Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A new buck showed up, at four-thirty this morning on Southern Iowa Live Cam. It looks like his back leg is broken.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new buck showed up, at four-thirty this morning on Southern Iowa Live Cam. It looks like his back leg is broken.

The leg is hanging and he is not putting any weight on it. My opinion, it looks like he was in a collision with a vehicle.
    His antlers are growing a little to the side in the photo posted below, so the accident occur before his antler growth.

My question is, if he survives the winter, will his antlers grow in the same sideward direction?
    Attached Files

Mr.G. I agree his lower leg is broken. Seen 3 legged deer before, survivable. As the lower leg loses blood flow and withers, eventually falling off. But as a livestock raiser, I believe he has suffered hip or low back damage as he is very emanciated above the break. This can be very bad. At the least his immune system is going to fall heavily making him much more susceptible to sickness. Cold weather and deep snow will be more than his back and hips will bear. Having a feeder will help but I think all the congregated scent will draw curious predators. I wouldn't bet on him for next spring. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Agree with everything Dewman said as far as the "diagnosis" goes...this buck is gonna have a rough future. He already looks sick, although that could just be the lighting.

Comment

As my Italian Grandmother would say Hes'a No look'a so good!!

jmo) That buck need to be put down pronto!!

Comment

Nature has its own Laws. We can prolong the inevitable but in the end nature wins. Sad to see but the truth hurts sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            Mr.G. I agree his lower leg is broken. Seen 3 legged deer before, survivable. As the lower leg loses blood flow and withers, eventually falling off. But as a livestock raiser, I believe he has suffered hip or low back damage as he is very emanciated above the break. This can be very bad. At the least his immune system is going to fall heavily making him much more susceptible to sickness. Cold weather and deep snow will be more than his back and hips will bear. Having a feeder will help but I think all the congregated scent will draw curious predators. I wouldn't bet on him for next spring. Just my 2 cents
            Mr. D, good comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
              As my Italian Grandmother would say Hes'a No look'a so good!!

jmo) That buck need to be put down pronto!!
              Agree

Comment

Probably so,the pedisiles were damaged from impact,bucks for some reason often show antler deformities after trauma.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget