Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you determine the best time to move in a treestand archery hunting when a deer is approaching? At times I hardly move an

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you determine the best time to move in a treestand archery hunting when a deer is approaching? At times I hardly move an

How do you determine the best time to move in a treestand archery hunting when a deer is approaching? At times I hardly move and spook them and other times I can stand, get my bow and get ready and they never see me.

Either wait for the deer to look away or to put his head down to feed or put his head behind a tree or if you have leaves or cover in front or to the side or wherever the deer is wait for him to get behind that brush.

Comment

I always try and judge if they are walking fast, the noise level in the woods, mature or juvenile deer, etc. All those play into when I'll pull the bow back. The fact that you're spooking some is all part of hunting, you shoot some and you spook some.

Comment

little more.... whenever I see a deer approaching I always stand when it's safe (noise of a plane overhead, gust of wind, etc.) Even if they're far off I will stand so I won't have to make all the commotion of standing up when they are close. Pulling back the string is the tricky part because you never know when they'll move into that clearing.

Comment

Like Louie says, only move when the deer are looking away or are behind a tree. Deer are hard wired to watch for any movement, you move when u can see a deers eye or eyes, they will bust you.

Comment

If you can see a deer's eyes, he/she can see you, simple as that, even if 100+ yards away. Deer are attuned to pick up abnormal motion - like you standing up. Don't move until the eyes are hidden from view - either when looking away, hidden behind a tree, or head down.

Comment

dont forget that the deer your looking at might not be the only deer looking at you....Ive been busted a couple of times by being too focused on the deer I intended to harvest, and not noticing those sneaky darn does that always seem to come up from behind your stand when you least expect em.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                Yesterday, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
              • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                by Ernie
                I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X