Ghosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosts

Not really survival related but I wanted to mention this separate from today’s hunting report.

Having the hill to myself today had me a little weirded out right from the start. It’s not the way rifle season is supposed to begin. There’s lots of family history here but most of the hunters have passed on leaving my cousin and I as the last of our clan, not counting my two kids. In my head I can grasp this but I’m not liking it one bit. Doesn’t help he missed turkey season this spring, something that rarely has happened.

So as I’m walking around thinking about times past and wondering what the future has in store I take notice yet again of traces of the past around me. This area has miles and miles of stonewalls made from clearing fields. One thing about our hill that I’ve not seen on other properties are scores of stone piles. My 80 year old relative’s grandparents bought the place in the 1930’s and the piles were here before them. My guess is after slash and burn clearing back in the 1800’s these piles were made then left behind. Either because they weren’t needed or too far away to use. I can’t imagine how much work, how many people or how long it took doing this all by hand and a stone boat behind a horse. No more impressive than the walls by any means but just different. The walls had to get the stone from somewhere and I suppose this is how they started out, just piles of material gathered first.

The woods are growing back around them naturally, I don’t want them disturbed but eventually the place will get logged and they’ll probably be in the way.

Progress following progress or circle of life I guess.

C7EF2AF0-B096-4E3D-84FA-F73D0E1F96EE.jpg

732F3558-696F-4590-866D-36FCDFFACBAF.jpg

91C85E73-74B5-4AFD-AA8F-42457F3967BD.jpg

Stone pile pics

Comment

I get the weird feeling. Looks like someone piled up headstones to be used as grave markers later. Civil war? Revolutionary?🤔 Could be maybe it was a rough property boundary marker from some earlier time when someone valued their privacy. (Or their timber). Either way, very cool and a reminder that we, like the land or the deer we hunt, are renewable and temporary. Thanks Fitch. Stay safe.

Comment

We are but dust in the wind.

Comment

It would be a sad day indeed, if we couldn't look back on generations past and their accomplishments.

Comment

I have always been one to give my favoritism to the old ‘ways’ of our forefathers ! There are those who call me out- of- step with today’s world, but I am either reborn from a better time, or have somehow been gifted with ‘feeling’ of a more pleasing life ! Thanks Fitch for the photos which have placed me for a few minutes back into a more pleasant setting !!

Comment

Memories of old times and old timers?
              It don't get much better than that, unless you're sharing it with friends who understand!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                Memories of old times and old timers?
                It don't get much better than that, unless you're sharing it with friends who understand!
                A very good description of thought, thanks Bubba

:-)))

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget