Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am an avid Deer hunter, and I've heard other hunters say do not stay into the eyes of a whitetail because they will see you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am an avid Deer hunter, and I've heard other hunters say do not stay into the eyes of a whitetail because they will see you.

I am an avid Deer hunter, and I've heard other hunters say do not stay into the eyes of a whitetail because they will see you. Is this true or not.

I have heard that one to. I think it is kind of true. I was told that its the whites of your eyes they pick up and when you blink it changes making them spook. I try to look more out of the corner of my eyes if possible. i bow hunt so if i remember i put my face net over my eyes when i get in to a long stare down

Comment

I have heard that one to. I think it is kind of true. I was told that its the whites of your eyes they pick up and when you blink it changes making them spook. I try to look more out of the corner of my eyes if possible. i bow hunt so if i remember i put my face net over my eyes when i get in to a long stare down

Comment

When a deer is staring right at you, he's already suspicious of something, so any blink or shift of your eye can be a giveaway. I've had it happen to me several times.

When you look straight at a deer, it knows it has been spotted and this is its cue to bolt. On numerous occasions I've been walking and seen deer in the woods watching me. As long as I don't turn my head, they'll remain motionless, but look straight at them and they're gone----naturally this is during the off season.

Comment

I've had the same experiences as piney. It's never all one way or the other...but I've had a number of times when I've had a deer checking me out, and if I just slowly turn my head away or "act" like I'm not interested in them, or even slowly walk the other way if I'm already moving...they feel you're less of a threat. Just like how hikers can barge through the woods chatting and a deer will just watch them go...no perceived threat, but a stalking hunter gives the vibe of just that...a predator. And who wants to stick around when a predator is staring at you?

Comment

As long as you don't blink and move, they don't what or who you are. You have to wait them out and then they turn away and give you a double take and see if you move positions after the first time they saw you. I watch a deer look right at me as she was putting her head down and eat and eye ball me all times. She got bored and moved out with out understanding a thing.

Comment

Its not only your eyes there looking for its your face outline.

Comment

All I can say is that that's happened to me a number of times and I instinctively squint my eyes in an effort to hide them. Can't say if it works or not but the thought runs through my head every time it happens.

Comment

Is it so crazy an idea to suppose that an animal who is preyed upon should develop a sixth sense when danger is imminent. Call it spooked or whatever, who has not had an experience in which they avoid a dangerous situation based on a gut feeling, an uneasiness that demands a response. Many of us owe our lives to reacting instinctively yet we are far removed from the world of predator and prey in which the whitetail lives. His senses and ability to discern danger are exercised constantly while ours have been dulled. Every piece of technology which we come to rely upon removes us from a real sense of the movement of the woods. It may take hours but the stand hunter can shed the hustle and noisy tempo of city life get in touch with the woods below his stand. That same hunter has an instant of awareness that is not from something he hears or sees, it is another sensation all together that announces a deer is approaching the stand. That is the Zen of hunting and whatever you wish to call it, it is the feeling that keeps hunters returning to their stand year after year. Surely a deer is better equipped to hone such a skill than us.
                  I do not stare at big whitetails for any length of time during the stalk and it is not because I am worried about them seeing my eyes.

Comment

that is crazy I do the same exact thing not looking at the deer I even dont try and think about them on a stock. Tell you trut I'm a spirtrul human and I get into a prayer to help me not send off vibes or sometimes I wonder when we are in the Zen time in hunting as you describe we send off a diffrent scent.

Comment

Dropjhook,
                      I will hunt up a book written by a English officer who hunted extensively in India in the early 1900's and pass it along.. When pressed by friends to give up the secrets of his success that had gained him a reputation as a premier hunter of that period, he expressed ideas similar to your own. He disciplined himself not to approach the upcoming hunt with any ideas of a kill or harm to be done-- not just during the hunt but in advance of the hunt! He honed that discipline by deliberately passing up opportunities during his hunts. Brother we aren't talking deer, we are talking eye ball to eye ball with tigers and leopards. He would inform clients who brought a camera along to photograph the upcoming kill that they cut the chances of making that kill dramatically by framing that idea in their heads and entering the jungle as a would be killer. Jim Corbett, the great hunter of man eating tigers approached the hunt with a sense of calm and carrying a great respect and love for these great predators regardless of what villains they may have become. Perhaps that accounts for the uncanny success of these individuals.

Comment

A quick note regarding my lack of participation in the forum recently. My wife has had the house renovated...renovating what you ask? Everything!! In hunting terms I would say renovations are like killing the hydra from Greek mythology..the hydra was a nine headed serpent that grew back a head every time you cut one off. You no sooner shoot one down and another one raises its head. I tried so hard to kill that creature over the past two months that all else fell into disorder. Now that I am living in 'Better Homes and Gardens' I will probably have to change in the garage when I come home from my goose hunt this weekend. Anyway Hello again to Bo and the regular contributors.
                        Kody

Comment

Kody, I will tell you what I pray for when I'm in the stock. I pray for the man above to tell the deer thank you for letting me see him tell the animal I'm not here to murder I'm here to feed my people and in order to do that he must leave his body behind. Father tell the animal if the rolls are reversed in the next life our in heaven where ever we meet again It would be a honor and my word for me to leave my body behind for his famliy to eat if he so chooses."travel well" my friend

Comment

kody,
                            Sounds like a very good book. I think our better halfs are here to smooth out the ruff edges in our lifes. I noticed once women get in the mode of fixing there house up sometimes the changes dont stop. Good luck out there this year!!

Comment

Dropjhook, Here are several books that may interest you. These fellows were hunters in an era and in a place so rich in game and danger you can't help but be envious. Jungle Trails In Northern India by John Hewett; Tiger and other Game by Colonel A. E. Stewart; In the Grip of the Jungle by George Hogan Knowles
                              In regard to your prayers when hunting, if each of us could muster such reverence and respect for nature the anti hunting crowd would not have a leg to stand on. Thanks, you are a good man Dropjhook, I believe I could ride your shirt tail into heaven.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                Today, 10:12 PM
                              • Now That's Service
                                by jhjimbo
                                Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                                Today, 07:57 PM
                              • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X