Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys do for leg cramps In bed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    Hydration is one of the keys to prevention, but when the cramp strikes, I find that immediately standing on the affected foot/leg relieves the cramp immediately.
    99, I wrote my ans. before seeing yours. The procedure works for me as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
      Cramps are largely caused by an electrolyte imbalance. It largely presents when people are dehydrated because your body goes into what's known as "hyponatremia" and / or "hypokalemia" low blood sodium or potassium, hence the banana comment.

Do yourself a favor and skip the pickle juice. Try some gatorade and daily stretching instead. I used to get wicked cramps in my calves. Have to do the stretching. If regular Gatorade is too sweet, dry the low sugar variety or Propel.
      I strongly second the stretching advice. As I get into my upper forties, I've been noticing a big difference when I do stretch vs. when I don't. And both of my geezer older brothers have always said that.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
        I get the old Lady to Play On the @%$#& and the stiff cramp goes away. LOL
        Thank You Mis, Toni Santa will be good TO YOU:-))
        Sometimes it's the love itself that hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
          Increase your calcium intake. More milk or even Tums. Yesterday I had a bit of cramping starting up in hamstring at the end of a long day up and down ravines hunting pheasants with Opal. I drained a quart of 1% when I returned to motel + some eggnog. No problems sleeping or during super long day today hunting all three dogs individually.
          You're welcome.

"Loss of fluids, salts, and minerals—especially sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium—can disrupt ion balances in both muscle and nerves. This imbalance can prevent the muscles and nerves from responding and recovering normally and can lead to cramping."

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
            I get the old Lady to Play On the @%$#& and the stiff cramp goes away. LOL
            Thank You Mis, Toni Santa will be good TO YOU:-))
            Fella asked his buddy if he'd ever really and truly hated anybody. When the buddy replied "No", he said, "Then you've never been in love, have you?"

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
              Cramps are largely caused by an electrolyte imbalance. It largely presents when people are dehydrated because your body goes into what's known as "hyponatremia" and / or "hypokalemia" low blood sodium or potassium, hence the banana comment.

Do yourself a favor and skip the pickle juice. Try some gatorade and daily stretching instead. I used to get wicked cramps in my calves. Have to do the stretching. If regular Gatorade is too sweet, dry the low sugar variety or Propel.
              Jimbo it definitely is; it all falls under various electrolyte imbalance conditions. I understand ATP and the Phosphate Ion's role in muscle contraction, but it's not the whole story.

Chemically Potassium is 4X as potent as Sodium, but they have similar but different transport mechanisms within the body. Whether it is Hyponatremia, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia(low blood calcium) or Hypomagnesemia (low blood magnesium), when the positively or negatively charged electrolytes gather too much in one area you'll get cramps, if there's not enough free transport of the those ions you'll get cramps.
              https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373711

What I do for my calf cramps, and thank God with the stretches it's been a long time; is grab the cramping muscle in an absolute vise-like pinch grip and massage it as best I can. Stretching man, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I never want to spend another day limping around because my calf muscles are acting up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget