Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I find a lot of sign in the area I am hunting and get a lot of pictures, but when it comes to bow season I see no deer at all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find a lot of sign in the area I am hunting and get a lot of pictures, but when it comes to bow season I see no deer at all.

I find a lot of sign in the area I am hunting and get a lot of pictures, but when it comes to bow season I see no deer at all. I will still get pictures during the season, but never when I am on stand. I sit in the stand for a lot of time and get nothing. Why could this be?

Check the prevailing wind. If you're in a hilly area, the wind might swirl around and put every deer in the vicinity on guard, so you'd need to practice strict scent control. Do you fidgit? I know I sometimes do, so a blind that hides movement is a big help. Best of luck to you, and be patient.

Comment

could also be other hunters in the area, and if deer get bumped and spooked enough they will go nocturnal.

Comment

Try a couple days of sitting from before light to after dark. Last season was in the same situation, lots of sign, but no sightings. Until I sat all day. Also pick the day to sit all day based on weather(not only during the day but also during the night. A stormy night will put the deer to sleep and as result they will move more during the day.) Good luck!

Comment

Your scent, movement or noise could be alerting the deer. Just do you best to control all three, and as pineywoods just said, be patient. Good luck & have a safe hunt.

Comment

A long time ago I read an article that suggested that out of every 100 bowhunters only eleven enjoyed success and firearms produced a success rate of 21 out of 100 hunters harvested a deer.So on that basis 100 trips should produce a opportunity level at anywhere between 11 and 21 per cent for harvesting an animal.If things are not working I always try and change the variables involved-location-time-different travel routes to your hunting location.This approach keeps you fresh in your outlook.Remember it not where the deer were it is the next time you are working towards.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
              by jhjimbo
              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
            • Spur of the moment rifle
              by Amflyer
              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
            • The $20 Shooting Shack
              by fitch270
              So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
              09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
            • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
              by dewman
              one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
              09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
            • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
              by dewman
              So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
              09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X