Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you guys carry any kind of a survival kit in the course of your ordinary outdoor activities - hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.? If so, what's in it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    You make me sad, hft. (JK)

I'm with JM that if I'm out back in my stand I have nothing more than my normal pocket items, knife, flashlight, lighter, mulitool, phone, pistol and spare mag, a couple of band-aids (which live in my wallet, amazing how often I hand them to people or slap one on a kid) and duct tape, most times a tourniquet (I carry a SWAT or TK4 due to small size plus ability to work on small people's limbs, both are smaller than a pack of cigarretes to have in the pocket and I wrap duct tape around the wrapper), plus the ability to scream like a woman in distress loud enough for my nearest neighbors to hear me.

I keep three distinct kits in my backpack when doing most things. All of them are in a typical IFAK (Say 6" x 8" x 3")sized pouch and sometimes I'll opt out of one or the other depending on what and where I'm going. I don't take a full survival kit to sit by the lake with the kids. I won't bother carrying the first aid kit if I don't plan on being out more than a couple of hours and I'm alone. The trauma kit is generally along for the ride in any case. The first aid kit can provide comfort. The trauma kit can seriously buy you time and save you with a serious cut or GSW or slice your leg open on a tree step. It's one of those things, you take a good slice or an accidental shot somehow while hunting or fishing, there's very little in a typical first aid kit that's going to help you. Femoral bleedout can happen in under 90 seconds with loss of consciousness happening sooner. The truck just isn't close enough. Basically, the other two kits can manage anything that the first aid can do. Frankly, you don't really NEED a band-aid to walk out of the woods, but at times they're really nice to have.

If I'm out hunting or fishing out of sight of the truck all day, or I'm on an overnight, There's a boo-boo level first aid kit with small bandages, bandaids, guaze, tape, ointments, painkillers, scissors, knife, you get it, tossed in the bag.

Similarly on top of my normal pocket stuff there's a survival kit with water purification tabs, firestarters, matches, lighter, flint, e blankets, compass, whistle, mirror, chapstick, sometimes pocket hand warmer depending on the weather, small headlamp or flashlight, duct tape, safety pins a couple other odds and ends that are escaping me. There will be a water bottle and a couple of granola bars and jerky somewhere in my bag.

The trauma kit is a whole other animal, is the one some will judge as over the top, the only one that's never come into play, and the one I sincerely hope I never run into anyone that needs it. But if you need one, you need it RIGHT NOW. A couple of tourniquets, compressed gauze, isreali or E bandages, chest seals, Celox, Nasal airway, and a chest needle. Am seeking some training on that last presently. If you clearly have tension pneumothorax from a chest wound.. I'd still be hesitant to stick you with the level of "you just do this" training I currently have on that.

The first aid kit has come to play with others I've met in the woods and on the trail or was out with more often than myself. The survival kit has gotten raided more on convenience or comfort as well on overnights it gets used as the primary source for fire starters while still keeping the other items in reserve.

They all weigh a pound or so each and one can fit in the back of my fishing vest without even really knowing it. At two, I feel it. Most times if I plan on covering any kind of ground I have a backpack and they toss in or strap to the outside easily and with no fuss. Worth their weight in gold when you want one.

My only real advice on the kits is to make the items in them dedicated solely to that kit. You start raiding them around the house and things won't have been put back when you want them. Use an item in need, replace it ASAP.

One thing I will say, I know some of mine may seem excessive. What happens is you encounter something that makes you think about it. You decide you should have the right gear. When you get gear you think, I should know how to use this stuff, so you get training. Once you have the knowledge, you realize how much better it is to have the gear at need, as the knowledge is good, but knowledge with the right tools is far better. For me, the defensive and medical end has become a pursuit and hobby. I'm always trying to expand the capabilities. That being said, I'd be a fool then to not actually be ready at need. I've taken red cross classes over the years and recently have taken some classes that weren't purely medical, but got into the basic application of the immediate action trauma items, I'm currently seeking a good local class for that.

Edited to Add- And this isn't golf. I'll admit I have a hard time as I go down this road making the call that "Ok, my defensive handgunning or my medical knowledge are "good enough".
    Not really. I'm not a walking ambulance. And I have one or two of most of those things, so if you have an accident, OK. If I'm on the scene of the next mass casualty event... I might be able to help the first person I come to then would have to improvise from there.. and again, a qualified EMT I am not.
    If you start carrying the little day to day stuff like a simple lighter, flashlight (I'm a streamlight protac 2aaa fan for pants pocket) and some duct tape you'll find yourself using them so often you'll wonder how you ever did without.

Comment

No, not really. When big game hunting I carried matches, map, toilet paper, knife, extra socks, ammo, compass and a bit to eat in my day pack (in Montana I also carried a .22 revolver but not legal here). I had some close calls but only built a fire once and it wasn't life threatening situation either. Carrying too much excess weight can be life threatening.

Comment

Tim's article made me remember the small split shot sized bag that has a couple of jigs, hooks, and a coil of 4lb mono. I bet the line needs replacing because I haven't even thought of that thing in years.

Comment

I'm with JM that if I'm out back in my stand I have nothing more than my normal pocket items, knife, flashlight, lighter, mulitool, phone, pistol and spare mag, a couple of band-aids (which live in my wallet, amazing how often I hand them to people or slap one on a kid) and duct tape, most times a tourniquet (I carry a SWAT or TK4 due to small size plus ability to work on small people's limbs, both are smaller than a pack of cigarretes to have in the pocket and I wrap duct tape around the wrapper), plus the ability to scream like a woman in distress loud enough for my nearest neighbors to hear me.

I keep three distinct kits in my backpack when doing most things. All of them are in a typical IFAK (Say 6" x 8" x 3")sized pouch and sometimes I'll opt out of one or the other depending on what and where I'm going. I don't take a full survival kit to sit by the lake with the kids. I won't bother carrying the first aid kit if I don't plan on being out more than a couple of hours and I'm alone. The trauma kit is generally along for the ride in any case. The first aid kit can provide comfort. The trauma kit can seriously buy you time and save you with a serious cut or GSW or slice your leg open on a tree step. It's one of those things, you take a good slice or an accidental shot somehow while hunting or fishing, there's very little in a typical first aid kit that's going to help you. Femoral bleedout can happen in under 90 seconds with loss of consciousness happening sooner. The truck just isn't close enough. Basically, the other two kits can manage anything that the first aid can do. Frankly, you don't really NEED a band-aid to walk out of the woods, but at times they're really nice to have.

If I'm out hunting or fishing out of sight of the truck all day, or I'm on an overnight, There's a boo-boo level first aid kit with small bandages, bandaids, guaze, tape, ointments, painkillers, scissors, knife, you get it, tossed in the bag.

Similarly on top of my normal pocket stuff there's a survival kit with water purification tabs, firestarters, matches, lighter, flint, e blankets, compass, whistle, mirror, chapstick, sometimes pocket hand warmer depending on the weather, small headlamp or flashlight, duct tape, safety pins a couple other odds and ends that are escaping me. There will be a water bottle and a couple of granola bars and jerky somewhere in my bag.

The trauma kit is a whole other animal, is the one some will judge as over the top, the only one that's never come into play, and the one I sincerely hope I never run into anyone that needs it. But if you need one, you need it RIGHT NOW. A couple of tourniquets, compressed gauze, isreali or E bandages, chest seals, Celox, Nasal airway, and a chest needle. Am seeking some training on that last presently. If you clearly have tension pneumothorax from a chest wound.. I'd still be hesitant to stick you with the level of "you just do this" training I currently have on that.

The first aid kit has come to play with others I've met in the woods and on the trail or was out with more often than myself. The survival kit has gotten raided more on convenience or comfort as well on overnights it gets used as the primary source for fire starters while still keeping the other items in reserve.

They all weigh a pound or so each and one can fit in the back of my fishing vest without even really knowing it. At two, I feel it. Most times if I plan on covering any kind of ground I have a backpack and they toss in or strap to the outside easily and with no fuss. Worth their weight in gold when you want one.

My only real advice on the kits is to make the items in them dedicated solely to that kit. You start raiding them around the house and things won't have been put back when you want them. Use an item in need, replace it ASAP.

One thing I will say, I know some of mine may seem excessive. What happens is you encounter something that makes you think about it. You decide you should have the right gear. When you get gear you think, I should know how to use this stuff, so you get training. Once you have the knowledge, you realize how much better it is to have the gear at need, as the knowledge is good, but knowledge with the right tools is far better. For me, the defensive and medical end has become a pursuit and hobby. I'm always trying to expand the capabilities. That being said, I'd be a fool then to not actually be ready at need. I've taken red cross classes over the years and recently have taken some classes that weren't purely medical, but got into the basic application of the immediate action trauma items, I'm currently seeking a good local class for that.

Edited to Add- And this isn't golf. I'll admit I have a hard time as I go down this road making the call that "Ok, my defensive handgunning or my medical knowledge are "good enough".
          That's probably true. It's a case of never having needed it, so I've never prioritized it. Probably would be a good idea to have a few things before I would ever happen to need them, though. BTW, do you ever hunt turkeys, jcarlin? I can't remember you ever talking about it here...

Comment

jcarlin, you will run out of blood before a artery cut stops bleeding on it's own. Lose 4 or more units and your organs will start to shut down, go unconscious and eventually expire.

Comment

JHP..I've just admitted to being one of the probably .01% of the population who has a tourniquet in his pocket, which most view as insane. The "all bleeding stops eventually" is tongue in cheek. The implication there is not a positive one.

HFT.. no, I never had. Years ago for a couple of seasons I'd scout and practice my calls, and then for a couple of years raised turkeys and it was fun to get a gobble out of the backyard birds in response to some yelps. I'd find that when the seasons opened, I'd be coaching baseball or Soccer on Saturdays and we have no Sunday hunting. My BinL recently invited me up to his family property to turkey hunt this spring, which is in a couple of weeks I think. We'll see if that comes into fruition.

Comment

Hi...!!

I have a GHB which carries survival gear and first aid supplies, including a Trauma Pack.

It also carry several means of making fire...including the never-failing Railroad Fusees (road flares)...!!

Then there are water 'purification' tabs, a water filter, a small cook pot with cover, signalling devices, including a POWERFUL 'Storm' whistle, a trowel, sling shot and some food...!!

This all fits in a sling pack, which weighs (usually) less than eight pounds, including shelter half, para cord, etc...!!

I didn't mention each individual item, but you get the idea...!!

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                  That article OL featured recently about the 4 survival stories made me think about this. I believe I'm generally a careful, well-prepared person, but I must confess I don't take survival/first aid preparations as seriously as I could. I don't frequent wilderness areas, true, but a broken leg even a mile from the vehicle could be dangerous in bad weather or if nobody knows where you are, especially if one is poorly equipped.
                  Now you are starting to think along the right lines. Sometimes it's hard for a young man such as you to realize how quickly things can turn bad. It doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                    I keep a survival type kit in my car. It was a present I received years ago...it is actually still in the shrink wrap, haha. It is both a medical and car survival kit(everything from band-aids to an ice scraper). If I am hunting and carrying a backpack than I have a basic first aid kit as well as things like an extra pair of base layers/socks. It's like a small 5x5 zip up case that I got for free. It has bandaids, gauze, tape, medications I may need, and creams for burns, etc. I then wrapped all the contents in a mosquito mask net so I always have one of those available. This is pretty much always the case when hunting on property I do not own and know well. If I am hunting on my own property than the answer is no...I usually don't really carry anything besides my phone, haha. Every boat I remember being on has had a survival kit stashed somewhere.
                    These days a phone should be in your list of minimum safety equipment

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
                      Years ago I could care less about "survival kits" and would never carry anything when hunting/fishing. But a few years ago I changed my tune and now always carry a small first aid kit and a small "get home" kit when out hunting/fishing.

My first aid kit is pretty basic: various sized band aids, gauze, aspirin, antibiotics, burn cream, quick clot, alcohol pads, tissues (aka toilet paper) and maybe a few other odds and ends. All of this is in a small waterproof container that fits easily in a pocket.

My "survival kit" is also in a small waterproof container that usually goes in my pack. It has: small swiss army knife, lighter, matches, ferro rod, dry tinder (cotton balls), duct tape, a hank of paracord, space blanket, small mirror, button compass, and iodine tablets (which reminds me, I have to replace those this year).

Mind you, I don't hunt or fish in any kind of real "wilderness" areas, and am always an hour walk from civilization. But I like knowing I have a few things just in case.
                      I'm pretty much like you are DogSong and am prepared much of the same way

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
                        No, not really. When big game hunting I carried matches, map, toilet paper, knife, extra socks, ammo, compass and a bit to eat in my day pack (in Montana I also carried a .22 revolver but not legal here). I had some close calls but only built a fire once and it wasn't life threatening situation either. Carrying too much excess weight can be life threatening.
                        OHH, didn't you say that you rarely carry water?

Comment

Tim's article made me remember the small split shot sized bag that has a couple of jigs, hooks, and a coil of 4lb mono. I bet the line needs replacing because I haven't even thought of that thing in years.
                          The chances of having to fish to survive are practically zero. Useless gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                            Hi...!!

I have a GHB which carries survival gear and first aid supplies, including a Trauma Pack.

It also carry several means of making fire...including the never-failing Railroad Fusees (road flares)...!!

Then there are water 'purification' tabs, a water filter, a small cook pot with cover, signalling devices, including a POWERFUL 'Storm' whistle, a trowel, sling shot and some food...!!

This all fits in a sling pack, which weighs (usually) less than eight pounds, including shelter half, para cord, etc...!!

I didn't mention each individual item, but you get the idea...!!
                            You just reminded me to start packing a small cooking pot...

Comment

Thanks JCarlin, you've inspired me to separate my kit. Currently, all three of those functions are carried together.

Comment

My kit
                                Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Mansion on fire.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                                  It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                                  Today, 10:04 AM
                                • Firing squad.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                  This final shot does...
                                  Yesterday, 09:07 PM
                                • Lost in the woods.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                  One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                  Two Indians...
                                  Yesterday, 01:24 PM
                                • Books on a shelf.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                  If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                  08-21-2019, 02:19 PM
                                • Mental arithmetic.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                                  The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                                  How much does the ball cost?
                                  08-21-2019, 11:57 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X