Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know to boil water can get out most bacterias. My question is does it get out all microbes and bacteria? Many people have va

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know to boil water can get out most bacterias. My question is does it get out all microbes and bacteria? Many people have va

I know to boil water can get out most bacterias. My question is does it get out all microbes and bacteria? Many people have varying answers to whether or not it actually does. Also are there any backwoods (found in the field) additives I can use to make the water taste better? Because lets face it, water right out of the pond isn't very attractive unless you're parched. Also, I know there are all kinds of filtration systems and tablets that you can use to purify water, but I want to be prepared to not have to rely on these things in case they are not available but I also want to avoid health risks. I would rather be thirsty than sick but at any rate you cannot survive for too long without water.

Boiling water for at least 5 min kills the bugs however it has no affect on chemical contamination.
    For years I have used Pur pump water filters they are worth the money. Remove all microbes and most chemicals. Even water from those murky ponds becomes almost tasteless.
    later,
    charlie

Comment

Thanks for your advice charlie. Do you know of any inexpensive filters that I can filter the water through right into my glass? I have heard that there are some filters you can use without the pumps...almost like a cofee filter type, but obviously better. I am a mimimalist so less is better for me. Thanks again Charlie.

Comment

Boiling is the safest way to purify water.
        Bring the water to a rolling boil for one full minute
        Let the water cool before drinking If you still have concerns use 3-5 drops of bleach per quart,let it stand for 30 minutes for clear water 60 minutes for cloudy- In absence of bleach the iodine tablets were used ( bad taste though)"Good Army Training"

Comment

I agree 100% with Charlie. When I was in my biology class I learned that heat kills cells . Idk if it kills bacteria. Or virus ( if they r made of cells than it shoul) but it won't get ride of harmful chemicals if there r any in the water. To be safe I would get a really good quality water filtration system. It's worth it if your life depends on it. Those pills that u dump in water should work but u will want leamonade mix with it to take out the bitterness.

Comment

Let's take your question point-by-point.

First, yes, boiling your water--and keeping it at a good roaring boil for a few minutes--will kill virtually all bacteria that might be harmful to you. Bacteria are, keep in mind, living organism, and having the water temp at such a continuous high level will kill nearly anything that lives.

However, as others have pointed out, non-living contaminants like chemicals (if your water source is polluted) and harmful metals will remain in the water regardless of whether it's boiled or not. To remove those, you need to store-bought methods of filtration.

Finally, as far as backwoods flavor additives, it depends on your preference. Dropping certain plants or leaves (like pine needles, for example, or rosemary, mint, ginger, etc) into your boiling water can give it some flavor. However, tossing plants into your pot is a dangerous game. You want to be CERTAIN that you've successfully identified the correct plant, as any mistakes in identification can have dreadful, poisonous consequences. Another option is to carry some tea bags or lemonade powder mix with you into the backcountry. These are cheap, lightweight options that will make your funky water taste 100 times better.

Comment

cherokee matt there are filters that work that work by osmosis as you describe. They are very slow compared to high quality pump filters. Remember you get what you pay for and the price of a good water filter is cheaper than the doctor, medication and time from work should you get water that makes you sick.
              There are some good quality mini pumps available that will get you a few glasses of drinkable water. But on a per gallon basis they make your water much more expensive than a quality pump filter. Due to the fast clogging of the filter.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

Some filters just take out the bad taste btw

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X