Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when you kill a deer, should you field dress it wear it falls or should you drag it a ways away from your stand and the deer t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when you kill a deer, should you field dress it wear it falls or should you drag it a ways away from your stand and the deer t

when you kill a deer, should you field dress it wear it falls or should you drag it a ways away from your stand and the deer trail?

if you plan to hunt the stand again soon yes do not leave a gut pile laying anywhere near youre stand site as this will run the deer out of the area for some time

Comment

The gut pile will attract scavengers and predators that will spook the deer away. I always drag the whole deer to a place where I can drive a vehicle and load up and take it back to camp to do the cleaning. I'm fortunate to have access to these facilities and also a place to dispose of the offal. If the terrain between the kill site and the road involves to much vertical surface, I'll gut him before I drag him out and hunt somewhere else for a few days.

Comment

after living in grizzly bear country in the rockies I still drag my deer to an area where I can see a ways.I dont think Ive heard of an eastern black bear attacking a hunter while gutting a deer, but old habits die hard.

Comment

Deer do not know what mortality is, as in they don't know what a gut pile is or where it came from. But like pineywoods said it will bring in the yotes and bears and that will definately scare off the deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
            by Scott123
            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
            Yesterday, 11:23 PM
          • Blade Stain
            by jhjimbo
            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
            Yesterday, 11:40 AM
          • Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X