Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would win the fight, a full grown raccoon or a full grown Tom feral cat?Gary

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by JM View Post
    I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
    Thank you richard, same to you. As for the green boxer shorts, that would require that I actually wear boxer shorts under my kilt...;-D

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
      I imagine anything can happen, but from what I see and here out back, when the raccoons are around, the local kitty's are in peril.
      Not a fan of typos, eh?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by JM View Post
        I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
        Don't wear that kilt and stand too close to the coon-cat fight!

        Comment


        • #19
          Ha! So we've officially run out of things to talk about, huh? Like the rest of you my money is on the racoon. Have a friend who's a vet and asked his opinion on the subject. He says over the years he's treated a number of cats who've had their a$$ kicked by racoons. Those where house cats of course. If it was a feral rambo kittie, then who knows?
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #20
            During a period of time when my lands were being infested by vermin invasive-species cats for nearly two decades, I spent quite a few years helping the native predator populations to increase in numbers (at one point I counted as many as 60 assorted native predators in my yard some nights). Using them as my wildlife army to oust the invasive species vermin cats. I learned (and am still learning) much about the behavior of wild raccoons. Some of them to this day still bring their cubs around during whelping season to show them off to me, or pawn their kids off on me for a day or two to get a much needed break from their little woodland terrorists. Their kids playing tug-o'-war with my bootlaces as the mother will lay belly-up alongside me snoring away. (Then I don't see them again until next year.)

            Doesn't matter the size of the cat, a raccoon will win hands-down every time. They are some of the toughest (and smartest) wildlife on the N. American continent. I've seen them fall from a tree 40 feet up (during a fight in a tree with another raccoon) with half their face torn-off and after landing with a loud thud climb back up the tree to continue on in their fight. I swear, that when they get into these squabbles, that if someone was out by the dirt-road at night listening to the screeching and growling going on back here in the woods, someone would think that I'm torturing a dozen animals to death. LOL (They still respect me for some reason though and have never challenged me, even if I take their food away from their plate while they are eating. (Well, one did just one time, but that was solved with a hefty whap upside its head with a food-pan.) They've been more respectful than some dogs I've owned. Some so gentle (when they want to be) that they'd even want to hold my hand with a paw while they eat, or as I tweak their nose while they eat, just for fun. These are completely wild raccoons, mind you.)

            That being said, there's something that even a full-grown adult raccoon will not dare take-on. During the development of yearling raccoons, there comes a time when a litter of them outgrow the needs of being around their female parent. But they also aren't sure enough of the world to face it alone. So they form "gangs" with their siblings. I call it their "juvenile delinquent" phase. Not even a full-grown alpha raccoon will dare take-on one of these packs of roving juvenile-delinquent gangs. I've seen a pack of these juvenile raccoons chase every last one of 20-30 adult raccoons out of my yard just to show them who's boss. The adults don't even think about challenging them back.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DogSong View Post
              Ha! So we've officially run out of things to talk about, huh? Like the rest of you my money is on the racoon. Have a friend who's a vet and asked his opinion on the subject. He says over the years he's treated a number of cats who've had their a$$ kicked by racoons. Those where house cats of course. If it was a feral rambo kittie, then who knows?
              DogSong, now that is what I am talking about, a cat bringing a knife to a cat/coon fight, you can never trust the little devils to fight fair, and your cat is even outguning the poor coon. Where in hell did you ever come up with that picture anyway ?
              That is the epidemy of a tough cat !!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by JM View Post
                I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
                Well Hft, the only other thing that would go well under a kilt is a pair of panties, and I hope you are not saying
                that those might be a possibility, or are you ? I know you are not brave enough to go around with nothing to
                protect the little fellow who is the resider there, and then there is always the what if you have a accident and
                they must take you to the hospital question ? Prepare yourself man !

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Nature Advocate View Post
                  During a period of time when my lands were being infested by vermin invasive-species cats for nearly two decades, I spent quite a few years helping the native predator populations to increase in numbers (at one point I counted as many as 60 assorted native predators in my yard some nights). Using them as my wildlife army to oust the invasive species vermin cats. I learned (and am still learning) much about the behavior of wild raccoons. Some of them to this day still bring their cubs around during whelping season to show them off to me, or pawn their kids off on me for a day or two to get a much needed break from their little woodland terrorists. Their kids playing tug-o'-war with my bootlaces as the mother will lay belly-up alongside me snoring away. (Then I don't see them again until next year.)

                  Doesn't matter the size of the cat, a raccoon will win hands-down every time. They are some of the toughest (and smartest) wildlife on the N. American continent. I've seen them fall from a tree 40 feet up (during a fight in a tree with another raccoon) with half their face torn-off and after landing with a loud thud climb back up the tree to continue on in their fight. I swear, that when they get into these squabbles, that if someone was out by the dirt-road at night listening to the screeching and growling going on back here in the woods, someone would think that I'm torturing a dozen animals to death. LOL (They still respect me for some reason though and have never challenged me, even if I take their food away from their plate while they are eating. (Well, one did just one time, but that was solved with a hefty whap upside its head with a food-pan.) They've been more respectful than some dogs I've owned. Some so gentle (when they want to be) that they'd even want to hold my hand with a paw while they eat, or as I tweak their nose while they eat, just for fun. These are completely wild raccoons, mind you.)

                  That being said, there's something that even a full-grown adult raccoon will not dare take-on. During the development of yearling raccoons, there comes a time when a litter of them outgrow the needs of being around their female parent. But they also aren't sure enough of the world to face it alone. So they form "gangs" with their siblings. I call it their "juvenile delinquent" phase. Not even a full-grown alpha raccoon will dare take-on one of these packs of roving juvenile-delinquent gangs. I've seen a pack of these juvenile raccoons chase every last one of 20-30 adult raccoons out of my yard just to show them who's boss. The adults don't even think about challenging them back.
                  If you were a real "nature advocate", you'd know that feeding animals such as raccoons is generally frowned-upon because it habituates them to humans. That does the animals no good at all, long-term.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                    Get Ready to Rumble!
                    Cat vs. Coon.
                    Gary

                    Here is my proof on which species is tough as nails.
                    I have many bear photos with coon four feet away.
                    I never saw a feral cat or a Bobcat stand his ground to a bear.
                    I am not too sure JHP ! From that foto I am not sure either of them could defeat a road killed squirrel, just
                    look at those wussie little faces !

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                      Get Ready to Rumble!
                      Cat vs. Coon.
                      Gary

                      Here is my proof on which species is tough as nails.
                      I have many bear photos with coon four feet away.
                      I never saw a feral cat or a Bobcat stand his ground to a bear.
                      I agree. Looks like those guys would have a hard time killing kibble.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Nature Advocate View Post
                        During a period of time when my lands were being infested by vermin invasive-species cats for nearly two decades, I spent quite a few years helping the native predator populations to increase in numbers (at one point I counted as many as 60 assorted native predators in my yard some nights). Using them as my wildlife army to oust the invasive species vermin cats. I learned (and am still learning) much about the behavior of wild raccoons. Some of them to this day still bring their cubs around during whelping season to show them off to me, or pawn their kids off on me for a day or two to get a much needed break from their little woodland terrorists. Their kids playing tug-o'-war with my bootlaces as the mother will lay belly-up alongside me snoring away. (Then I don't see them again until next year.)

                        Doesn't matter the size of the cat, a raccoon will win hands-down every time. They are some of the toughest (and smartest) wildlife on the N. American continent. I've seen them fall from a tree 40 feet up (during a fight in a tree with another raccoon) with half their face torn-off and after landing with a loud thud climb back up the tree to continue on in their fight. I swear, that when they get into these squabbles, that if someone was out by the dirt-road at night listening to the screeching and growling going on back here in the woods, someone would think that I'm torturing a dozen animals to death. LOL (They still respect me for some reason though and have never challenged me, even if I take their food away from their plate while they are eating. (Well, one did just one time, but that was solved with a hefty whap upside its head with a food-pan.) They've been more respectful than some dogs I've owned. Some so gentle (when they want to be) that they'd even want to hold my hand with a paw while they eat, or as I tweak their nose while they eat, just for fun. These are completely wild raccoons, mind you.)

                        That being said, there's something that even a full-grown adult raccoon will not dare take-on. During the development of yearling raccoons, there comes a time when a litter of them outgrow the needs of being around their female parent. But they also aren't sure enough of the world to face it alone. So they form "gangs" with their siblings. I call it their "juvenile delinquent" phase. Not even a full-grown alpha raccoon will dare take-on one of these packs of roving juvenile-delinquent gangs. I've seen a pack of these juvenile raccoons chase every last one of 20-30 adult raccoons out of my yard just to show them who's boss. The adults don't even think about challenging them back.
                        Already 20-steps ahead of ya. I knew what I was doing and getting-into when I wanted to raise an army of native wildlife predators to destroy everyone's surrounding invasive-species vermin cats. In order to ensure the survival of my "wildlife army", I concocted a "universal" critter-food that they'd find nowhere else. Even keyed with a special combo of spices so they'd find the scent nowhere else. (Aside, it's a real sturdy "corn bread" that will survive even being washed in a raccoon's slobber-bucket. Laced with eggs for protein (I didn't even want them to learn that chicken's eggs would be enticing so they are hidden in the "critter cake", powdered milk for strong bones, and even vitamins for any trace-elements that they might need so I didn't get any sick animals around). Not only did I not want them getting shot by all the ecologically-destructive moron farmers in the area, I didn't want them to bother anyone else for miles around.

                        By the scent of this food, and my unique location, many of them have managed to return to my place every year for over a decade now. I can identify many of the individuals by their ear-markings, coloring patterns, and even some with unique "personality traits".

                        Trust me, if they were going to any farms in the area to bother anyone, they wouldn't have been returning year after year -- "Farmer Brown" would have surely shot them dead.

                        In fact, when I have visitors, they won't even come to the house for a couple of days if someone else has walked through my yard and left their "suspicious" scent here. They're smart, they know! And I do too. :-)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by JM View Post
                          I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
                          You forgot the good ol' loincloth richard. The advantage to that is that if you use a large-enough one you can use it for a blanket if you're stranded in the woods overnight.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by DogSong View Post
                            Ha! So we've officially run out of things to talk about, huh? Like the rest of you my money is on the racoon. Have a friend who's a vet and asked his opinion on the subject. He says over the years he's treated a number of cats who've had their a$$ kicked by racoons. Those where house cats of course. If it was a feral rambo kittie, then who knows?
                            I almost passed out when JM said he saw a barn yard cat beat a raccoon. I took a survey vote on Outdoor Life and Field and Stream and the coon won by a landslide. I feel a lot better now?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by JM View Post
                              I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
                              Ok, you win, I have to giive up after that one, there is nothing I can say after that exagerated remark. I guess
                              that is why I always see to it that I never get stranded in the woods !!! My hat is off to you, you lucky fellow !

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                                Get Ready to Rumble!
                                Cat vs. Coon.
                                Gary

                                Here is my proof on which species is tough as nails.
                                I have many bear photos with coon four feet away.
                                I never saw a feral cat or a Bobcat stand his ground to a bear.
                                Well hft, we must have pissed someone off, the fotos of the little wussies is gone, I think it was your
                                kibble comment that ended their brief appearance on this reality show !!

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                                Right Rail 1 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Hit the river finally
                                  by fitch270
                                  Ball season wrapped up for us this week and I’ve managed to mostly finish up the projects we started last year. We set the camper up out back last night...
                                  06-12-2021, 08:57 PM
                                • Tip for recoil pad fit. Apologies for yet again another Dewman post.
                                  by dewman
                                  So it occurred to me as I was fixing the mediocre rubber buttpad (not a recoil pad in my book) fit on my recent 10/22 Boyd's that I had never mentioned...
                                  06-12-2021, 10:15 AM
                                • Tractor day
                                  by fitch270
                                  Just something fun that happens at our school the last Friday of classes before finals week. I have no idea who started it or when, it was past my time,...
                                  06-10-2021, 11:57 PM
                                • A middle age paradox
                                  by fitch270
                                  So last weekend I placed an order and less than 15 minutes later realized I’d willingly set myself up.

                                  I’ve often mentioned that the...
                                  06-09-2021, 11:37 PM
                                • Father's Day comes early. SURPRISE!
                                  by dewman
                                  My wife listens to me and my pal talking about squirrel chasing every evening for a week and while we are talking the subject of my pals Boyds stocks...
                                  06-08-2021, 08:00 PM

                                Right Rail 3 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X