Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for a very compact semi-auto pistol for concealed carry. Smallest tend to be 380s. Is there a big difference betwe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for a very compact semi-auto pistol for concealed carry. Smallest tend to be 380s. Is there a big difference betwe

I'm looking for a very compact semi-auto pistol for concealed carry. Smallest tend to be 380s. Is there a big difference between knockdown power between a 380 and a 9mm?

The .380 which is a sub-powered 9mm, is dismal at best. It is not a reliable manstopper for those times of stress when the room is quickly being coated with brown.
    I speak from over 30 years ER experience. It is not a reliable gun for self defense. If someone dies from being shot with a .380 or a 9mm, it was their day to die. I have taken care of people shot with .380's and 9mm's who, not only were not killed, but left the hospital. If you want a self defense weapon, it needs to be able to end the conflict and your story and forensics to be told.
    My advice is don't get any self defense weapon that the caliber doesn't start with a 4...

Comment

Bo - Can you elaborate on the room becoming coated with Brown?

Fatindian - I would look at some manufacturers that do concealed carry lines. I am not a huge fan of Glock, but they do make a nice, compact .357.

Comment

I personally would not use anything less than a .40. Anything less and you are asking for a beating from the guy you just made very very mad.

Comment

cjohnsrud, the room gets coated with brown because of the dad-burned fan that spreads the brown stuff all over the room... $#!+

Comment

You need to go with a .40 cal or bigger. .380 and 9mm are a joke as far as stopping power. The goal is not necessarly to kill the person but to stop the action being perpetrateted agins you. I was a cop for 25 years trust me .40 or .45 are the way to go.

Comment

There is a definite difference between the two, with the niner being more powerful.
              I'd like to say that I'm in 100% agreement with the statements about the .40 cal. guns. If I had my druthers, I'd carry a sawed off 12 ga. pump for personal protection BUT I live in the South and eight months out of the year, I don't wear enough clothing to effectively conceal a handgun of any size, especially a .40 or .45, and in my occupation, it would not be good for my clients to see that I go around armed. Thus, I carry a .380 Kel Tec in a wallet holster, working on the premise that the mouse gun in my pocket is better than a hand cannon in the truck out in he parking lot. No disrespect to Bo and others with experience, but I feel that I could deal out serious injury or death at close range with that gun. (I pray that it never happens.) I know I'd hate to have somebody empty it into my center mass. I'm too old to fight and too fat to run, so I take comfort in having that gun on my hip.
              Having said all that, I do carry heavier armament, such as the Colt .38 spl. or the Glock .40 during the part of the year when I have on enough clothing to conceal them, or am in a situation where I can carry openly.

Comment

Pineywoods,
                If you work at a desk you can strap the 12 gauge or the heavier handguns to the underside of the desk. No need for a silent alarm, the button you squeeze will let everyone know there is trouble.

Comment

Sorry, the 380 just irritates bad guys. I guarantee the bad guy has something better. They call it the pocket rocket. Yeah right. I'm a revolver guy, I'm sold on my 357.

Comment

I agree with DSMbirddog, if i went out with a revolver it would be a 357.

Comment

I'm going to stir the pot a little on this subject! 1st off the key to stopping a threat is being able to hit your target, and to take it a step further and you must hit them in a vital spot. It doesn't matter (this is where the controversy starts) what caliber gun you have, you need to put a lethal hit on them otherwise they will be injured and still able to do harm to you or whomever. If you can't hit your target in the vitals in the time of need you will not stop them with a 45, 40, 9, 38, or a 22 the only thing you will do is wound them whether a large or small wound. My wifes family (uncles and cousins) are in law enforcement and I have a friend that was in it also and I asked them what they thought on this subject and there was a common denominator HITTING YOUR TARGET! They all told of stories where there were shoot outs at extremely close ranges with 20+ shots fired without one hit. My favorite was the one my friend told me of a shoot out in a pool hall I believe in Indiana where 2 guys shot it out across a pool table from one another(the short length mind you) and there were 50+- shots fired without either person being hit this shootout only stopped because both ran out of ammunition. I also have had a very close friend that had a home invasion in his apartement and he ran to his roomates room and got his 45, shot 10 times missing both subjects and ended up being pistol whipped with his own gun damn near killing him. So knowing how to shoot is as important if not more important than caliber. The only benefit that larger bullets give you is static wounding but this won't stop someone if you shoot them in a love handle or the leg, it will drop them but they will stil be very functional with hands, brain, breathing essentailly doing nothing should the person have a gun. Another thing is bullet design. If you shooting a FMJ instead of a self defense round you are more than likely going to wound them rather than stop them regaurdless of caliber. To have an effective bullet you must shoot hollow points otherwise you will wound them unless you shoot them in the head. I know people refer to 9mm not being even a good round then because of Congresswoman Giffords, but God was on her side that day thankfully. So in the end if a 38 will allow you to conceal easily it is a plus because you will be armed and if it allows you to hit what your aiming at then don't listen to the mouse gun theories. Being armed with a light caliber gun and being able to hit your target is better than having a larger caliber gun and not being able to have it on you or even hit a target.

Comment

Dcast, I will point out one thing that I mentioned, I have taken care if multiple people who were shot in a vital area who then killed the shooter. One man was shot center of mass 5 times. He beat the shooter to death before he died. He had holes in his heart, aorta, vena cava and pulmonary artery.
                        I have never seen anyone hit with five rounds from a .45 who continued the discussion. I have taken care of head hits with some of the smaller calibers who when hit, they went down and stood right back up.
                        Being hit with a caliber that can, in a perfect situation, kill you doesn't mean that it will stop you now. It does the shooter no good to use a gun that they can shoot if it doesn't stop the entire discussion after one or two rounds.
                        In that kind of situation, it doesn't make the family feel any better when they are told "The bad guy died, but so did your husband, wife daughter..."
                        The reason that they Army went to the .45 back in the 1900's was the smaller handguns and even the .30 caliber service rifles were not always stopping the enemy and too many American GI's were dying.
                        Being able to hit the target is of primary importance. But if all you do is irritate him m0re, you have only added fuel to the fire.
                        The anti gun people love to bring in the cases where the use of guns causes the shooter to be killed. Most, if not all of those cases come from using inadequate firepower.
                        Those people become statistics and a further argument against guns by the anti-gum crowd.
                        It is better to have adequate protection than think that you do and find that you are going to be dead in a matter of seconds because you trusted in something that was NOT trustworthy.

Comment

I carry a Colt 45 Model 1991A1 compact. I'm confident it will do the job with FMJ ammo. My accuracy at 15 yards is inside 8" with a point and shoot (not aiming with the sights) and inside 2" at 7 yards. I also have a 9mm and 380 and feel comfortably with any of them. I like the 45 compact because it is small enough to carry concealed in the small of my back and large enough to handle any situation.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                            by fitch270
                            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                            Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                          • Reloading Gear Order
                            by fitch270
                            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                            by dewman
                            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                            by Ernie
                            Any handgun hunters here?
                            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                          • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                            by Ernie
                            I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                            hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                            10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X