Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon after a hurricane is it safe to go fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon after a hurricane is it safe to go fishing?

How soon after a hurricane is it safe to go fishing?

Not sure, but I would think as soon as the surf gets back to normal.

Comment

The next day should be just fine. I've had some of my best Gulf fishing right after a hurricane when I wasn't too busy picking up the pieces. One year, a hurricane to the east of me, over in the Big Bend area, sent a massive amount of grouper to my area---so many the bottom dropped out of the grouper market (this was before any limits or restrictions). We were catching ten pound grouper in crab traps back up in the bays. It was wild.

The storm may leave a big swell, but you can ride those all right, even in a small boat. It's those breaking seas that'll do you in and the wind that produces those normally moves right on out.

Comment

I worked for Lew Childre in the seventies and he would fly to where a hurricane was to fish the day after. The two best fishing days period are the day defore a front and the day after. The fish find sheltered water before the front hits and they are hungry by the time prayer meeting ends and the weather front moves out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Railroad train puzzle.
          by 99explorer
          An electric train is traveling east at 40 miles an hour, and it has a tailwind blowing from the west at 40 miles per hour.
          In what direction would...
          Today, 09:03 PM
        • Hotel guest.
          by 99explorer
          A woman is sitting in her hotel room when there is a knock on the door.
          She opens the door to find a man that she has never seen before.
          The...
          Today, 08:41 PM
        • Plane crash.
          by 99explorer
          A passenger plane crashes on the exact border between the U.S. and Canada.
          Where do they bury the survivors?
          Today, 03:16 PM
        • Animals on the ark.
          by 99explorer
          How many animals of each species did Moses take on the ark with him?
          Today, 02:08 PM
        • The college student puzzle..
          by 99explorer
          A student rides his scooter to the train station to go to college. His home in between two train stations.
          The first station is a mile from home,...
          Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X