Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you stop your vehicle to save a box turtle or a snake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    On a busy 2 lane I stopped for a female mallard with about 12 chicks that wanted to cross. She went to the center of the road, faced an oncoming cement truck and stood there with her wings outstretched until the truck stopped. Then she quacked to the chicks and one by one they crossed single file. When the last one was off the other side, she dropped her wings and went to the side. The truck driver laughed his butt off as they crossed.
    Canadian geese are road hogs in New Jersey.
    Anybody that hits a large goose walking across the road, must be blind.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
      The size of our Swamp Turtles!! You don't want to Hit them there so BIG! You will Wreck your Car/Truck, I just try to drive around them, some are 40-50Lbs. And Snakes are Road Kill under my truck;-))
      Turtle Man would get a work out in FL.

Comment

Originally posted by country road View Post
        I avoid or wait for them all the time. Especially on the back dirt roads, I'll stop and urge them to hurry. Turtles are cute but snakes have an important niche---they help control the rodents that have ticks which carry Lyme disease. The damned feral hogs down here have killed off a large portion of the snakes.
        Guinea Hens also eat ticks but they can be mean.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
          I will swerve to miss a turtle but won't stop to help it cross the road. He's on his own.

Animals I try to hit depends on which vehicle I'm driving. If in the 4x4, I'll try to run over, snakes, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, rodents, and armadillos. I'm probably not going to target pigs again because of the damage they can cause to the bumper / air dam.

When in the sedan, I limit my targeting to snakes and squirrels.
          Hunting Colorado the Guides would speed up their truck, just to run over a porcupine in the road.
          They said they found many elk calves dead with porcupine quills in their face. The cow elk will not milk their calf with quills stabbing at their belly. True Story.

Comment

I do stop to save turtles. Snakes not so much.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Leupold screwed me
              by dewman
              had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
              Today, 09:57 AM
            • The TGIF Buck
              by fitch270
              First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. Iโ€™m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
              11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
            • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
              by FirstBubba
              I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
              11-25-2021, 12:06 PM
            • Life is good!
              by dewman
              .......... in fact, it's downright delicious! ๐ŸฆŒ=๐Ÿ”+๐ŸŒฎ+๐Ÿบor๐Ÿท๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ ...
              11-22-2021, 07:29 PM
            • Ghosts
              by fitch270
              Not really survival related but I wanted to mention this separate from todayโ€™s hunting report.

Having the hill to myself today had me...
              11-21-2021, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X