Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You guys ever watch bear grylls man vs wild. How much of that show is fake, I don't think he gets picked up by random strangers like the show says, for all he knows ISIS could pick him up, and what about the camera crew, if there are such high risks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys ever watch bear grylls man vs wild. How much of that show is fake, I don't think he gets picked up by random strangers like the show says, for all he knows ISIS could pick him up, and what about the camera crew, if there are such high risks

You guys ever watch bear grylls man vs wild. How much of that show is fake, I don't think he gets picked up by random strangers like the show says, for all he knows ISIS could pick him up, and what about the camera crew, if there are such high risks to scale a mountain or cross a river wouldn't they get hurt. It's still a good show, but it sure seems fake.

I don't regularly watch him but I have heard a few times he has had to be rescued.

Comment

All outdoor shows out there are fake to me, in that they don't represent reality for most outdoorsmen/women. Sorry if that sounds cynical, but it's how I feel.

Comment

The one thing that will always be wrong with survival shows: Every single one of the people "surviving" knows in the back of their head that they can always push a button or make a call and leave at any moment. It's more like camping without a tent.

Comment

I agree most survial shows are just not reality in that they are scripted and the survivalist can get help at anytime. They do sometimes at least show some good ideas that may be of use some day. But overall I have to say Bear Grylls really bothers me in his approach to teaching survival skills to the average outdoorsman. I would call this guy more of a daredevil than a survivalist. He shows himself doing things that go against conventional wisdom everything that is typically taught. These are things that would most likely cause injury or lead to death with the average guy. I have seen him climb treacherous icy, wet water falls which is ridiculous unless that was your absolute last hope or you were going to die anyway. I saw him hand catch a trout out of a stream and eat it raw like a bear which is a great way to get tapeworms and other parasites. This guy is a trained british commando and he is showing everybody "Look what I can do and for my next feat I will..." Of course he can he is a commando. the average person is not a commando.This is suicide intead of survival for most people. Best is to stay dry and warm, keep calm and use your head in most cases youll figure it out or be rescued. Only do the Grylls thing when there is absolutely no other choice

Comment

He has an impressive bio, and impressive skills. His show however is more entertainment than educational. He makes a lot of "I may break my neck, but if I don't scale this icy cliff, I'd have to walk around, and that'd take 20 minutes" kind of decisions.
            It's great that he can do it. It's a bad lesson to walk away with however.

I do really like Les Stroud's show. If he's bored and miserable for 7 days just trying to tough it out, you're going to see a show that's edited to show he was bored and miserable, and not having much success making things better.

Comment

I'm with most of the commenters here in that I've never had much interest in the survival shows. I do find Fat Guys in the Woods fairly interesting though. There's some humor involved and it does involve the basics like building emergency shelters, starting a fire, and things like that.

Comment

The main thing that is shown prior to the start of every Man Vs. Wild episode was that he PURPOSELY puts himself in certain situations to show you techniques as to how to handle it. Also, with the show offering a variety of locations, and terrains, it was fantastic seeing techniques that can only be done in specific environments. Discovery dropped a big one when they didn't resign him. Another show that Bear did was Worst Case Scenario which focused on urban and modern situations that might present themselves a lot more frequently than a full-blown survival situation. Bear should be most noted for his excellent books, and wonderful work he has done for the Scouts. I also quoted him for my best man speech at my brothers wedding. Good guy, and my idol.

Comment

Hi...

All of those 'survival' shows are well scripted...How else will the chopper meet them at the last minute EACH time...??

There sometimes are pieces of the show that may apply to you...if so...soak it up...!!

Otherwise, there are lots of survival shows jumping on the bandwagon...they will come and go...!! The 'better' ones may hang around for quite a while...!!

Comment

It was in the news a few years ago that Grylls was caught using a tame horse and saying it was a wild one (I think that was in the Sierra Nevada episode) -- not that anyone watching with any knowledge of animals couldn't tell. He was also exposed as a fraud when he would leave the bush or the desert at night and sleep in a hotel, while telling viewers that he was spending the night. Even if he wasn't a fraud, I'd still say that nobody should try to learn survival from him. As noted by another user, he's more daredevil than survivalist. These shows, with the exception of Les Stroud's, are clearly not made for anyone who actually knows anything about the outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by jaegerman View Post
                      I agree most survial shows are just not reality in that they are scripted and the survivalist can get help at anytime. They do sometimes at least show some good ideas that may be of use some day. But overall I have to say Bear Grylls really bothers me in his approach to teaching survival skills to the average outdoorsman. I would call this guy more of a daredevil than a survivalist. He shows himself doing things that go against conventional wisdom everything that is typically taught. These are things that would most likely cause injury or lead to death with the average guy. I have seen him climb treacherous icy, wet water falls which is ridiculous unless that was your absolute last hope or you were going to die anyway. I saw him hand catch a trout out of a stream and eat it raw like a bear which is a great way to get tapeworms and other parasites. This guy is a trained british commando and he is showing everybody "Look what I can do and for my next feat I will..." Of course he can he is a commando. the average person is not a commando.This is suicide intead of survival for most people. Best is to stay dry and warm, keep calm and use your head in most cases youll figure it out or be rescued. Only do the Grylls thing when there is absolutely no other choice
                      I agree completely, but I will add that I would not want Bear chasing me in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathfinder1 View Post
                        Hi...

All of those 'survival' shows are well scripted...How else will the chopper meet them at the last minute EACH time...??

There sometimes are pieces of the show that may apply to you...if so...soak it up...!!

Otherwise, there are lots of survival shows jumping on the bandwagon...they will come and go...!! The 'better' ones may hang around for quite a while...!!
                        Bob... I'm not sure if you're being serious on that first point. It's the same reason everyone finds their glasses in the last place they look.. because that's when the search ends.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                          The one thing that will always be wrong with survival shows: Every single one of the people "surviving" knows in the back of their head that they can always push a button or make a call and leave at any moment. It's more like camping without a tent.
                          Yukon, S3/Ep6 (2009) - he comes out of tunnel in the ice while scaling a glacier, all supposedly alone with no equipment, and you can see the rope in his hand and it getting pulled away ever so quickly once he drops it. I has to slow motion the show to see it . This was clearly missed during editing the show, evidence of it being a dishonest survival show.

Comment

Yukon, S3/Ep6 (2009) - he comes out of tunnel in the ice while scaling a glacier, all supposedly alone with no equipment, and you can see the rope in his hand and it getting pulled away ever so quickly once he drops it. I has to slow motion the show to see it . This was clearly missed during editing the show, evidence of it being a dishonest survival show.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                              by 99explorer
                              Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                              How...
                              Today, 09:32 AM
                            • Rice for sale.
                              by 99explorer
                              A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                              He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                              He soon becomes...
                              08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                            • Strangers meet.
                              by 99explorer
                              A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                              They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                              No identification markers...
                              08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                            • OU football
                              by FirstBubba
                              Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                              The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                              08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                            • True romance.
                              by 99explorer
                              A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                              The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                              08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X