Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I finally broke down and decided I'm going to buy a thermacell bug repellant machine, but I still want to use it for deer hu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I finally broke down and decided I'm going to buy a thermacell bug repellant machine, but I still want to use it for deer hu

Ok, I finally broke down and decided I'm going to buy a thermacell bug repellant machine, but I still want to use it for deer hunting in the fall. I see it comes with a normal mat and there is also an "earth scent" that can be used. Is the normal mats scent free or should I should I use the earth scent ones? I am clueless on this stuff so any help is appreciated!

I've used mine with the regular scent while hog hunting and I haven't had any issues with it.

Comment

I can smell the regular scent, and if I can smell it, you know dadgum well the deer can. What they make of it, I can't tell you, but I love to turn it on briefly when I go in a box blind and watch the mosquitoes that were lying in ambush go pouring out the window. I still don't understand how it can generate a bubble of protection around you in a breeze when you're turkey hunting, but it does.

Comment

@ Pineywoods, it's interesting you brought that up that although they may be able to smell, it's will they react to it. I'm amazed at how scent control has become such an icon for hunting yet hunters who smoke, or drink coffee or eat pickled sandwiches in the woods don't think that smell would radiate from them to a deer as well (and sometimes deer still walk in on these stationed hunters).

Comment

Hi...

Pineywoods and Officerdom1987 make good sense. The people who REALLY benefit from those scents are the stockholders in the companies that make them...!!

Being downwind, still, and silent are still your best choices.

Last year, this or a sister mag (I think) evaluated that repellent, and found that they were ineffective in breezes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
            by fitch270
            Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
            Today, 08:27 PM
          • Unusual Sound
            by jhjimbo
            At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
            Today, 02:17 PM
          • bedding on new rifle
            by Amflyer
            Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
            Today, 12:22 AM
          • Pictures blocked when logged out?
            by fitch270
            Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
            Yesterday, 08:57 PM
          • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
            by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
            09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X