Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost 28 days in Alabama, mid summer. How well would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost 28 days in Alabama, mid summer. How well would you do?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/alabama-woman-found-naked-rural-road-after-going-missing-month-n792881
    Lisa Theris, 25, was found naked on August 12th along Highway 82 outside of Union Springs, AL. She had been missing since July 18th. Covered with insect bites, scrapes, and other wounds "She said she ate berries and drank muddy water.โ€ Some reports say she'd lost 50 pounds.

How well would you do? Have you the skills to get to civilization or be found quickly? If not, have you considered taking a wilderness survival course?

(snicker, snort, chortle!)
    The chick was with two guys that were breaking into a remote hunting camp. She told them she didn't want anything to do with the theft. Then, they apparently abandoned her.
    Was she not near a road?
    The sound of a vehicle travels pretty far, couldn't she hear traffic?
    Are there areas of Alabama that are that remote?

Comment

@FirstBubba,
      Picture I attached shows the full "highway 82"...no idea how she stayed lost for a month. It is just a picture of what I could find on google maps, but it appears to be a fairly open area...far from the "dense forest" described in some articles
      -
      She was working at a hooters, and by the pictures she was a fairly attractive 25 year old woman. But the two guys she was with? Two rough looking 31 and 36 year old men...she says she has nothing to do with the robbery, but that seems fishy to me, especially considering she was a radiology student, which does takes same brains.
      -
      Attached Files

Comment

Sounds a little too fishy to me. What is the best way not to be a suspect ? To claim to be a vicitm and look for all the sympathy it can get you ! To be lost anywhere in today's over populated world for 28 days would be a bigger mystery than not being lost. Too many holes in this story, or more likely a tale !

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
          @FirstBubba,
          Picture I attached shows the full "highway 82"...no idea how she stayed lost for a month. It is just a picture of what I could find on google maps, but it appears to be a fairly open area...far from the "dense forest" described in some articles
          -
          She was working at a hooters, and by the pictures she was a fairly attractive 25 year old woman. But the two guys she was with? Two rough looking 31 and 36 year old men...she says she has nothing to do with the robbery, but that seems fishy to me, especially considering she was a radiology student, which does takes same brains.
          -
          jm1993
          There are "smart" people and there are "intelligent" people.
          Smart and intelligent don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.
          I have a nephew who can read a book, cover to cover, in short order.
          He can answer ANY question you ask him about the book, but don't ask him to apply any knowledge available in the book! It's a lost cause!
          Boy was a straight "A" student and blew an opportunity at the Air Force Academy...over a girl!

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
            @FirstBubba,
            -
            -
            Her story is hard to believe but her condition gives the best evidence. South of where she was found is a large tract of woods. But it's riddled with unpaved roads and perhaps she did get turned around and always went the wrong direction when coming to one.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              The chick was with two guys that were breaking into a remote hunting camp. She told them she didn't want anything to do with the theft. Then, they apparently abandoned her.
              Was she not near a road?
              Bubba, South of where she was found is a large tract of second growth forest with the center probably 3 miles from a paved road. But, it's riddled with unpaved roads. She must have spent a lot of time not moving anywhere to be lost that long.

Comment

Wow, Bama girls are tough.
                My city girl wife would of died the first night. LOL
                Attached Files

Comment

I would do fine in my own kind of country, and have before, in fact. I lived alone in the woods for about a month after my college graduation. True, it was summertime and the livin' was easy, especially with a tent, axe, cookpot, and change of clothes -- but overall I've practiced my survival skills quite a bit, taught some survival courses for local nature centers and outdoor clubs, and I think I'd be okay. Being a northerner, though, I might very well lose it mentally if I had to deal with southern heat, ticks, swamps, fear of venomous snakes, etc. I freely confess that as a problem I'd be likely to have.

Comment

It's easy to tell lies but her physical condition speaks honestly pretty loud and clear. The how and why might still be sketchy but she still suffered 28 days. I give her props for that. She obviously wasn't having a fun time. Tough girl.

Comment

Was she not near a road?
                      Pighunter, I'm not sure about 'Bama, but this time of year (I grew up in east Texas!), there are no wild berries available. The blackberries have stopped producing. Huckleberries won't be "ripe" until fall. Mulberries and mayhaws are few and far between.
                      As for the "mushrooms"?
                      I can only think, "Lucky guess!"!
                      What wild goods are available in that area?

Comment

Was she not near a road?
                        It's slim pickings this time of year. She may have been able to get a few Blackberries in mid July but they were all gone by the end of the month. Some of the mushrooms are toxic and cause psychedelic reactions. But it's been very wet so it would have been great conditions for mushrooms and some are definitely edible.

Comment

Was she not near a road?
                          What happened to her clothes ?

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                            I would do fine in my own kind of country, and have before, in fact. I lived alone in the woods for about a month after my college graduation. True, it was summertime and the livin' was easy, especially with a tent, axe, cookpot, and change of clothes -- but overall I've practiced my survival skills quite a bit, taught some survival courses for local nature centers and outdoor clubs, and I think I'd be okay. Being a northerner, though, I might very well lose it mentally if I had to deal with southern heat, ticks, swamps, fear of venomous snakes, etc. I freely confess that as a problem I'd be likely to have.
                            I'm thinking the mosquitos and gnats would have driven me crazy the second night.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                              Wow, Bama girls are tough.
                              My city girl wife would of died the first night. LOL
                              PigHuntress wouldn't have made it without her lipstick. I swear, she has to wear it even when we hunt!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Leupold screwed me
                                by dewman
                                had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                Today, 09:57 AM
                              • The TGIF Buck
                                by fitch270
                                First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. Iโ€™m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                              • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
                              • Life is good!
                                by dewman
                                .......... in fact, it's downright delicious! ๐ŸฆŒ=๐Ÿ”+๐ŸŒฎ+๐Ÿบor๐Ÿท๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ ...
                                11-22-2021, 07:29 PM
                              • Ghosts
                                by fitch270
                                Not really survival related but I wanted to mention this separate from todayโ€™s hunting report.

Having the hill to myself today had me...
                                11-21-2021, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X