Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you stop your vehicle to save a box turtle or a snake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you stop your vehicle to save a box turtle or a snake?

I stopped this morning and saved a box turtle.
    It's a good feeling to save a little species on the road. :-)
    Attached Files

That question can only be answered of course depending on traffic volume. If traffic allows, certainley I would remove some wildlife from the road to keep them from being part of the pavement, but not a snake. They would be lucky if I just tried to avoid hitting them. Most wildlife can move fast enough to fend for themselves, but turtles probably need a helping hand in order to stay around long enough to make other turtles !

Comment

My daughter and I help several box turtles across every year.
      Attached Files

Comment

Yep, all the time on the back roads en route to our house. Not a fan of snakes, but I'll shoo them along as well. Obviously as Richard said, if there are a bunch of cars on a more traveled road then it becomes a bit more dangerous and I will usually just let nature run its course. Noble to save a turtle, but not worth risking your own well being or distracting someone and causing a crash. We also occasionally have to save turtles from the railroad. They often can get over one rail, and end up getting stuck in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
          Lol, my 5 y/o niece liked the pictures and said you two are hero's for saving the turtles =p. At least the turtle in the second picture looks relaxed/appreciative.

Comment

Heh. Unless it's just a poor visibility spot to stop I've stopped for turtles and often stop to move branches or debris off the road. Maybe I'm being a hazard with my blinkers, but regardless of the animal, my thought is that all the swerving into the opposing lane is eventually going to be poorly timed, so me taking 5 seconds to move the object is better for everybody.

I only once stopped for a snake, but it wasn't to help it per say. Poor guy, black rat snake if I remember right, had a badly broken back and opened stomach and was flopping around.
            I once got out to show my kid a particularly large Eastern Diamondback as well, but he wasn't really in any danger on that road.

Comment

I avoid or wait for them all the time. Especially on the back dirt roads, I'll stop and urge them to hurry. Turtles are cute but snakes have an important niche---they help control the rodents that have ticks which carry Lyme disease. The damned feral hogs down here have killed off a large portion of the snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by JM1993 View Post
                Yep, all the time on the back roads en route to our house. Not a fan of snakes, but I'll shoo them along as well. Obviously as Richard said, if there are a bunch of cars on a more traveled road then it becomes a bit more dangerous and I will usually just let nature run its course. Noble to save a turtle, but not worth risking your own well being or distracting someone and causing a crash. We also occasionally have to save turtles from the railroad. They often can get over one rail, and end up getting stuck in the middle.
                I have a couple of box turtle shells on my curio shelf that fell victim to the rails. A few days ago, I realized that I really must be getting old---I saw a box turtle out by my tool shed and I didn't pick it up to look at it and watch it pee, just wished it good luck and uneventful travels.

Comment

Turtles yes, if traffic permitted. Snakes, no. I do try to avoid hitting them, but I won't pick them up. Anyone who intentionally hits a turtle, snake, or anything else is a P0S.

Comment

People around here do it all the time, just a natural thing to do. They have special feelings for box turtles, very protective of them.

Comment

Yep, as a kid I kept a box turtle that I found as a pet for awhile, until it mistook my finger for a carrot and my parents made me let it go.

Comment

The size of our Swamp Turtles!! You don't want to Hit them there so BIG! You will Wreck your Car/Truck, I just try to drive around them, some are 40-50Lbs. And Snakes are Road Kill under my truck;-))

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                          Heh. Unless it's just a poor visibility spot to stop I've stopped for turtles and often stop to move branches or debris off the road. Maybe I'm being a hazard with my blinkers, but regardless of the animal, my thought is that all the swerving into the opposing lane is eventually going to be poorly timed, so me taking 5 seconds to move the object is better for everybody.

I only once stopped for a snake, but it wasn't to help it per say. Poor guy, black rat snake if I remember right, had a badly broken back and opened stomach and was flopping around.
                          I once got out to show my kid a particularly large Eastern Diamondback as well, but he wasn't really in any danger on that road.
                          I seen a dead copperhead on the road as a kid, when my family went on our summer camping trips.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                            Turtles yes, if traffic permitted. Snakes, no. I do try to avoid hitting them, but I won't pick them up. Anyone who intentionally hits a turtle, snake, or anything else is a P0S.
                            I push the non venomous snakes off the road with my size 14s.
                            Venomous snakes can fend for themselves.

Comment

On a busy 2 lane I stopped for a female mallard with about 12 chicks that wanted to cross. She went to the center of the road, faced an oncoming cement truck and stood there with her wings outstretched until the truck stopped. Then she quacked to the chicks and one by one they crossed single file. When the last one was off the other side, she dropped her wings and went to the side. The truck driver laughed his butt off as they crossed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Christmas present "trade"?
                                by dewman
                                You fellas remember I posted pics a ways back where I redid my 511-x .22? Well my son called me soon after and asked me to put it up and not shoot it...
                                12-01-2021, 02:48 PM
                              • Finally filled that elk tag!
                                by Ernie
                                Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
                                11-30-2021, 01:05 PM
                              • Leupold screwed me
                                by dewman
                                had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                                11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
                              • The TGIF Buck
                                by fitch270
                                First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                                11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                              • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                                by FirstBubba
                                I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                                11-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X