Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend moved to South Carolina. He's been texting me poisonous snake photos. How bad is their bite if he gets hit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend moved to South Carolina. He's been texting me poisonous snake photos. How bad is their bite if he gets hit?

I told him he is nuts.
    If you play fire you'll get burnt.
    Attached Files

He looks like he knows what he is doing. I do the same myself, you know how much I dig snakes. That's a copperhead and their bite is actually fairly mild in comparison to other venomous snakes. I have know people that didn't even go to hospital. Swelling and pain. However I would suggest you get your butt to the ER immediately!

Comment

Knew a kid that got hit on the lower leg by a rattler while out quail hunting.
      Apparently he got a pretty good dose. Caused permanent muscle damage in his lower leg.

Comment

Crique! Goes right after 'em, so he does! Just 'ope the bloke stays clear of the bloody big ones!

Comment

Back in 2014 about 2hrs from here at Sam A Baker state park a man died after being bitten by a copperhead. Granted he picked it up because alcohol made him stupid, and he went to bed instead of the emergency room, but he was found dead next morning. A boy who graduated a couple years after my second daughter lost his arm below the elbow when he was in 5th grade and found a copperhead in the school yard and picked it up. It bit his hand and forearm over and over till he finally slung it away. Seldom doesn't mean never and rare doesn't mean crap if you're the one tagged.

Comment

That's a little guy, You should see the Copperheads I've blaster off my Air Boat with 22mag-snake shot, with heads twice that size!

Comment

Like Bubba I know a man who suffered the loss of use in his hand and arm from a timber rattler bite. He lives in the Black Moshannon area of PA. He would carry around a bag with a big timber rattlesnake in it and pull it out and show anyone who wanted to see his snake he caught! After one foray where he had pulled this snake out several times and after several beers he got bit and apparently really lit up by a very angry rattler! He was a very sick man and after a good stint in the hospital he was released but he never regained use of his arm. That's enough for me to know I don't want to mess with them!

Comment

I read somewhere that a high percentage of snake bites occur when people are handling or otherwise messing with the snakes. I expect there's a lot of truth in that.

If you eat fried chicken, you're gonna get greasy. I'll let somebody else do the showoff stuff.

Comment

Ya'll are crazy. Humans are the smartest things on earth, yet many of us enjoy habits that can very well kill us. If I see a snake the last the I want to do is make contact with it. We recently had a full grown 6' long black rat snake in the chicken coup. I know very well that it is not venomous, but still scares the crap out of me.

Comment

The saying still holds true; you can't fix stupid !! But a venemous snake sure as hell can. In this case one might help to drain the stupid gene pool ! And Gary feel free to send this reply to your maybe "not to be around long" buddy !!

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                      Ya'll are crazy. Humans are the smartest things on earth, yet many of us enjoy habits that can very well kill us. If I see a snake the last the I want to do is make contact with it. We recently had a full grown 6' long black rat snake in the chicken coup. I know very well that it is not venomous, but still scares the crap out of me.
                      Those rat snakes are aggressive and their bite will get infected. The best thing is to communicate with him using an appropriately sized stick.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                        The saying still holds true; you can't fix stupid !! But a venemous snake sure as hell can. In this case one might help to drain the stupid gene pool ! And Gary feel free to send this reply to your maybe "not to be around long" buddy !!
                        Rich, my friend doesn't even know, I posted it on Outdoor Life.
                        Believe me, I gave him hell and told him to leave them damn things alone.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                          Yes...can give you a nasty infected bite...but you would have to be pretty dumb to let that become deadly...I used a long branch to move him haha. I never went within a body length of the snake.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
                            I read somewhere that a high percentage of snake bites occur when people are handling or otherwise messing with the snakes. I expect there's a lot of truth in that.

If you eat fried chicken, you're gonna get greasy. I'll let somebody else do the showoff stuff.
                            Id say well over 90% Country. Booze is a huge factor as well. smdh.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                              Just know what you are doing and usually you will be fine. This is not a game for the uninniciated Ill concede. Stupid, Maybe but Ive learned a tremendous amount about them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Leupold screwed me
                                by dewman
                                had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • The TGIF Buck
                                by fitch270
                                First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. Iโ€™m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                              • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
                              • Life is good!
                                by dewman
                                .......... in fact, it's downright delicious! ๐ŸฆŒ=๐Ÿ”+๐ŸŒฎ+๐Ÿบor๐Ÿท๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ ...
                                11-22-2021, 07:29 PM
                              • Ghosts
                                by fitch270
                                Not really survival related but I wanted to mention this separate from todayโ€™s hunting report.

Having the hill to myself today had me...
                                11-21-2021, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X