Don't eat those squirrel brains!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't eat those squirrel brains!

A 61-year-old man near Rochester, New York, died recently of infectious prions in his brain, after eating the brains of the squirrels he shot. Do you eat brains?

I don't eat the brains of anything, but having read the story, I didn't know that rodents were known carriers of prions.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      I don't eat the brains of anything, but having read the story, I didn't know that rodents were known carriers of prions.
      I think someone mentioned that disease with squirrels on here or on FS once upon a time, but this is the first I've heard of it actually happening. I know that hog brains and calf brains are eaten pretty commonly in some circles, but even if safety is guaranteed, I'll still pass.

Comment

Never had brains that I know of.

Comment

Fortunatly, I have enough of my own not to !!

Comment

It's not much of a meal anyway.

Comment

A Variant of Mad Cow Disease.....OHIO & W Virginia are big squirrel eating states. (Tree Rats) Squirrel are or is Survival Food that's all!!

Comment

There is a new disease like polio, but not polio. Spreading through a dozen States - no idea of etiology and no cure.

Comment

Mad Cow Disease ...
                  https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS691US693&q=how+did+mad+cow+ disease+start&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRnYrRkJDeAhXoUt8KHT xTAjUQ1QIIwgEoBA&biw=835&bih=874

Comment

Our health department keeps our country healthy with needed shots to children to keep diseases at baye. One of the problems with illegal immigration is the introduction of diseases by non-inoculated people, diseases that have been under control for years, now being reintroduced. Polio is one of those diseases. But of course we are PC told that there are no dangers from illegals for any reason, even though there are several from health reasons !!

Comment

I dunno Treestand.. I don't hunt and eat a lot of squirrel, but I think they are the one thing I've ever had that when prepared right are actually a decent chicken substitute.

Comment

BHR, More common from illegal aliens are Hepatitis and T.B.
                        L.A. has an outbreak of Typhus going on right now. Typhus is spread by fleas and found in feces. So much for pooping on the street. CA has some huge problems. They now want to know if contractors working for the City belong to the NRA. You can see where that is going.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget