Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its time. I'm going in the hospital to get knee surgery. I will be out of work for three weeks. Any ideas on how to kill time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
    A large Ice pack on my knee twenty minutes on, and twenty minutes off up till bedtime.
    Doctor said the ice pack and the TV remote will be my best friend the next few days.
    Also Doc said keep the sore knee elevated.
    The nurses said the socks are yours. Those sneaky FilmFlam artists.
    Can picture walking into a guided deer camp with hunters from other states wearing yellow socks?
    “Who is this pervert wearing yellow socks ?” LOL

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Treestand View Post
    Big>G You could try: Swing Dancing, Jump Rope & Do Double Dutch, Soccer, 100yd Dash, Cross Country Run, Log Rolling Contest, Pole Climbing Or Seat back and get stoned on Pain Pills Or Booze like most do!
    If you were in Michigan you could take your food in on a ATV & trailer and take your bear out the same way. For a single permit you can ride all the trails they have - 1 hour in the early AM and 1 hour late PM. No riding during the day.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by rockhound View Post
    Listen to your doctor is the first answer to this question. 2nd is never second guess the better half. They are on your side!
    Big G, since I busted up my hip in Dec of '91, I've had to sleep with a pillow between my knees!
    Gets old in the hot summertime, so I kicked it out on the floor one July night.
    About 30 minutes later, I woke up in pain, retrieved the pillow, stuck it back between my knees and went right back to sleep!
    Doc told me there would be nights like that! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    A large Ice pack on my knee twenty minutes on, and twenty minutes off up till bedtime.
    Doctor said the ice pack and the TV remote will be my best friend the next few days.
    Make no mistake Big G, you OR the insurance company paid for those socks! LOL!
    They may be buried in the "Misc" column on your bill, but "horse pistols" don't give NUTHIN' away!
    When I had my right thumb worked on, they gave me a block of foam rubber about 12×12×12.
    It had holes and cutouts so that I could rest my hand comfortably until the pain subsided! $150!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    Good news Gary! I've actually performed (simulated) the surgery you're talking about on ATD (dummies). I assume you mean joint replacement since you've got the 3 week downtime.
    So, I may be able to offer some insight. If you get the surgery soon, and you're diligent about PT you can expect near 100% recovery in about 3months, which means your hunting season isn't a bust. Right?

For the pain you might want to look into Kratom as an alternative to opiates. I'm hesitant to recommend that given the controversial nature, but it is legal, and the pain relief has been compared to tramadol or vicodin.

As for killing time. I'm currently looking for work Gary, when not filling out applications and having interviews, I've started watching these youtube videos about different methods primitive peoples may have used in survival building. I start watching and I can't stop, extremely fascinating.
    BTW, They do have videos of knee Arthroscopic Surgery online.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
    Good news Gary! I've actually performed (simulated) the surgery you're talking about on ATD (dummies). I assume you mean joint replacement since you've got the 3 week downtime.
    So, I may be able to offer some insight. If you get the surgery soon, and you're diligent about PT you can expect near 100% recovery in about 3months, which means your hunting season isn't a bust. Right?

For the pain you might want to look into Kratom as an alternative to opiates. I'm hesitant to recommend that given the controversial nature, but it is legal, and the pain relief has been compared to tramadol or vicodin.

As for killing time. I'm currently looking for work Gary, when not filling out applications and having interviews, I've started watching these youtube videos about different methods primitive peoples may have used in survival building. I start watching and I can't stop, extremely fascinating.
    No thanks Buck, I don't watch needles or removing blood from my arm, ever since our giant high school basketball center and classmate fainted when he pic his finger in biology class to check his blood type. ? He fell like a tree. ?
    Gutting fish and game with their site of blood is no problem. ?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by rockhound View Post
    Listen to your doctor is the first answer to this question. 2nd is never second guess the better half. They are on your side!
    Rock, My wife has been fantastic. She sets the timer for the ice. 20 minutes on and 20 off. She has me doing a six inch raise excerise with my leg. Yesterday, I did 4 and today, I did twenty leg lifts in the recliner. My stitches come out on Thursday.
    Sleeping sucks with my knee being elevated on a pillow during the entire night. ?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Yes, and I could not believe they had them. Plus, they gave them to me, instead of washing them for the next injured victim. ?
    I should of told everybody in that early black bear thread, that I wear 14 Wide Muck Boot. They measure a bear's weight by the width of the track not the length. ?

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    They had socks that big?!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    I thought canceling the New Jersey bear hunt was a done deal? What happened?
    Dewman,
    Thank you for caring about me in my situation. ?&?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    Big G- Forget all that rehab malarkey! Find the best looking nurse on your floor, jump out of bed, and chase her down the halls! Ignore the pain, no pain, no gain! Of course, if she won't run, and stands there with her fists doubled up, there is a problem. Disregard above advice, and return to bed, immediately.
    Don't aggerfret Momma, for goodness sakes! Leave the nurses alone, and get well quick!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    You should get a copy of Larry Kaniut's "Alaska Bear Tales." Lots of bear hunting and accounts of bear attacks. Speedy recovery, Gary! (If you get real bored, you could always write up a few wildlife quiz contests. I always enjoy them.)After I posted this, I replied to your reply on my smart-animal thread but didn't know if you'd be returning to it. You should check out "The Wild North" on YouTube. It's a guy named Andrew in the NWT of Canada; he's got all kinds of bear-hunting videos, and footage of bears lurking around his cabin. Black bears, not grizz.
    Thank you Matt.
    The Outdoor Life user who complains a lot, doesn’t like wildlife quizzes either. ?
    Add that to his list of his dislikes.
    That's a good idea Matt ? and one ding is well worth it.
    Plus, I can stand a bully. ?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Devine
    replied
    Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    Big G- Forget all that rehab malarkey! Find the best looking nurse on your floor, jump out of bed, and chase her down the halls! Ignore the pain, no pain, no gain! Of course, if she won't run, and stands there with her fists doubled up, there is a problem. Disregard above advice, and return to bed, immediately.
    LOL If I chased a nurse my wife would be close behind swinging her filled handbag at me.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    Gary - The time in the hospital and rehab center will go quickly, as there will be many people coming and going through your room, drawing blood, checking your vitals, etc.
    If it's your left knee, you will be able to drive much sooner than if it's your right.
    Good luck and God bless.
    Go for it, lol! Was going to suggest it but went with the book idea instead. By the way, I didn't ding you on this one.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X