Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obviously, you should do whatever possible to avoid blisters on your feet when hiking or hunting. But if you do develop blisters, what can be done to minimize their impact on your walking ability?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Obviously, you should do whatever possible to avoid blisters on your feet when hiking or hunting. But if you do develop blisters, what can be done to minimize their impact on your walking ability?

    Obviously, you should do whatever possible to avoid blisters on your feet when hiking or hunting. But if you do develop blisters, what can be done to minimize their impact on your walking ability?

  • #2
    Hi...


    Using a heel blister as an example...particularly if it's really hurting (and remember...you should ALWAYS have a decent first aid kit with you when afield)...I would puncture the blister with a sterile needle to drain the blister...add some antibiotic to the area...add a suitable sized gauze patch...then cover it with duct tape (that's right...duct tape) which will let the heel move freely in the shoe...!!


    Professional medical care after-the-fact should also be considered...!!

    Comment


    • #3
      @HFT,
      If you have common known areas of blisters add padding/moleskin/etc. to that area on the inside of your shoe or buy socks with padding in that area. As to the actual question I agree with Bob's answer.

      Comment


      • #4
        Previous answers are good. The object of the tape and padding is to stop the rubbing in the area of the blister.

        Comment


        • #5
          Fortunately, I have never really been prone to blisters, but when I get them, moleskin is a wonderful thing.

          Comment


          • #6
            If I notice irritation start to happen in my shoes/boots from rubbing, before it forms an actual blister, I re-evaluate my laces. Based off what professional runners say, the combination of sock thickness/thinness, and lace pressure is crucial. I have heard that more loose on the bottom and tighter as you come up the arch of the foot is a good solution. Everyone's feet is different so try what's best for you, but definitely loosening and tightening laces on your foots pressure points will help reduce this. I'll agree with Bob Hansen's ideas if the blister does form, as I always get blisters on my palms.

            Comment


            • #7
              I found that those double layer light socks that runners typically use have eliminated getting blisters for me.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think Kody also makes a good point. I am more concerned about avoiding blisters than treatment of a blister and Bob Hansen is spot on with that. I would never start a hunt with boots that weren't thoroughly broken in.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Blisters are nothing uncommon in our home. From military boots to hockey skates we treat blisters all the time! A few things that we do after blisters have developed is treat the area as a cut. Clean and cover until the hunt is over. Moleskin is our favorite product because you can actually cut an area larger than the blister, then cut a whole where the blister is located so you're not putting more pressure on the already irritated area(s). Prevention is the key though, having broke in boots will be of great benefit. This starts at the store where you buy them. There are many tricks you can use to shorten the break in time too, in the event you blow out your old boots just before a hunting season. Using low temps in the oven to heat the boots then lacing up extremely tight (to the point of circulation loss) for about 5 minutes. Do this for about 4 cycles. This will help the boot actually mold to your foot better. Remember you're putting rubber in an oven so temps over ~150 degrees F should be avoided. The oven is only used to warm the boot too not get it blazing hot because you're going to put your foot in it while its warm.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                    Hi...


                    Using a heel blister as an example...particularly if it's really hurting (and remember...you should ALWAYS have a decent first aid kit with you when afield)...I would puncture the blister with a sterile needle to drain the blister...add some antibiotic to the area...add a suitable sized gauze patch...then cover it with duct tape (that's right...duct tape) which will let the heel move freely in the shoe...!!


                    Professional medical care after-the-fact should also be considered...!!
                    We used to run a needle with thread through the blister, then cut the thread and leave it. This allowed the blister to drain. The medics would just slice it open and apply tincture de benzoine. Burned like mad, but it dried them right up. After treatment of any sort, moleskin went on.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                      Hi...


                      Using a heel blister as an example...particularly if it's really hurting (and remember...you should ALWAYS have a decent first aid kit with you when afield)...I would puncture the blister with a sterile needle to drain the blister...add some antibiotic to the area...add a suitable sized gauze patch...then cover it with duct tape (that's right...duct tape) which will let the heel move freely in the shoe...!!


                      Professional medical care after-the-fact should also be considered...!!
                      Interesting advice. But there's no way I'm leaving a thread inside of a blister like that. You're just asking for infection.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JM View Post
                        @HFT,
                        If you have common known areas of blisters add padding/moleskin/etc. to that area on the inside of your shoe or buy socks with padding in that area. As to the actual question I agree with Bob's answer.
                        I've used moleskin too

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                          Previous answers are good. The object of the tape and padding is to stop the rubbing in the area of the blister.
                          Yep, I've used duct tape to good effect for that very purpose Jimbo

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by officerdom1987 View Post
                            If I notice irritation start to happen in my shoes/boots from rubbing, before it forms an actual blister, I re-evaluate my laces. Based off what professional runners say, the combination of sock thickness/thinness, and lace pressure is crucial. I have heard that more loose on the bottom and tighter as you come up the arch of the foot is a good solution. Everyone's feet is different so try what's best for you, but definitely loosening and tightening laces on your foots pressure points will help reduce this. I'll agree with Bob Hansen's ideas if the blister does form, as I always get blisters on my palms.
                            Now, that's the first time I've heard of that as a possible solution. Thanks!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kody View Post
                              I found that those double layer light socks that runners typically use have eliminated getting blisters for me.
                              That's usually been my solution too.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                              • True romance.
                                by 99explorer
                                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X