Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would win the fight, a full grown raccoon or a full grown Tom feral cat?Gary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who would win the fight, a full grown raccoon or a full grown Tom feral cat?Gary

Who would win the fight, a full grown raccoon or a full grown Tom feral cat? Gary

Get Ready to Rumble!
    Cat vs. Coon.
    Gary

Here is my proof on which species is tough as nails.
    I have many bear photos with coon four feet away.
    I never saw a feral cat or a Bobcat stand his ground to a bear.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
      Get Ready to Rumble!
      Cat vs. Coon.
      Gary

Here is my proof on which species is tough as nails.
      I have many bear photos with coon four feet away.
      I never saw a feral cat or a Bobcat stand his ground to a bear.
      I say the coon.

Comment

I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
          I've actually been reading up on the subject, and there are cases of raccoons that willingly targeted and killed multiple cats(I read one where a single raccoon killed 16 cats)...I've also been reading that raccoons will often kill a cat if the owner leaves the cat food outside. At full grown I am going with a raccoon every time, given that a raccoon could weigh twice as much. I can't find any stories online showing that a cat killed a raccoon, so maybe my story/cat was just a case of luck?
          Good points, but a full-grown feral tom is a whole other animal than even the toughest house-cat. I agree that the weight could be the deciding factor, though, and even though I've seen some big cats, most of the feral ones probably don't live high enough on the hog to get really hefty. On the farm I worked on as a kid, we did have one big old boy that the English shepherds tread lightly around. They're not the biggest meanest dogs, but they're not small, either, and they're certainly not timid. I'd put my money on the raccoons with most cats, but not that cat.

Comment

That's like the miniature version of tiger vs. grizzly! In line with what JM said and my comment to that, I think that if the cat's savvy enough to prevent the coon from using his weight to good advantage, and if Tom's truly a hard-bitten feral gunslinger, he'll come out ahead. Otherwise, a hefty old coon with some years under his belt wins it.

Comment

I think I would have to put my money on the coon also. A full grown coon could weigh more than twice
              that of a cat, and that alone would be a big advantage ! I just can't see a cat jumping up and down in
              victory after a coon fight. However, if the cat was to bring a knife into the ring, there might be a different
              result, but then the coon could always then bring a gun, but he would have to kill the cat nine times before
              everything was settled ! This could go on for quite some time, maybe we should find something else that
              is easier to decide !!

Comment

Absolutely no doubt that an adult coon in my area would kill even a big tomcat every time. The coons grow big around here - 25 pound boars are not uncommon. Down south where the coons are much smaller, maybe a big, tough cat might have a chance, but I doubt it. You have to remember that two of a cat's best defenses - its climbing ability and its claws - are somewhat neutralized when fighting a coon. Coons can climb almost as well as a cat, and they also use their claws viciously in a fight.

Comment

I'd say that was one lucky cat. It was a small coon too, though.

Comment

Doh!! We forgot all about the cat's nine lives. Good job, Richard. So then, we more or less vote for the raccoons, but only the coons with some stamina!

Comment

I imagine anything can happen, but from what I see and here out back, when the raccoons are around, the local kitty's are in peril.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                        I imagine anything can happen, but from what I see and here out back, when the raccoons are around, the local kitty's are in peril.
                        kitties. I hate myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                          That's like the miniature version of tiger vs. grizzly! In line with what JM said and my comment to that, I think that if the cat's savvy enough to prevent the coon from using his weight to good advantage, and if Tom's truly a hard-bitten feral gunslinger, he'll come out ahead. Otherwise, a hefty old coon with some years under his belt wins it.
                          Gary, I don't quite know how you took this, along with my comment to JM's post, and turned it into "said a barn yard cat would whoop a coon's butt," or whatever it said on FS. But that's okay. LOL, you should work for the mainstream media, covering elections. You didn't really get it wrong, but you made it sound just like it had to, to help get the argument moving. Well done.

Comment

BTW Hft, I hope you remember to wear green boxer shorts under your kilt today, that is a must for all the
                            good Irish people, and I wish you a very nice St. Patricks Day. Have somefun, maybe go flag a turkey
                            with a uplifted kilt !!!

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                              Hear. It gets worse.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                                by 99explorer
                                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                Now the twins are adults...
                                Yesterday, 04:27 PM
                              • Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X