Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What iphone apps do you guys use in the backcountry--if any.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What iphone apps do you guys use in the backcountry--if any.

What iphone apps do you guys use in the backcountry--if any.

Dont have an iphone, not even sure what an app is.

Comment

I don't know how far you go into the back-country, but I'm usually far enough out that I get an occassional signal, but not a consistant signal. I don't rely on 'technology' to get me through. I still carry 3 compasses. A lot of people claim that you should carry 2, and I highly agree with that. But, I carry 3--suppose you lose one, or one does go bad, or, you have one fall out of your pack, you leave one laying somewhere and forget it, etc. Survival skills are not based on how much technology you have, but how much knowledge you have to use what is available in your surroundings. If something were to go wrong, and cell, GPS, and iPhone services were to be taken out, or fail, you may be setting yourself up for impending doom if you rely on technology for your comfort and survival.

Comment

Smart phones have many usefull applications which you can carry with you into the outdoors. That being said, however, you have to rely on non-electronic skills if things get dicey. Always carry several compasses, topo maps etc. On my Apple iphone4 it comes standard with its own aerial mapping program and compass. I have also downloaded a handful of GPS apps, which also have built in compasses. I have several survival programs, in both book and app form, which can be useful. Have even downloaded books to read if stuck somewhere.

Comment

In addition to the reply below, I also have purchased backup power packs, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, to provide power to my iphone, for several days if I get stranded in the boonies. Again,though, don't depend on electronics, depend on traditional woodsman skills. Smart phones, gps, plbs, two way radios, am/fm radios are all fine and dandy, but you remember the old story about Mr. Murphy.

Comment

My favorite apps for the backcountry are Google Earth, the Quiver Hunting App and OnXmaps. Perfect for mapping and tracking your hunts.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
              by jhjimbo
              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
              Yesterday, 02:15 PM
            • Pay it forward
              by fitch270
              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
            • Reloading Gear Order
              by fitch270
              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
              by dewman
              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
              by Ernie
              Any handgun hunters here?
              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X