.44mag or 10mm bear protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .44mag or 10mm bear protection

interesting vid from TheFiearmBlog. Good photography and 'slow motion' is an eye opener.
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/08/10/guns-vs-bears-2-glock-or-44-magnum-for-grizzly/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_conten t=2018-08-14&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

The guy likes to hear himself talk. He could have cut the video time by 50% without much effort. It's an interesting question and some good points were brought up. However, it's all speculation. There was no research data presented concerning actual use of the two rounds.

A quick search brought up the article below posted on ammoland. It's an interesting summation of 37 incidents where a handgun was used against a bear. All but one was successful. The lowly 9mm performed 4 out of 4 times. It's all about shot placement and bullet construction, not the cartridge that launched it.

By the way, note that most of the time a high capacity firearm is not required.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
      The guy likes to hear himself talk. He could have cut the video time by 50% without much effort. It's an interesting question and some good points were brought up. However, it's all speculation. There was no research data presented concerning actual use of the two rounds.

A quick search brought up the article below posted on ammoland. It's an interesting summation of 37 incidents where a handgun was used against a bear. All but one was successful. The lowly 9mm performed 4 out of 4 times. It's all about shot placement and bullet construction, not the cartridge that launched it.

By the way, note that most of the time a high capacity firearm is not required.
      Tyler Freel, with Outdoor Life is a Alaskan that does guiding and a lot of hunting of his own. He did an article a couple years ago for OL how he (and his friends) modified their Glock 10mm for bear protection. I have e-mailed him a few times and he is very savvy on hunting & fishing.

Comment

I'll take my Gl-20/10mm 14+1 over the 44-6shot Magnum any day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          Treestand, having the extra capacity is probably the best choice. But I wouldn't feel under gunned against a black bear while carrying my Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt with hot handloads. So far, all shots on deer and pigs have been complete pass throughs with the 250 grain Hornady XTP's.

Comment

In a tuff situation I don't want to place some well placed shots, I want to place lots of well placed shots. Big Difference with handgun Firepower!!

Comment

Probably wouldn't get the opportunity to get more than a handful of well placed shots. Most likely, everything would occur very fast. Better make the first couple count

Comment

Sorry Jimbo, an eleven minute video is a little to long for me. No disrespect brother.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget