Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else ever found large numbers of Morel mushrooms growing under oak trees? I've been hunting for morels every spring s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else ever found large numbers of Morel mushrooms growing under oak trees? I've been hunting for morels every spring s

Has anyone else ever found large numbers of Morel mushrooms growing under oak trees? I've been hunting for morels every spring since I was a little kid, and except for a few seemingly random ones once in a while, I've never seen it. But this spring, I'm finding a ton of them under Red and Burr oaks, almost as many as under the standard dead elms in fact.

The dead elm is no longer present.

Comment

If you mean they're growing in areas where there used to be dead elms, I have a hard time believing that, because I'm finding them in areas I've known for years, and there has never been any trace of past dead elms there for as long as I've known about the location. Mostly I've been finding them under clusters of large, older-growth oaks, where there definitely haven't been any other trees in decades, due to the oaks shading everything else out.

Comment

In the Northeast, I typically find them under apple trees. The ones that had waste apples (that deer and other critters didn't eat are best.) Weather up here (probably like everywhere else) is critically important as to whether we have them from one year to the next. It was abnormally warm and dry last spring and I never found one. Got a bit of rain and humidity this past week and I found some just yesterday. Now, it's in the upper 30s so I'm guessing that morel season such that it is up here is over. So sad, cause they are soooooooo good.

Comment

I used to find some under apple trees here Gerry, but haven't in recent years, although that's probably mostly because I lost access to a couple of the best apple-tree locations. I find quite a few under ash trees too, second only to dead elms normally. It's been a pretty good year for them here in Iowa, my brothers and I have found about 17 or 18 pounds, total.

Comment

I've found some in some weird places but not so much under oaks. Seen them around apple trees and elms mostly. If the soil is right they will grow

Comment

There's none in my immediate area in Central Alabama - never seen them...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                by 99explorer
                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                How...
                Today, 09:32 AM
              • Rice for sale.
                by 99explorer
                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                He soon becomes...
                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
              • Strangers meet.
                by 99explorer
                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                No identification markers...
                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
              • OU football
                by FirstBubba
                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
              • True romance.
                by 99explorer
                A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X