Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a new hunter, hunting for only 4 seasons. I took my first deer last year. My question is, If from my treestand, I sight in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a new hunter, hunting for only 4 seasons. I took my first deer last year. My question is, If from my treestand, I sight in

I am a new hunter, hunting for only 4 seasons. I took my first deer last year. My question is, If from my treestand, I sight in and take the shot at the deer, and I am not sure if the shot is good. Should I always get down and check for blood and other signs, or do I wait for another deer to come by and check later? I have been told both. Being new i want to do what is right.

ethically speaking you owe it to the game your hunting to get out of your stand and search hard for any sign of a hit.Ive seen a black bear run for well over 100 yards before a single drop of blood was found.I assume every shot is a hit and search hard for any sign possible.

Comment

i would never shoot at another animal after i just shot at one i would always go and try to find sign of a hit whtether it be hair or blood.

Comment

I went out opening day yesterday had 2 deer walk in front of my stand but on the other side of a tree no clear shot no shot taken. I refuse to take a questionable shot.

I agree with big jake and taylor1.. you owe it to the animal and yourself.

Two words:
        Responsibility
        Ethics

Comment

Always follow your shot. I learned this lesson the hard way. I took a shot on a running deer and my father in law said he seen it hit way back and it was a clean miss. I went to same spot 3 days later to find my buck who had died in his tracks completely cleaned out by buzzards and yotes. So always follow your shot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X