Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was looking back at huntfishtrap's compass question. Had me wondering how "lost" has anyone gotten and what was the resolution? I'll fill mine in on first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was looking back at huntfishtrap's compass question. Had me wondering how "lost" has anyone gotten and what was the resolution? I'll fill mine in on first post.

I was looking back at huntfishtrap's compass question. Had me wondering how "lost" has anyone gotten and what was the resolution? I'll fill mine in on first post.

I can recall being truly turned around on 3 occasions.

On one occasion I was car camping on an overcast day and had walked maybe 100 yards into the woods looking for firewood. Head down to the ground, not really paying attention to where I was going. Finally found a decent couple of small logs to carry out and realized I didn't know which way was up. Just car camping, right? How could I possibly get lost. Thought about it for a minute. If I went the right way, I'd be out in short order. If I went the complete wrong way, there was a RR track 3 miles away that would be the first recognizable landmark. So I sat and listened. Took 5 minutes but eventually someone slammed a car door at the campground and I went that way. Nothing happened, but I remember thinking "Way to go, great outdoorsman, you got lost at the edge of a parking lot."

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

On one occasion I was car camping on an overcast day and had walked maybe 100 yards into the woods looking for firewood. Head down to the ground, not really paying attention to where I was going. Finally found a decent couple of small logs to carry out and realized I didn't know which way was up. Just car camping, right? How could I possibly get lost. Thought about it for a minute. If I went the right way, I'd be out in short order. If I went the complete wrong way, there was a RR track 3 miles away that would be the first recognizable landmark. So I sat and listened. Took 5 minutes but eventually someone slammed a car door at the campground and I went that way. Nothing happened, but I remember thinking "Way to go, great outdoorsman, you got lost at the edge of a parking lot."
      Another, my wife and I were backpacking the West Rim Trail here in PA. Several miles into Day 1, I realized, because I was using a map and compass, that we seemed to be veering off track, though we were on a well marked trail. Thought I knew where we went wrong and where we were, but the easiest way to check was to go another 3/4 mile where, if we were on the side trail I thought we were, it should hit a road. Sat my wife down with the two packs, jogged up the trail, sure enough there's the road, jogged back. My wife, a little shakily says "never leave me alone in the woods again."
      Trail had a hairpin turn and creek crossing in it, that was practically a game trail compared to the almost fire road we had continued down. On the map, it wasn't obvious that we'd missed it because we were still kind of sidehilling and paralleling the same ridge in the same general direction, but were 150' further up the mountain than we should have been for a while before it started really veering off track.

Comment

Another, my wife and I were backpacking the West Rim Trail here in PA. Several miles into Day 1, I realized, because I was using a map and compass, that we seemed to be veering off track, though we were on a well marked trail. Thought I knew where we went wrong and where we were, but the easiest way to check was to go another 3/4 mile where, if we were on the side trail I thought we were, it should hit a road. Sat my wife down with the two packs, jogged up the trail, sure enough there's the road, jogged back. My wife, a little shakily says "never leave me alone in the woods again." Trail had a hairpin turn and creek crossing in it, that was practically a game trail compared to the almost fire road we had continued down. On the map, it wasn't obvious that we'd missed it because we were still kind of sidehilling and paralleling the same ridge in the same general direction, but were 150' further up the mountain than we should have been for a while before it started really veering off track

Comment

One evening set a stand up in the dark, headed out with my FinL who had been hunting the mountain for 40 years, at a spot that I was unfamiliar with. That being said, I was definitely being led around at that point. Should have been easy in and out though. Stand couldn't have been 50 yards off the main access trail.
          I couldn't even tell you how we headed in wrong direction. But it got to the point of starting to hang survey tape to figure out where we'd been. About 45 minutes later I stopped us walking.
          "OK, we are back on the trail." "how can you tell under all these leaves?"
          "You can feel the ground is all compacted here. Walk 5' in either direction and you'll feel the difference." He did, and agreed.
          "Well, the lights from town are showing against the clouds way over that way, so I'm guessing we go this way."
          We were off the mountain in 20 minutes from that point.
          What always makes me laugh thinking about it is when the sun came up the next morning I could see survey tape seemingly randomly placed on trees and bushes for about 200 yards from my stand. I got down for a break around lunchtime and went and gathered up all I could find.

Comment

We got turned around in the Adirondacks following a bear. He actually made a big circle. Close to dusk, we each thought 'out' was the opposite direction. We came across a lean to in case we were going to spend the night. It turns out the lean to was close to a road that we heard, and came out about a mile from the truck.

Another time I fell asleep and woke up after dark. Totally confused for a few minutes until I sorted things out.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              We got turned around in the Adirondacks following a bear. He actually made a big circle. Close to dusk, we each thought 'out' was the opposite direction. We came across a lean to in case we were going to spend the night. It turns out the lean to was close to a road that we heard, and came out about a mile from the truck.

Another time I fell asleep and woke up after dark. Totally confused for a few minutes until I sorted things out.
              Waking up in the woods is always an odd feeling for me. Even when you know where you are, I've had that, "I'm generally comfortable out here because I'm paying attention. But I just fell asleep for a good while, and anything could be behind me right now, because I have NOT been paying attention."

Comment

C'mon guys. You can admit you've lost your bearings a couple of times over the decades.

Comment

That sounds like me if I went to Philly. Lol

Comment

One evening set a stand up in the dark, headed out with my FinL who had been hunting the mountain for 40 years, at a spot that I was unfamiliar with. That being said, I was definitely being led around at that point. Should have been easy in and out though. Stand couldn't have been 50 yards off the main access trail.
                    I couldn't even tell you how we headed in wrong direction. But it got to the point of starting to hang survey tape to figure out where we'd been. About 45 minutes later I stopped us walking.
                    "OK, we are back on the trail." "how can you tell under all these leaves?"
                    "You can feel the ground is all compacted here. Walk 5' in either direction and you'll feel the difference." He did, and agreed.
                    "Well, the lights from town are showing against the clouds way over that way, so I'm guessing we go this way."
                    We were off the mountain in 20 minutes from that point.
                    What always makes me laugh thinking about it is when the sun came up the next morning I could see survey tape seemingly randomly placed on trees and bushes for about 200 yards from my stand. I got down for a break around lunchtime and went and gathered up all I could find.
                    Your comment about feeling the trail under the leaves is a good one. I hunt a large (by IA standards) piece of public land, and there is a well-used hunter trail leading from the parking lot about 1/4 mile back into the woods, at which point the hunters fan out. I've walked it often enough that I can do it in the dark just by feel, like you describe. On a related note, I've found that if I'm walking through woods that are familiar to me in the dark, and not following a marked path of some sort, I can navigate much better without using a light of any kind, as long as there is a little moon- or starlight to show the terrain. Of course, there's a greater chance of tripping over a deadfall and breaking your neck too... BTW, does PA really have mountains? I've never thought of it as a mountainous state, but I've never been there.

Comment

That's why I really try to avoid napping when in the woods. Even if I'm really tired from getting up at an unholy hour, I don't like not knowing what's going on.

Comment

C'mon guys. You can admit you've lost your bearings a couple of times over the decades.
                        Well, you know what some people say - "I've never been lost, I've just been confused a few times". Lol

Comment

I actually haven't been really lost very often. The one situation that comes to mind was in the summer a few years ago. I was going to check a couple trail cameras I had put out on a piece of public land the week before. They were about 1 1/2 miles from the parking lot, and I knew there were some rain showers in the area, but I didn't think it would amount to much if it did rain, so I went anyway. I got back to the cameras and had just started to return when it started to rain lightly, and before long it was absolutely pouring. I was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, but it was probably 70 degrees, so I wasn't worried about getting cold, but it was still miserable getting soaked. I had been walking for long enough that I knew I had to be getting close to the parking lot, but it was raining so hard I couldn't see more than 20 or 30 yards in the thick timber. All of a sudden I realized the ground was sloping the wrong way, and I had a brief moment of alarm before I forced myself to stop and think things over. I finally realized I had overshot the parking lot and was actually past it, so I turned around about 120 degrees and was at my car within 5 minutes.

Comment

True story, happened to a friend. They drove into the Adirondacks in a big ford station wagon. Found a good place to hunt and proceeded to carry gear and tent into the woods. They walked for a few hours and set up camp. In the AM they got up and one guy said, hey what's that over there? About 100 yds away from camp was their ford station wagon. They walked for hours in a big circle.

Comment

True story, happened to a friend. They drove into the Adirondacks in a big ford station wagon. Found a good place to hunt and proceeded to carry gear and tent into the woods. They walked for a few hours and set up camp. In the AM they got up and one guy said, hey what's that over there? About 100 yds away from camp was their ford station wagon. They walked for hours in a big circle.
                              Man, that is a great story JHP

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X