Care to share? Dumb injuries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    I'm not going through all of my boneheaded injuries, but this has me thinking of useful points to be made.

I've received plenty of cuts doing all kinds of things, one thing I will say is a cheap socket set isn't just inconvenient, you can really hurt yourself when you're putting a couple hundred foot pounds on something and a socket cracks.

A couple of season ago one of the ladies on Alone had to go home after she was splitting wood, holding the round and just kind of starting the cut to baton the top. Head rebounded, skittered, and came down on her thumb. She may have severed the tendon or nerve, had no use of digit, and called it quits because you don't have a lot of time to have that repaired if it happens. I've dinged my hand less severely doing that exact thing.

If I recall she was a fire jumper or at least a wild fire fighter. What was interesting to me (other than the shame of it, she seemed like a real contender) was her reaction. The decision to bail was a smart one.

You have to imagine considering her background she had significant first aid and medial training. She clearly had no idea how to use the emergency first aid supplies that were in their "come get me" kits. She didn't pack it down and keep pressure on it. (I don't know if they had and I don't think it really needed a tourniquet) She dabbed at it with gauze until out of clean gauze, probably disturbing any clotting more than helping, and was clearly panicked that that wasn't stopping the bleed until the crew arrived..
    Get first aid training, have gear. My experience is I very quickly revert to the level of training and experience I have (the latter is not very significant) when something happens. But if you find yourself panicking and nothing's working, stop and take a deeeeep breath. Calm yourself down. Panic really can kill.

That and if you don't have a legit first aid/individual trauma kit in your workshop, you should.
    Maintaining your calm is likely the most important factor. The "threes" of survival that I was taught: 3wks w/o food, 3days w/o water, 3hrs shelter, 3mins oxygen, 3 second with the wrong attitude (pessimism, panic, etc.)
    At this point, I have survived enough medium-severity cuts that I automatically step back from whatever happened, with pressure on the wound (that was difficult this time, with 2 wounds bleeding simultaneously), and think. That whole process is muscle memory, and lasts 2 minutes or so. Then, I start walking (sheepishly) home, where I wash the wound, discuss the incident with my mother, and dress the wound.
    Training is also important-the clean gauze is certainly a much-overlooked consideration. The idea is to leave one (or more) on until the blood clots (don't take any off-add more if necessary), then later, clean up and redress with clean gauze. I have plenty of kits, but I need to start carrying them with me (as soon as I'm out of high school!) A basic first-aid kit should include: antiseptic (alcohol wipes, H2O2, etc.), bandaids, antibiotic cream (in my case, I'm allergic to bacitracin, so I use neomycin sulfate) for minor(or medium) cuts/burns; butterfly bandages (or a suture kit) and gauze and tape for more major stuff; knife, scissors, tweezers, bandage/compression wrap, magnifying glass (not often mentioned, but helpful). Icepacks, tourniquet, etc, etc, are all also good to have. I think that tourniquets in particular are "MacGyverable," provided you have the presence of mind to work (and basic materials). Having another person is always a help (OK, it might depend upon the person).
    Strange that TV would feature someone unprepared for their situation... Oh, wait, never mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
      Coincidentally, the same thing happened to me a few months ago. Fortunately I was wearing a thick jacket and the knife was dull. Had that not been the case, I might have slit my wrists.

I’m sure I have been injured some strange ways before, but my mind is currently drawing a blank.
      I've had similar renegade drill-press project mishaps before too, which should have been reason enough to to secure my work-piece, but you know how we teenagers are... ! I'm not sure what difference the sharpness made, I have been injured before by unmodified 1/4" stock that spun, and the corners could do a lot of damage! In this case, I think that I was whacked (in the palm) when the bit first grabbed, which would probably have been a minor bruise had it no been sharpened; then my thumb was filleted (at the joint) after the blade had spun once and gained rotational inertia, with a dull object, it would have definitely hurt, and possibly done internal damage. Who can say for sure? Moral of the story: secure your work-piece!

Comment

I'll add last year's dumb injury (which reminds me, our ice was GONE by this time last year, there's still 2 feet of ice now; Man am I ready for spring!)

I was out with my brother in our paddleboat, muskrat hunting with a bow/arrow. We saw a rat surface about 50 yds away, and started sneakily paddling towards him. At about 20 yds, he gets a bit fidgety, so I let loose. The arrow flies true, he quivers on the surface. We pedal over to him, and I pick up the arrow (still in the body). Suddenly, the rat writhes around and bites me (I think, could've been a scratch) on the finger. Yikes!
        As I tended to my wound, my brother whaled on the poor guy with a shovel. This caused problems later, when I took the muskrat to the U of MN to be tested for rabies, because the brain was too damaged. Sooo... better safe than sorry; I went for rabies shots a week later (if I remember correctly): Day 7 (after the bite): 7mls of Immune Globulin (I think HRIG?) the antibodies to fight rabies, including 3 mls in my finger (it was bloated afterwards!) plus 1 ml rabies vaccine (its bright purple/pink, not natural!) Day 10, 14, 21: 1ml pink fluid, alternating shoulders. At least we had (good) insurance! Total cost was around $3k, I paid $34, insurance paid the rest. Now, if I am "safe" for 10 years, and inf exposed in the future, I just need 2 shots: 1 ml of vaccine ASAP and same 3 days later.
        I learned a lot about rabies and other animal-borne diseases, so I consider the lesson(s) worth the pain and minor fees (~$25 for testing at the U, $34 for medical treatment). It could have been MUCH worse!

Comment

I have a scar right above my left elbow from when I was helping dad cut twine out of the disc mower, I was 7 or 8 at the time. More scars on my forearms than I care to count from wrenches slipping, thorns, barbed wire and burns. A scar on the back of my head from falling backwards off a block bucket as a toddler.
          I can say from experience that it's best to not wear jeans with holes in the knees while welding. You simply can't get your shoe off fast enough.
          Never have broken any bones or gotten stitches.
          Probably the most exciting incident of my teen years was the tractor loosing steering as I was driving across a bridge, fortunately it had concrete banisters and we had the duals off. That bothered mom more than it did me, one of her brothers was killed in a similar manner.

Comment

I’ve had 30+ stitches, broke my right arm at t-ball age, shattered my left hand playing in an adult softball league, broken two ribs in a (sanctioned) bar fight. Been in a couple vehicle wrecks (only one while driving). Mangled myself several times growing up with four wheelers and dirt bikes. I once nearly removed a digit with a knife while lobstering 35 miles off shore. I’ve taken a 24 ounce estwing hammer smack between the eyes claw first. Had a flapper wheel blow off a 4” grinder and split my inner thigh an inch below my privates, wrecked a brand new pair of jeans too. Got burned pretty good on my forearm grabbing a young kid from tripping into a campfire. I also host a pretty stupid cigarette burn on the inside of my left bicep from trying to out do a friend. I’ve had hypothermia once and frostbite once. I fell 13 feet to concrete on a job site and didn’t break anything but my back hasn’t been the same since. I’ve had to ride a snowmobile 60 miles with a 1 1/4” x 1/4” pick from the track of the snowmobile ahead of me stuck in my right shoulder... not sure what else but I’m sure I’ve done plenty more dumb I cant think of... my friends generally try to goat me with “the old Matt would’ve done it!!” I try really hard to prove the new me won’t.

Comment

Just toooo many to list.;-))

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Tripped on a vine and fell on a stump cut down by a beaver to a sharp point. I fell on the stump with my full weight as it was taller than my arm could reach the ground and break my fall. The point hit me under the arm pit right in the ribs. Lucky my ATV was not too far away and I crawled to it and managed to get on.
                Jhimbo that one hits close to home. I climbed out of one of my stands last year because I was up above, looking at all of the small diameter stumps that I'd left when I cleared the lane that were in range of me having a mishap and landing on them and decided that needed to get fixed NOW. I'm sure they could impale you off a fall from a height, if not while tripping on a walk.

Comment

Power equipment can hurt you.

I've got a scar on my left arm from a chainsaw a few years ago. Was cutting near to a wire fence. Didn't realize some of the wire had unraveled into the pile. Bar caught a piece of steel and came up with all the speed and force of a bat. I distinctly recall watching the tip go past my nose as I got my head out of the way. It wrenched both my wrists far enough around to impact on my left bicep. Try to do that while holding a chainsaw normally and you'll realize what that takes. Caught up in the fleece lined sweatshirt I was wearing and immediately stopped. I don't recall if the jolt knocked the brake into play. Teeth didn't cut as much as leave a brand in the tooth pattern on my arm and bruise me bone deep. Probably what getting hit with Lucille would feel like.

Last year I was taking off my boots after cutting and realized that I had clearly skittered the saw across the instep of my right boot's sole. Neither realized or felt when that happened.

Busted open a finger a couple of years ago trimming a small piece real quick on a table saw... because it was expedient. partway through the tooth caught on the piece and it launched it. I wasn't initially sure that my finger hadn't got pulled in.. no more of a blunt force "splat" hard enough to split the skin open.

One of the worst was electrical related, but not really an electrocution. One of the programmable thermostats in the house went bad about 6 years after I replaced 8 of the things. Pulled it and put in a new one (different model). New one's screen was live but no power to heater.. hmm. Look at the directions and there's a breaker in the back of it's box that's defaulted to off. Open up box and push BOOOM!. I was alone in the house and really thought it had just killed me. I don't mean I though I was dead, I mean I thought I was in deep dookie and alone. Thumb was bleeding and charred (not life endangering). Tshirt I was wearing had a charred hole in it and there was a black molten patch of skin visible with blood immediately seeping through the tshirt. Thing also hit me hard enough that I thought there was a real chance it had punctured my chest. Hurt like hell, impact and heat. Pulled shirt, self assessed, just surface damage. Abrasions, bruise, and molten plastic stuck to skin. Found the melted switch from that breaker in my bed room 45' away and around a bend and through a doorway in the house a week later. That was like 3 years ago. I just replaced that thing this winter.. same model as the original one.. no issue. But I was very conscious of turning it on.
                  Good God.

Comment

Power equipment can hurt you.

I've got a scar on my left arm from a chainsaw a few years ago. Was cutting near to a wire fence. Didn't realize some of the wire had unraveled into the pile. Bar caught a piece of steel and came up with all the speed and force of a bat. I distinctly recall watching the tip go past my nose as I got my head out of the way. It wrenched both my wrists far enough around to impact on my left bicep. Try to do that while holding a chainsaw normally and you'll realize what that takes. Caught up in the fleece lined sweatshirt I was wearing and immediately stopped. I don't recall if the jolt knocked the brake into play. Teeth didn't cut as much as leave a brand in the tooth pattern on my arm and bruise me bone deep. Probably what getting hit with Lucille would feel like.

Last year I was taking off my boots after cutting and realized that I had clearly skittered the saw across the instep of my right boot's sole. Neither realized or felt when that happened.

Busted open a finger a couple of years ago trimming a small piece real quick on a table saw... because it was expedient. partway through the tooth caught on the piece and it launched it. I wasn't initially sure that my finger hadn't got pulled in.. no more of a blunt force "splat" hard enough to split the skin open.

One of the worst was electrical related, but not really an electrocution. One of the programmable thermostats in the house went bad about 6 years after I replaced 8 of the things. Pulled it and put in a new one (different model). New one's screen was live but no power to heater.. hmm. Look at the directions and there's a breaker in the back of it's box that's defaulted to off. Open up box and push BOOOM!. I was alone in the house and really thought it had just killed me. I don't mean I though I was dead, I mean I thought I was in deep dookie and alone. Thumb was bleeding and charred (not life endangering). Tshirt I was wearing had a charred hole in it and there was a black molten patch of skin visible with blood immediately seeping through the tshirt. Thing also hit me hard enough that I thought there was a real chance it had punctured my chest. Hurt like hell, impact and heat. Pulled shirt, self assessed, just surface damage. Abrasions, bruise, and molten plastic stuck to skin. Found the melted switch from that breaker in my bed room 45' away and around a bend and through a doorway in the house a week later. That was like 3 years ago. I just replaced that thing this winter.. same model as the original one.. no issue. But I was very conscious of turning it on.
                    One of my not so proud chainsaw moments I was a cutting a limb that was sagging over the driveway (that whole tree began to lean and I dropped it not too long after) to the point that trash pickup couldn't come down. 16' extension ladder, Husqvarna and a good 4" diameter limb that I cut at the trunk that totaled a couple feet shorter than the ladder. Damn thing fell free, struck the ground almost vertical, recoiled back off the ground slamming into my left leg and sweeping the ladder out from under me. I had just enough reflexes and purchase on the ladder to jump clear of it, I was maybe 10' off the ground.... I didn't want to destroy my saw though. Managed to land on my feet (deep knee bend) with the running saw held out as far as I could in my right arm. It still hit the ground on the impact, but it was mostly attenuated and never even stopped running. I looked around just HOPING that someone was at the trailhead lot and had seen that, but no joy.

Comment

Tripped on a vine and fell on a stump cut down by a beaver to a sharp point. I fell on the stump with my full weight as it was taller than my arm could reach the ground and break my fall. The point hit me under the arm pit right in the ribs. Lucky my ATV was not too far away and I crawled to it and managed to get on.
                      Several places in my favorite fishing spots have small trees chewed off by beavers, small enough to basically be spear-points sticking straight up. When the weeds get high in the summer, it's a bit of a concern. So far the worst I've suffered is a hole in the neoprene waders when one of the points went up the side of my leg right above the wading shoe. Good thing the beavers improve the fishing (generally speaking, anyway: Timber in the crappie ponds, deeper pools in the trout streams), otherwise I might get to feeling vengeful.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                        Had umbilical hernia surgery today. So I'm on some good stuff. They said not to lift anything over 10 lbs or do anything strenuous for the next 6 weeks. They wanted to do it in November but I said screw that! Let's wait until after deer and small game season ;-D
                        I hope the surgery went well! 10lbs... A fishing rod doesn't weigh that much... Just don't catch too big of a fish, I suppose. Get well soon!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
                          Had umbilical hernia surgery today. So I'm on some good stuff. They said not to lift anything over 10 lbs or do anything strenuous for the next 6 weeks. They wanted to do it in November but I said screw that! Let's wait until after deer and small game season ;-D
                          Man, I'm in an office and would still have to think about keeping uder 10 lbs. I'm not sure how I'd manage my home life.
                          Take care, sir.

Comment

I may occasionally violate that on a low ladder stand, but with tree sticks/hang ons/or climbers, yes, I'm always wearing a harness. This was a hang on with tree sticks.

Still, the fact that I'd created anti infantry spikes within a reasonable slip and fall distance of my stand didn't sit well with me. They had to go.

Comment

I’ve had more than my fair share. Once last year while practicing with my bow I relaxed my grip hand TOO much and my finger got in the way of the arrow, thankfully only the edge of the Muzzy blade caught my finger and just gave a deep cut. Nothing some paper towels, duct tape and neosporin couldn’t fix. I’ve buried fish hooks in my hand more times than I care to remember and used the same remedy as above. A few times in the Marine Corps I’ve fallen off of elevated objects that I had no business falling off of, one time landing on my head from about 12’ up. I’ve got some others from working on the farm and in construction. But I don’t think I’m nearly as accident prone as Dewman seems to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                                I’ve had more than my fair share. Once last year while practicing with my bow I relaxed my grip hand TOO much and my finger got in the way of the arrow, thankfully only the edge of the Muzzy blade caught my finger and just gave a deep cut. Nothing some paper towels, duct tape and neosporin couldn’t fix. I’ve buried fish hooks in my hand more times than I care to remember and used the same remedy as above. A few times in the Marine Corps I’ve fallen off of elevated objects that I had no business falling off of, one time landing on my head from about 12’ up. I’ve got some others from working on the farm and in construction. But I don’t think I’m nearly as accident prone as Dewman seems to be.
                                I don't think I was accident prone as much as no one told me I was mortal : )

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget