Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have any experience with primitive traps and trapping techniques? In teaching the grandson woodcraft I have thought abou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have any experience with primitive traps and trapping techniques? In teaching the grandson woodcraft I have thought abou

Anybody have any experience with primitive traps and trapping techniques? In teaching the grandson woodcraft I have thought about showing him how to make traps with a knife and materials found int he woods. For example a figure four trap. I may show him some snares etc. Just wanted to hear from any one who might have done this and what you found to work and what didn't work

My first trapping lesson as a kid was with live traps and I actually learned quite a bit. You could probably make one out of wood if you want a fun activity. After that my grandpa showed me how to set up a snare. I did not catch a lot, but I learned a lot of what NOT to do while trapping haha.

Comment

Personally, and maybe I'm all thumbs I find the figure 4's tough to get just right, but it'll keep a kid thinking for a while if he's the type and get it right. I think a basic spring snare is easy, fun for kids, and has the advantage that you can set it almost anywhere with tree/brush cover and there's a lot of play in where the snare loop is placed vs. the key itself. This lends to easily setting it along likely paths as well as teaching the concept of artificially creating a funnel. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Follow up after re-reading your post- I've never used natural materials as cordage, always had paracord and/or wire.

Comment

jcarlin, I have made him 'survival' bracelets and he can use those for cordage. I have tried for a longer period of time than I care to remember to perfect the figure four and wanted some feedback from others who have used such traps what others they would recommend to learn and to teach. If it has anything to do with hunting or fishing or being outdoors, my grandson is up for it and at 12 years old it is a challenge to keep him from being bored. I had three girls so didn't get to do this the first time around.

Comment

There's a nifty split-wood kind of trap you can build on a tree-limb for squirrels. I can't describe it, but go to YouTube and look up Ray Mears' Bushcraft; I think the trap is in the Rocky Mountains episode. There are also lots of traps described and diagrammed in the military's basic survival manual; seems like every surplus store I've ever been in has a copy or two.

Comment

I meant to add that I have built the squirrel trap and it's nowhere near as hard as the figure-4. You don't need quite the same gentle touch to get it to take hold in the set position. You'll see what I mean from the Mears video.

Comment

Ozark,

Enjoy it. I have daughters up to 17, but my youngest is a boy about to turn six. The girls are good company in a boat or in the woods and they enjoy it. Neither, however, were ever bit by the bug the way a young boy of 4 or 5 seems to be when he feels that first tug on a line.

Your mileage may differ.

Comment

jcarlin, I have two grandsons whose sp**m donor is a pr**k and wants nothing to do with either of them. Besides an uncle and the guy next door they have no good men in their lives besides me. The oldest, 12, would stay in the woods or on the water 24/7 if he could or until he got hungry. The youngest will turn five this year and has already been bitten with the fishing bug. His chorus when he wants to go fishing is 'when are we going?' repeated every five minutes. I am on disability and feel that I need to give them as much help and knowledge about hunting and fishing as I can before my body tells me it is time to quit and go to the house. And you know I have to enjoy every bit of it as I can.

Comment

Tioughnioga, I have one of those for the grandson. Unfortunately what is said to be the FM is actually a xerox type copy of one and hard to read. I will look up that trap and see if it is something that I can possibly use. If you have any other survival manuals you can recommend let me know and I will check them out as well. Thanks!

Comment

Near the end of the movie Predator, there is a good demo on how to build an effective trap.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget