Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you feel about saving a 50 pound black bear cub that was hit by a vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you feel about saving a 50 pound black bear cub that was hit by a vehicle?

I do not believe, National Parks get involved or interfere with nature.
    A vehicle, a plastic bucket or a barbwire fence is not nature.
    What is your opinion?
    Attached Files

I can see both sides of this issue.
    A rescued game animal could lose its fear of man and be an easy mark for a hunter.
    I know a woman who freed a deer with its hind leg caught in a barbed wire fence.
    As soon as it was released, the deer ran out onto the highway where it was killed by a truck.
    Let no good deed go unpunished.

Comment

I'd save it if I could. If it can be operated on and released without losing its wildness, great. If not, zoos and wildlife parks are good places to learn things about animals. If we're really stewards of the outdoors, I think we should do what we can to correct any unnatural occurrences, like an animal getting hit by a car.

Hunting is different because it's a part of deliberate, calculated conservation.

Comment

Lots of Bald Eagles are at the AEF facility in Dollywood, Tenn because they can not be released. Either they imprinted on humans like Challenger, or can not find food. They use them for breeding and hatch the young using a puppet for hands that look like an Eagle. When ready they release them. Challenger is almost 30 so they are training his replacement now for when he retires.
        A TV show of Australia zoo has a wedge tail Eagle who is almost tame. Visitors can hold him for pictures, $29.00. He has a 9' wingspan.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          I'd save it if I could. If it can be operated on and released without losing its wildness, great. If not, zoos and wildlife parks are good places to learn things about animals. If we're really stewards of the outdoors, I think we should do what we can to correct any unnatural occurrences, like an animal getting hit by a car.

Hunting is different because it's a part of deliberate, calculated conservation.
          Sportsmen are always saving deer and moose stuck on a frozen lake.
          I remember the young bull moose got his antlers caught in a chain hanging swing. The guy saving the moose was on a tree limb hanging above the moose with bolt cutters.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
            A rescued game animal could lose its fear of man and be an easy mark for a hunter.
            I know a woman who freed a deer with its hind leg caught in a barbed wire fence.
            As soon as it was released, the deer ran out onto the highway where it was killed by a truck.
            This cub was only with the sow for ten months. Black bear cubs get run off by mom after 22 months of learning the ropes in the wilderness.

Comment

Here is the little cub roadside news story guys.

https://www.njherald.com/20181214/50-pound-bear-cub-hit-by-car-recovering--at-sanctuary#

Comment

How do I feel about it??? Neutral, Emotionless...

What do I think? It's reasonable to spend a little effort and money on restoring the animal to the wild if it's all private funding. Heck, as hard-hearted as I am, every so often I donate to the local wild predator bird rehabilitation center.

By the way, plus 1.

Comment

What about putting out donuts and other goodies in a plastic barrel to attract bears ... so they can be shot. Not terribly natural.

When I was historian at Yosemite a few years back, the head of my division was also chief of resources. At one of our big management meetings she asked us to brainstorm solutions for the increased mortality of bear cub/vehicle collisions on the highway at Tulome Meadows. I pointed out to her that black bears were never historically in that area and only showed up when hotels and campgrounds were built. "Pick up the garbage every day, they'll all die off, and that will be the end of the problem. There's not enough natural food up there in that high country for them to survive. What's the big deal about an invasive species that's causing havoc on fragile mountain meadows getting killed by motor vehicles?" Boy, did she give me a tongue lashing! But she knows my logic is sound. Similarly, I was asked to review the WWII barium mine site above our office complex. She wanted me to assess the historical value of any machinery left up there. Also wanted my thoughts on how to deal with closing that mine. "Just seal it up." Oh, no can't do that. Some bats live in there. But again historically the bats weren't there because it's an artificial structure. "But, some might die if they can't find another place to go during the day." Pffft! They'll find someplace else to go ... or they will die. That's the nature of things. If the mine collapsed by itself (and caves do that all the time), the bats would similarly be SOL. The bat species was sorta unusual all right ... but only in that area ... where they never were before humans started messing with the environment. National Park Service managers are always willing to look the other way with their "let nature take its course" philosophy ... when it serves their touchy-feely agenda (e.g. ignoring the fact that human predation has always been part of the natural course). Or when it serves their economic agenda. Case in point there is the famous bear viewing attraction at Katmai National Park. Historically there were NO bears at Brooks River falls because that was the site of a large native fishing community for four thousand years before NPS took over. First residential bears showed up in the early seventies. Instead of chasing them off and keeping the place a human fishing community (for the outfitter lodge built there in 1955), the NPS created a fake bear attraction. That was a total violation of their mandate in the 1916 Organic Act. But it makes money. Forget about the dog-and-pony-show being totally artificial, non-historic, and unnatural. That's not important. It was mighty important, however, that I didn't tell the public what they were viewing was entirely artificial, unnatural, and created to make money.

If this bear cub was struck by a car in an environment where it would naturally occur, I can understand making artifical efforts to keep it alive. The death would not be due to natural circumstances. Quite the opposite. It's ethically justifiable to make every effort to correct that. On the other hand, no human effort should be made to save a young cub that has been mauled by a boar.

Comment

It may seem to be the humane thing to do but if it is correct, I am not too sure ! But then, I am not the one that makes that decision.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                      A fawn was stuck on a black top road and could get on it's feet. My nephew was going to get it and get it to the side where mom was probably waiting. As he approached it, it kicked him in the chest with both feet and almost knocked him out. Be Careful.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The college student puzzle..
                        by 99explorer
                        A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
                        The first station is a mile from home,...
                        Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                      • Pieces of gold.
                        by 99explorer
                        Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                        08-23-2019, 06:45 PM
                      • Mansion on fire.
                        by 99explorer
                        One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                        It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                        08-23-2019, 10:04 AM
                      • Firing squad.
                        by 99explorer
                        A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                        This final shot does...
                        08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                      • Lost in the woods.
                        by 99explorer
                        You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                        One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                        Two Indians...
                        08-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X