Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knee Scope Surgery or a knee replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Scope Surgery or a knee replacement?

A year and a half ago I posted a thread about my tear in my knee. My knee doctor has been giving me cortisone or a lubricant needle every three months? ?I do not want to prolong this damn pain. I believe knee needles are a constant golden goose paycheck from my insurance company. ?
    Has anybody had their knee surgery. ?????
    My knee surgery is planned in July so I can recoup in the AC for three weeks instead of working in 98 degree heat.
    Any ideas or comments.
    I tell you later in the thread what my knee doctor said.
    Attached Files

To me, surgery would be more desirable than a replacement. The Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine corrects athelete injuries all the time with micro surgery.
    Replacements can go wrong. A RN friend had to have one of hers done twice because of a failure. A guy I know had both done at the same time - he said he would never do that again. I also understand a replacement is only good for so many years. That is all I know about them.
    Being a skiier and working out in a spa I think my joints are o.k. In the spa on the machine doing leg presses I was pressing 1150lbs 15 times. I think that helps to keep the structure of the knee in good shape.

Comment

I have a prosthetic hip.
      It was installed in '05. Had I only known, I would have done it MUCH sooner.
      1) Joint replacement surgery isn't the "bug-a-boo" it was even 10 years ago.
      2) The younger you have a replacement done, the easier it is to get back on your feet.
      3) Research and vet a replacement surgeon VERY well. My replacement surgeon was once the head orthopedic surgeon for the U.S. Olympic team.
      4) DO THE REHAB!

Big G, a friend had knee replacement surgery done the same day I had my hip replaced.
      Two weeks later, I was walking with a cane. He was on crutches.
      Six weeks later, I kept a cane in my truck for emergencies. He was still on crutches.
      Knee replacement, I think, is the hardest "joint replacement" surgery to overcome...but well worth the effort!
      If there is even the slightest chance the surgery "may not" be successful or may have to be redone in a few years, go with the replacement.
      If I'm not mistaken, you're above "average" size.
      If your knees are breaking down, the surgeries will only continue.
      Do the replacement, do it once and go on about your life.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        To me, surgery would be more desirable than a replacement. The Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine corrects athelete injuries all the time with micro surgery.
        Replacements can go wrong. A RN friend had to have one of hers done twice because of a failure. A guy I know had both done at the same time - he said he would never do that again. I also understand a replacement is only good for so many years. That is all I know about them.
        Being a skiier and working out in a spa I think my joints are o.k. In the spa on the machine doing leg presses I was pressing 1150lbs 15 times. I think that helps to keep the structure of the knee in good shape.
        Jim, I heard horror stories about scope knee surgery.
        Read this link titled, how Canada is wasting money on knee surgeries.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/arthroscopic-surgery-useless-1.4110569

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
          I have a prosthetic hip.
          2) The younger you have a replacement done, the easier it is to get back on your feet.
          3) Research and vet a replacement surgeon VERY well. My replacement surgeon was once the head orthopedic surgeon for the U.S. Olympic team.
          4) DO THE REHAB!

Big G, a friend had knee replacement surgery done the same day I had my hip replaced.
          Six weeks later, I kept a cane in my truck for emergencies. He was still on crutches.
          Knee replacement, I think, is the hardest "joint replacement" surgery to overcome...but well worth the effort!
          If there is even the slightest chance the surgery "may not" be successful or may have to be redone in a few years, go with the replacement.
          I believe once Plumbing contractors reach sixty their knees are shot. Thanks to crawl spaces, underneath sinks, replacing toilet flanges ... ??

Comment

I have a prosthetic hip.
            4) DO THE REHAB!

This I can tell you from experience, Gary.
            My home is on a slab. Occasionally, I will lay down in the floor to play with my Rottweiler. I have to remember to lay down on my right side. If I roll over on my left side to get up, what's between the implant and the concrete gets "pinched"! OUCH!!!
            A "repaired" knee will only take so much abuse before it has to be "re-repaired".
            An implant, not so much. Properly done, an implant is a "once in a lifetime" affair.
            ASK about a knee implant and the implications of "kneeling" or working on your knees. Maybe you'll have to invest in some high quality knee pads.
            About the second time they came at me with those cortisone needles, I'd just have to walk (crawl?) out!
            Once is enough!

Comment

I have a prosthetic hip.
              4) DO THE REHAB!

My orthopedic surgeon constantly reminds me that even implants wear out.
              He also stated that the implant he installed in my hip is the same "style" implant that he sees in patients that were installed in the late 50's!
              More than anything else, everybody reacts differently to implants.
              With my past experience, I'd go with the implant. I despise surgery!
              If I'M going under the knife, I want to do it ONCE and be done with it!

Comment

Do what the doctor recommends, not us old codgers. My wife as had both hips and a rotator cup repaired, no regrets. I had a knee done ages ago, one cortisone treatment with the big needle was enough for me. We do not get younger and the conditions worsen. Could be worse, they shoot horses.

Comment

I had a total joint replacement done on my right knee eleven years ago. No more pain.
                  I am constantly aware that it is not my original knee because when I walk (no running), I am conscious that I am wearing something (like a knee band) down there. My left leg is still the stronger of the two, and I consider the left my "good knee."
                  Also, it takes longer before you can drive if your right knee is replaced.
                  Knee replacement is a big deal, but when it is over, you will be glad you had it done.
                  There is something called a "partial knee replacement," but I don't know anything about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
                    Do what the doctor recommends, not us old codgers. My wife as had both hips and a rotator cup repaired, no regrets. I had a knee done ages ago, one cortisone treatment with the big needle was enough for me. We do not get younger and the conditions worsen. Could be worse, they shoot horses.
                    Happy, with all due respect, surgeons tend to recommend surgery.
                    To a man whose only tool is a hammer, every problem is a nail.
                    I can only think of one exception.
                    After having total knee replacement recommended by one orthopedic surgeon, I waited a full year, and then visited another orthopedic surgeon, who asked me if I could climb stairs in reciprocal steps without having to drag one leg behind me.
                    I answered yes, and he said I was not yet ready for a complete joint replacement. When a surgeon tells me I do NOT need surgery, I believe him.
                    I waited about another five years before the pain convinced me that I was ready.

Comment

The Clinic fixes up million dollar athlets all day long without problems.

#1 that.s Canada
                      #2 they are talking about arthritis.

Comment

Big G!
                        Canada?
                        C'mon! Gov't run healthcare?
                        Remember the Obamacare death panels?

Comment

I have a prosthetic hip.
                          4) DO THE REHAB!

I kneeled my whole life on concrete slabs, concrete crawlspaces, ceramic floors, hard wood floors and other hard surfaces. I wish I knew when I was younger to protect my knees. Now, I have two one inch thick heavy duty black protable knee mats on my work truck. I bought them at the Home Depot. They help a lot. ?
                          I warn all the young guys in the trade today, to buy knee pads or knee mats. If they don't listen they will pay for later in life. ??????
                          I could not climb up my tree stand without a cortisone shot in my knee. ??

Comment

99, a second opinion is sound advice. These days surgical procedures seem to get better as time goes by

Comment

Thanks Guys for taking the time and your opinions. ?
                              My knee doctor said a knee replacement is the better way to go and is a guarantee against pain still hanging around in ten months.
                              My 54 year old neighbor had his knee scoped by my doctor and he is playing softball with no pain.
                              Question, could my neighbor play softball with a knee replacement?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Returned Leupold vx2 follow through-
                                by dewman
                                Received my 2001 Leupold vx2 back from them today. Thankfully my scope was repaired instead of substituting. My lenses look amazing, can't believe they...
                                10-26-2021, 02:36 PM
                              • Bee hive construction
                                by FirstBubba
                                So far, I've built a "bee vacuum" and a "swarm trap".
                                When I deploy the trap this spring, I'll need at least one hive....I hope!...
                                10-24-2021, 10:45 PM
                              • He’s in
                                by fitch270
                                The Kid got his acceptance letter yesterday from the college he’s mainly interested in. Including a decent scholarship right off the top. Still another...
                                10-24-2021, 07:07 PM
                              • 280AI Draws First Blood
                                by Ernie
                                BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
                                I finally was able to draw first blood...
                                10-23-2021, 04:27 PM
                              • Preserving meat, fish and produce.
                                by FirstBubba
                                This subject was broached as a tangent to another thread on F&S!

Do you process your own game?

What preservation methods...
                                10-21-2021, 09:21 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X