Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was looking back at huntfishtrap's compass question. Had me wondering how "lost" has anyone gotten and what was the resolution? I'll fill mine in on first post.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    I can recall being truly turned around on 3 occasions.

    On one occasion I was car camping on an overcast day and had walked maybe 100 yards into the woods looking for firewood. Head down to the ground, not really paying attention to where I was going. Finally found a decent couple of small logs to carry out and realized I didn't know which way was up. Just car camping, right? How could I possibly get lost. Thought about it for a minute. If I went the right way, I'd be out in short order. If I went the complete wrong way, there was a RR track 3 miles away that would be the first recognizable landmark. So I sat and listened. Took 5 minutes but eventually someone slammed a car door at the campground and I went that way. Nothing happened, but I remember thinking "Way to go, great outdoorsman, you got lost at the edge of a parking lot."
    Upside about the woods is a lower density of predators.

    Comment


    • #32
      Huntfish passing the parking lot brings something else to mind that always amuse me.

      There's a piece of state land only 20 minutes from my house, I haven't hunted there much the last couple of years, but I've probably spent a couple of dozen days there since I moved to the area, and gravitate to the same far corner every time I go.
      I take one route in, and every single night I walk out, some trick of geography and multi-flora rose has me take a slightly different route out.
      I know it's going to happen. I'm adamant that it's not going to happen this time, but like clockwork I end up coming out just a hundred yards further down this utility line than the way I came in. I'm never really lost, but I never really take the route back I intend to. If I hunt just the morning, doesn't happen. It's like a weird mental block when it gets dark up there.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
        To this day I regularly get turned around, perhaps lost in big cities. Skyways, subways, hallways in high rises more often than not get me walking the wrong way until I spend enough time becoming familiar with the surroundings.
        Out in the country's fields, woods, mountains and swamps I rarely have any trouble finding my way. The exceptions are the times I did not have a compass or now a days a GPS. Those times are hardly worth talking about because they only lasted for some hours and resulted in a little longer hike than planned. I did learn early on never camouflage your tent, truck, boat, flashlight, knife, compass, etc..
        I have had unplanned overnights while tracking elk, deer and bears as in the hunting technique not wounded game. In these instants darkness came before I found my prey so I just stay out overnight and resume the trail in the morning.
        hards is apparently how we say yards in PA. I will not entertain any other plays on that word. Ok, it's like 16 yards.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
          I can recall being truly turned around on 3 occasions.

          On one occasion I was car camping on an overcast day and had walked maybe 100 yards into the woods looking for firewood. Head down to the ground, not really paying attention to where I was going. Finally found a decent couple of small logs to carry out and realized I didn't know which way was up. Just car camping, right? How could I possibly get lost. Thought about it for a minute. If I went the right way, I'd be out in short order. If I went the complete wrong way, there was a RR track 3 miles away that would be the first recognizable landmark. So I sat and listened. Took 5 minutes but eventually someone slammed a car door at the campground and I went that way. Nothing happened, but I remember thinking "Way to go, great outdoorsman, you got lost at the edge of a parking lot."
          Lol. Good one.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
            I actually haven't been really lost very often. The one situation that comes to mind was in the summer a few years ago. I was going to check a couple trail cameras I had put out on a piece of public land the week before. They were about 1 1/2 miles from the parking lot, and I knew there were some rain showers in the area, but I didn't think it would amount to much if it did rain, so I went anyway. I got back to the cameras and had just started to return when it started to rain lightly, and before long it was absolutely pouring. I was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, but it was probably 70 degrees, so I wasn't worried about getting cold, but it was still miserable getting soaked. I had been walking for long enough that I knew I had to be getting close to the parking lot, but it was raining so hard I couldn't see more than 20 or 30 yards in the thick timber. All of a sudden I realized the ground was sloping the wrong way, and I had a brief moment of alarm before I forced myself to stop and think things over. I finally realized I had overshot the parking lot and was actually past it, so I turned around about 120 degrees and was at my car within 5 minutes.
            Yep. I'll tell you what; that's easier said than done though, even in a fairly non-remote area where you can walk for an hour or two in a straight line in just about any direction and hit a road. Funny how not knowing where you are can make even a calm, cool-headed person start sweating.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Happy Myles View Post
              I was elk hunting in tough country, tough even for elk, it was snowing hard and fog was dense. I came across tracks in the deep snow. I was chagrined, and surprised. This was isolated, three hours from base camp, which itself, was a long day by pack train from trail head. I followed the tracks always until I noticed where the individual had relieved himself. The chilling realization hit me, these were my tracks. Until that moment, I thought lost people traveling in a circle was an old wives tale. I backtracked a couple hours, straighten myself out, and plodded back to camp
              That reminds me of a story involving my father. When he was a young guy, he and a buddy were in a boat on the Mississippi River in dense fog. They were motoring along for quite a while, and dad noticed the wake curving slightly, but he thought it was just due to the current. Then lights appeared out of the fog, and when they got close they realized they were back along the same shore where they'd started! They'd been going in a huge circle the whole time.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                Huntfish passing the parking lot brings something else to mind that always amuse me.

                There's a piece of state land only 20 minutes from my house, I haven't hunted there much the last couple of years, but I've probably spent a couple of dozen days there since I moved to the area, and gravitate to the same far corner every time I go.
                I take one route in, and every single night I walk out, some trick of geography and multi-flora rose has me take a slightly different route out.
                I know it's going to happen. I'm adamant that it's not going to happen this time, but like clockwork I end up coming out just a hundred yards further down this utility line than the way I came in. I'm never really lost, but I never really take the route back I intend to. If I hunt just the morning, doesn't happen. It's like a weird mental block when it gets dark up there.
                So you're cursed with that danged multi-flora rose too huh? I believe if there is a hell, it must be overgrown with that stuff.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  Sorry folks, I was away all weekend at a pistol class and not here when you decided to share. Thanks all.
                  Sounds interesting. What was the class about?

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I went fishing one morning really early, taking my nagging wife with me finally. It was so foggy you couldn't see nothing ! But she was adamant that I launched the boat ! So,I launched the boat, thinking we would just hug the shoreline until the fog lifted. The wife caught a fish and as I was taking the fish off (yes, I had to do that and bait her hook also) I took my eyes off the shore for a few seconds and when I looked up I was turned around ! We "trolled" for 2 hours until the fog lifted and we was somewhere up in the creek feeder part of the reservoir that I've never been in. I started back downstream into the main reservoir and the trolling motor battery went dead. We was in my 10' johnboat and had no paddle ! I found a floating stick and used it to swish my way back toward where I thought the boat landing was. We finally made it back,7 hours after we left. I never took her fishing again !

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                      To this day I regularly get turned around, perhaps lost in big cities. Skyways, subways, hallways in high rises more often than not get me walking the wrong way until I spend enough time becoming familiar with the surroundings.
                      Out in the country's fields, woods, mountains and swamps I rarely have any trouble finding my way. The exceptions are the times I did not have a compass or now a days a GPS. Those times are hardly worth talking about because they only lasted for some hours and resulted in a little longer hike than planned. I did learn early on never camouflage your tent, truck, boat, flashlight, knife, compass, etc..
                      I have had unplanned overnights while tracking elk, deer and bears as in the hunting technique not wounded game. In these instants darkness came before I found my prey so I just stay out overnight and resume the trail in the morning.
                      Charlie has an excellent point about not having small items camouflaged. Having them brightly-colored prevents a lot of "Now where the heck did I put that" situations.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                        To this day I regularly get turned around, perhaps lost in big cities. Skyways, subways, hallways in high rises more often than not get me walking the wrong way until I spend enough time becoming familiar with the surroundings.
                        Out in the country's fields, woods, mountains and swamps I rarely have any trouble finding my way. The exceptions are the times I did not have a compass or now a days a GPS. Those times are hardly worth talking about because they only lasted for some hours and resulted in a little longer hike than planned. I did learn early on never camouflage your tent, truck, boat, flashlight, knife, compass, etc..
                        I have had unplanned overnights while tracking elk, deer and bears as in the hunting technique not wounded game. In these instants darkness came before I found my prey so I just stay out overnight and resume the trail in the morning.
                        What would you like to know about "out on the tundra" jcarlin? I can go on for hours & days about wilderness type adventures. Everyone who has an interest should get out there while they're young. Don't keep it on a "bucket list"; set a deadline and make plans now to getter done. One thing you don't have to worry about out on the tundra is any human stumbling by to take you stuff, furry critters are whole other story.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                          Huntfish passing the parking lot brings something else to mind that always amuse me.

                          There's a piece of state land only 20 minutes from my house, I haven't hunted there much the last couple of years, but I've probably spent a couple of dozen days there since I moved to the area, and gravitate to the same far corner every time I go.
                          I take one route in, and every single night I walk out, some trick of geography and multi-flora rose has me take a slightly different route out.
                          I know it's going to happen. I'm adamant that it's not going to happen this time, but like clockwork I end up coming out just a hundred yards further down this utility line than the way I came in. I'm never really lost, but I never really take the route back I intend to. If I hunt just the morning, doesn't happen. It's like a weird mental block when it gets dark up there.
                          I bought goats largely to control the constant encroachment of a cocktail of multi flora rose, poison ivy, and grape vine. That combination is a big enough PIA to deal with that taking care of the animals every day is worth it. They'll the rose 'til last, but they like the grape vine and will eat poison ivy to the exclusion of all else if they have access to it.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                            Sorry folks, I was away all weekend at a pistol class and not here when you decided to share. Thanks all.
                            I could spend a day (actually I did yesterday) talking about that.
                            Check out Tactical Response's Fighting Pistol. They have a website and there are reviews and youtube videos everywhere.
                            What I will say is I had high expectations of the class. It was a blast. It was at least as informative as I expected it to be. Where it exceeded all of my expectations was the effectiveness. By the end of Day Two, and I think this speaks to the average person there, you were concentrating on cover and movement. Mag changes and acquiring sight picture I don't even remember doing, it was so drilled in that those things just happened as a side effect of the drill. You were concentrating on the skill set they were teaching you and bullets just went where you sent them. And that appeared to be universal for the students. Even with a 85% civilian class of all levels starting the morning on day 1, by the end of day 2 for most people you could have stood next to the silhouette while they were shooting on the move and from multiple positions and in a hurry, and you'd have been in little danger. THAT part, the level of change in EVERYONE there, was shocking to me. I'm not saying everyone was magically transformed into a high speed, gun-fighting ninja, but those guys know their business as trainers.
                            For anyone who carries for self defense, I'll tell you my only regret was not having taking that specific course 15 years ago. I'll be back to them for something annually now if I can help it. They're out of Tennessee, but travel. This class was outside of Hershey, PA.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                              To this day I regularly get turned around, perhaps lost in big cities. Skyways, subways, hallways in high rises more often than not get me walking the wrong way until I spend enough time becoming familiar with the surroundings.
                              Out in the country's fields, woods, mountains and swamps I rarely have any trouble finding my way. The exceptions are the times I did not have a compass or now a days a GPS. Those times are hardly worth talking about because they only lasted for some hours and resulted in a little longer hike than planned. I did learn early on never camouflage your tent, truck, boat, flashlight, knife, compass, etc..
                              I have had unplanned overnights while tracking elk, deer and bears as in the hunting technique not wounded game. In these instants darkness came before I found my prey so I just stay out overnight and resume the trail in the morning.
                              Charlie, Anything you'd care to share.

                              Editor's, I've read a lot from this man over the last few years, I think it's time he's on the payroll.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                                I actually haven't been really lost very often. The one situation that comes to mind was in the summer a few years ago. I was going to check a couple trail cameras I had put out on a piece of public land the week before. They were about 1 1/2 miles from the parking lot, and I knew there were some rain showers in the area, but I didn't think it would amount to much if it did rain, so I went anyway. I got back to the cameras and had just started to return when it started to rain lightly, and before long it was absolutely pouring. I was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, but it was probably 70 degrees, so I wasn't worried about getting cold, but it was still miserable getting soaked. I had been walking for long enough that I knew I had to be getting close to the parking lot, but it was raining so hard I couldn't see more than 20 or 30 yards in the thick timber. All of a sudden I realized the ground was sloping the wrong way, and I had a brief moment of alarm before I forced myself to stop and think things over. I finally realized I had overshot the parking lot and was actually past it, so I turned around about 120 degrees and was at my car within 5 minutes.
                                I'm generally not a nervous type, but there are a couple of pieces of ground over the years that just give me the creeps. Nothing I can put my finger on, just unsettled when I'm there. One of them, is the SGL I mentioned in my slight veering off course on the way out every night. I don't go there much anymore because for some reason my adrenaline is up every time I leave.
                                Another is a state forest spot that my wife and I had backpacked to a couple of times.
                                Second time we were there was the last. Nothing ever happened there no event, so sight, no sound, no smell.
                                Breaking camp one morning on the second trip when my wife asks me, "Do you like it here?".
                                "Nope, it's beautiful and peaceful and I hate it here."
                                "I keep looking over my shoulder thinking there's someone there."
                                "Yes, I forgot about that from our first trip, but I didn't sleep at night that time or this time, and I keep thinking someone is watching me. As soon as we got into the woods yesterday I had the same feeling and remembered but figured we were committed."
                                "I hate you, I can't believe you let us come back here, the place creeps me out and you're always the one who says if something doesn't feel right, listen to that becuase it's probably not right."
                                "Yep.. I hate it here."

                                Comment

                                Welcome!

                                Collapse

                                Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                                If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                                And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                                Right Rail 1 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Top Active Users

                                Collapse

                                There are no top active users.

                                Right Rail 2 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                • Parallax adj
                                  by CD2
                                  Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

                                  Bud never came for scope and...
                                  08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                                • TriggerTech installed
                                  by fitch270
                                  First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

                                  Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                  08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                                • Aquila ammo test
                                  by dewman
                                  Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                                  Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                                  08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                                • Show and Tell
                                  by Amflyer
                                  Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                                  08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                                • College Orientation News
                                  by fitch270
                                  Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                                  07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

                                Right Rail 3 Ad

                                Collapse

                                Footer Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X