Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would win the fight, a full grown raccoon or a full grown Tom feral cat?Gary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nature Advocate View Post
    During a period of time when my lands were being infested by vermin invasive-species cats for nearly two decades, I spent quite a few years helping the native predator populations to increase in numbers (at one point I counted as many as 60 assorted native predators in my yard some nights). Using them as my wildlife army to oust the invasive species vermin cats. I learned (and am still learning) much about the behavior of wild raccoons. Some of them to this day still bring their cubs around during whelping season to show them off to me, or pawn their kids off on me for a day or two to get a much needed break from their little woodland terrorists. Their kids playing tug-o'-war with my bootlaces as the mother will lay belly-up alongside me snoring away. (Then I don't see them again until next year.)

Doesn't matter the size of the cat, a raccoon will win hands-down every time. They are some of the toughest (and smartest) wildlife on the N. American continent. I've seen them fall from a tree 40 feet up (during a fight in a tree with another raccoon) with half their face torn-off and after landing with a loud thud climb back up the tree to continue on in their fight. I swear, that when they get into these squabbles, that if someone was out by the dirt-road at night listening to the screeching and growling going on back here in the woods, someone would think that I'm torturing a dozen animals to death. LOL (They still respect me for some reason though and have never challenged me, even if I take their food away from their plate while they are eating. (Well, one did just one time, but that was solved with a hefty whap upside its head with a food-pan.) They've been more respectful than some dogs I've owned. Some so gentle (when they want to be) that they'd even want to hold my hand with a paw while they eat, or as I tweak their nose while they eat, just for fun. These are completely wild raccoons, mind you.)

That being said, there's something that even a full-grown adult raccoon will not dare take-on. During the development of yearling raccoons, there comes a time when a litter of them outgrow the needs of being around their female parent. But they also aren't sure enough of the world to face it alone. So they form "gangs" with their siblings. I call it their "juvenile delinquent" phase. Not even a full-grown alpha raccoon will dare take-on one of these packs of roving juvenile-delinquent gangs. I've seen a pack of these juvenile raccoons chase every last one of 20-30 adult raccoons out of my yard just to show them who's boss. The adults don't even think about challenging them back.
    Your neighbors must love you.

Myself, I don't mind having a couple of cats in the neighborhood as I don't believe one has ever successfully taken one of my chickens. Raccoons are my nemesis.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      I imagine anything can happen, but from what I see and here out back, when the raccoons are around, the local kitty's are in peril.
      I'll live with typos, butt I ewes bad homophones all the thyme. The second I glance up they jump out at me as a reader, but never while I'm typing.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
        JM, what "story/cat" are you referring to? I don't see it anywhere. LovesOutdoors sounds like he found it, but it's nowhere in sight now. Was part of your answer deleted?

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
          That's like the miniature version of tiger vs. grizzly! In line with what JM said and my comment to that, I think that if the cat's savvy enough to prevent the coon from using his weight to good advantage, and if Tom's truly a hard-bitten feral gunslinger, he'll come out ahead. Otherwise, a hefty old coon with some years under his belt wins it.
          Well, Gary, now I'm realizing that it might have been JM's "story/cat" that you were referring to on FS. Since I didn't see that in his answer, I thought you were talking about my barnyard cat. No big deal, I was just yanking your chain with my comment above. Sadly, though, maybe you don't have a future in media election coverage after all

Comment

During a period of time when my lands were being infested by vermin invasive-species cats for nearly two decades, I spent quite a few years helping the native predator populations to increase in numbers (at one point I counted as many as 60 assorted native predators in my yard some nights). Using them as my wildlife army to oust the invasive species vermin cats. I learned (and am still learning) much about the behavior of wild raccoons. Some of them to this day still bring their cubs around during whelping season to show them off to me, or pawn their kids off on me for a day or two to get a much needed break from their little woodland terrorists. Their kids playing tug-o'-war with my bootlaces as the mother will lay belly-up alongside me snoring away. (Then I don't see them again until next year.)

Doesn't matter the size of the cat, a raccoon will win hands-down every time. They are some of the toughest (and smartest) wildlife on the N. American continent. I've seen them fall from a tree 40 feet up (during a fight in a tree with another raccoon) with half their face torn-off and after landing with a loud thud climb back up the tree to continue on in their fight. I swear, that when they get into these squabbles, that if someone was out by the dirt-road at night listening to the screeching and growling going on back here in the woods, someone would think that I'm torturing a dozen animals to death. LOL (They still respect me for some reason though and have never challenged me, even if I take their food away from their plate while they are eating. (Well, one did just one time, but that was solved with a hefty whap upside its head with a food-pan.) They've been more respectful than some dogs I've owned. Some so gentle (when they want to be) that they'd even want to hold my hand with a paw while they eat, or as I tweak their nose while they eat, just for fun. These are completely wild raccoons, mind you.)

That being said, there's something that even a full-grown adult raccoon will not dare take-on. During the development of yearling raccoons, there comes a time when a litter of them outgrow the needs of being around their female parent. But they also aren't sure enough of the world to face it alone. So they form "gangs" with their siblings. I call it their "juvenile delinquent" phase. Not even a full-grown alpha raccoon will dare take-on one of these packs of roving juvenile-delinquent gangs. I've seen a pack of these juvenile raccoons chase every last one of 20-30 adult raccoons out of my yard just to show them who's boss. The adults don't even think about challenging them back.
            Nature Advocate, you're either making all this up, or you are certifiably insane. I hope for the animals' sake it's the first one.

Comment

Since there is no mention of anything being killed here, I would say that we might have a anti-hunter
              pulling our leg on this matter ! I must admit it all seems a bit programed.

Comment

I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
                @Tiough, it was in one of the replies to LovesOutdoors' post about the turkeys around his house.

Comment

I think it's brilliant.

Comment

Coon all of the way, had a big one in a foothold, shot it in the chest due to my .22 being 3 inches low, all that coon did was bite at its chest, get up, and give us the If I get out of this thing, you will die look, then moved to abot 2 ft away, put the barrel an inch above its ear, and that was it for the coon, but after he leaped at the .22 after the shot

Comment

Since this has taken a turn to the ludicrous..
                      Warning, I just thought of this page for the first time since the mid '90s. It is a massive life waster, but hilarious reading.

http://www.grudge-match.com/History/ensign-stormtrooper.shtml

or more appropriate "A Rottweiler vs. a Rottweiler's weight in Chihuahuas."
                      http://www.grudge-match.com/History/rott-chi.shtml

Comment

Ah, thanks! I was very confused.

Comment

Originally posted by DogSong View Post
                          Ha! So we've officially run out of things to talk about, huh? Like the rest of you my money is on the racoon. Have a friend who's a vet and asked his opinion on the subject. He says over the years he's treated a number of cats who've had their a$$ kicked by racoons. Those where house cats of course. If it was a feral rambo kittie, then who knows?
                          @Loves,
                          I think I witnessed a miracle...I can not find one other case of a person witnessing a cat kill a raccoon. Maybe the raccoon was already injured or sick?

Comment

@Nature Advocate,
                            Wouldn't live traps have been a better option? I mean feeding wild animals is always opening up a can of worms.

Comment

<p>
                              jearlin: Rather than have cats around spreading all their brain-hijacking and potentially deadly Toxoplasma gondii parasites into every living thing (including 60% of all deer now being infected, venison eaters take note, for I am a venison eater) you would do better with encouraging some Gray Fox being around. They take care of the rodents without attracting more of rodents (as cats do, part of the T. gondii reproduction process) and Gray Fox don't even have European Fowl on their menus. They even climb trees to keep squirrel populations in check. A family of them made a den near my home after every last cat was shot dead and buried. A rodent problem appeared here when the cats showed up, and disappeared after every last cat was shot dead and buried. Coincidence? Not at all. Cats' Toxoplasma gondii parasite requires that rodents are attracted to where cats urinate. Cats attract rodents. Cats don't get rid of enough rodents to matter.
                              </p><p>
                              huntfishtrap: Time for you to crawl out of your mommy's basement and learn about the real world instead of just being a wannabe resident-troll on hunting and fishing sites living vicariously through the lives of others and your own bambi-cartoon imagination. Your virtual-only world is obvious.
                              </p><p>
                              bowhunter75richard: The deer that were taken on my land, and now reside in my freezer (what's left of them now) would call you an idiot. During harsh winter times I also put out corn for the deer. By the house they are safe. Out in the woods they are just like any other deer. I had some reservations about eating the deer I personally know now, but that would be like a rancher that didn't eat his own cattle.
                              </p><p>
                              jearlin: Not so brilliant. :-) I found out that most of my wildlife army wouldn't go near any of the vermin cats. The vermin cats here that were breeding all had strong coloring patterns on them. I put 2 and 2 together and realized that whenever one of these strongly patterned cats entered the wildlife feeding area, and that all the raccoons, fox, skunks, and opossum would scatter back into the woods; it was due to the wildlife perceiving the cats as having some hidden toxic or olfactory defense mechanism. (A universal animal-communication across all phyla of animals, across the whole planet -- strong patterns = toxic/dangerous.) So, I had to learn to use a .22 and shoot every last one of hundreds of cats in the area. That's what finally solved the cat infestation. Having wild animals that treat me like one of their own now is only a side-benefit of having tried using them as an army first. :-)
                              </p><p>
                              JM: The very same reason that trap & kill failed on cats is the very same reason that trap and neuter fails. Cats breed faster than any method with which they can be trapped. Have a healthy native predator population and then use a concerted and relentless "hunted to extinction" method on cats. It's the ONLY thing that works. I've not seen even one cat in over 6 years now since getting rid of every last cat for miles around. Collared or not, for collared stray cats are the very source of every last vermin cat. If you don't destroy them too then you have done absolutely nothing to solve a vermin cat problem -- guaranteed.</p>

Comment

@Nature,
                                I see now that you did opt to shoot the feral cats. In many places feral cats are SOS(shoot on sight). My trapping comment was aimed at the idea that it would've been more effective than the raccoons/"wildlife army" that you had. That idea of raising a wildlife army just seems absurd to me. Obviously shooting is the best method to get rid of them...you should've just started there. If you're that worried about disease, you probably shouldn't be feeding the animals, as disease can be spread due to animals sharing food.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Hit the river finally
                                  by fitch270
                                  Ball season wrapped up for us this week and I’ve managed to mostly finish up the projects we started last year. We set the camper up out back last night...
                                  06-12-2021, 08:57 PM
                                • Tip for recoil pad fit. Apologies for yet again another Dewman post.
                                  by dewman
                                  So it occurred to me as I was fixing the mediocre rubber buttpad (not a recoil pad in my book) fit on my recent 10/22 Boyd's that I had never mentioned...
                                  06-12-2021, 10:15 AM
                                • Tractor day
                                  by fitch270
                                  Just something fun that happens at our school the last Friday of classes before finals week. I have no idea who started it or when, it was past my time,...
                                  06-10-2021, 11:57 PM
                                • A middle age paradox
                                  by fitch270
                                  So last weekend I placed an order and less than 15 minutes later realized I’d willingly set myself up.

I’ve often mentioned that the...
                                  06-09-2021, 11:37 PM
                                • Father's Day comes early. SURPRISE!
                                  by dewman
                                  My wife listens to me and my pal talking about squirrel chasing every evening for a week and while we are talking the subject of my pals Boyds stocks...
                                  06-08-2021, 08:00 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X