Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obviously, you should do whatever possible to avoid blisters on your feet when hiking or hunting. But if you do develop blisters, what can be done to minimize their impact on your walking ability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
    I think Kody also makes a good point. I am more concerned about avoiding blisters than treatment of a blister and Bob Hansen is spot on with that. I would never start a hunt with boots that weren't thoroughly broken in.
    Well, you've got to break them in somewhere. Why not do it on hunts with short walks?

Comment

Originally posted by STO Colorado View Post
      Blisters are nothing uncommon in our home. From military boots to hockey skates we treat blisters all the time! A few things that we do after blisters have developed is treat the area as a cut. Clean and cover until the hunt is over. Moleskin is our favorite product because you can actually cut an area larger than the blister, then cut a whole where the blister is located so you're not putting more pressure on the already irritated area(s). Prevention is the key though, having broke in boots will be of great benefit. This starts at the store where you buy them. There are many tricks you can use to shorten the break in time too, in the event you blow out your old boots just before a hunting season. Using low temps in the oven to heat the boots then lacing up extremely tight (to the point of circulation loss) for about 5 minutes. Do this for about 4 cycles. This will help the boot actually mold to your foot better. Remember you're putting rubber in an oven so temps over ~150 degrees F should be avoided. The oven is only used to warm the boot too not get it blazing hot because you're going to put your foot in it while its warm.
      I wonder if a hair dryer on high would warm the boots enough. I can't imagine PigHuntress being pleased with me putting boots into her oven!

Comment

The double sock method has worked the best for me. The inner sock is thin and slick so that much of the rubbing that occurs within the boot is contained at the sock to sock interface.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
          by 99explorer
          The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
          Now the twins are adults...
          Yesterday, 04:27 PM
        • Sisters.
          by 99explorer
          Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
          How...
          Yesterday, 09:32 AM
        • Rice for sale.
          by 99explorer
          A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
          He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
          He soon becomes...
          08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
        • Strangers meet.
          by 99explorer
          A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
          They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
          No identification markers...
          08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
        • OU football
          by FirstBubba
          Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
          The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
          08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X