Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad to feed song birds during the summer months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad to feed song birds during the summer months?

Everything is green, insects are everywhere and there is plenty of natural food out there?
    Winter months the little feathered friends can use some feed.
    Check out this cool close up feeder video I found online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IURqYTQbko

I don't think it ever hurts to feed the birds. There is so much reward in watching them, it's hard to stop.

Comment

We had to stop using Bird feeders on the side of the screened in porch we have bear problems they try to eat the bird seeds and they broke in the New screen in porch looking for food. We no longer live in Dog patch(Holopaw) We Sold every thing and moved to our 100 acre farm/et in Green Cove Springs Fl.
      Podunk USA.

Comment

As long as you keep the feeders clean (mold and mildew can be a problem in the warmer and more humid months, depending on where you live), it's not a problem at all.

Comment

I would worry that congregating different bird species would also congregate parasites and diseases, making them much easier to catch and transmit. Might make it easier for the feral and loose house kitties to set up a massacre. Possible snake hangout too, if the birds sleep close by in the shrubs. I think summer dispersal is important for all wild creatures.

Comment

I think winter feeding of birds often times is a neccessity due to deep snow and extreme cold tempretures. However, during summer months it is not needed, but with that being said it is needed more for the persons feeding the birds in as much as it brings great delight in doing so. There is something tranguil in watching birds at a feeder, their peaceful manner and their ability to bring a relaxing mood. I see no harm in feeding
            birds at any time, but I know bird experts dicourage it !

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
              We had to stop using Bird feeders on the side of the screened in porch we have bear problems they try to eat the bird seeds and they broke in the New screen in porch looking for food. We no longer live in Dog patch(Holopaw) We Sold every thing and moved to our 100 acre farm/et in Green Cove Springs Fl.
              Podunk USA.
              The Bears can't reach my bird feeders. I see more turkeys coming in for the Bird feed that drops from the ground.
              My wife thinks bird feeders will attract mice and ants.

Comment

I do it for me. The reservoir above me claims they get several hundred bird species through there. Since putting a feeder within easy viewing distance from a large window I believe it. It's worth it just to see the youngest, who is far from bookish, flipping through a bird guide to identify the latest. There is also the amusement of watching them come up with interim names until they find something. I refused to I'D the pretty common and homely Brown headed cowbird for them until they found it because hearing them say "It's another black ginger" was too good to stop.

Comment

JC, I have Bird feeders by two of my windows and our two house cats are entertain by all the incoming action.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                    JC, I have Bird feeders by two of my windows and our two house cats are entertain by all the incoming action.
                    In most cases our windows are up, but this day it started to drizzle. The window screen separates the two on nice days.

Comment

It's good to see that your cats are on the job. Mine always seem to busy contemplating string theory to pay attention to the birds.

Comment

Gary. I've tried to respond 3 times. I call uncle.

Comment

I thought people fed the birds all year round? What's bad about it? Making 'em too soft?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Christmas present "trade"?
                            by dewman
                            You fellas remember I posted pics a ways back where I redid my 511-x .22? Well my son called me soon after and asked me to put it up and not shoot it...
                            12-01-2021, 02:48 PM
                          • Finally filled that elk tag!
                            by Ernie
                            Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
                            11-30-2021, 01:05 PM
                          • Leupold screwed me
                            by dewman
                            had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
                            11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
                          • The TGIF Buck
                            by fitch270
                            First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
                            11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
                          • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
                            by FirstBubba
                            I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
                            11-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X