Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I live in an area filled with a farmland rich in turkey and deer. What successful methods have you guys had in contacting/appro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I live in an area filled with a farmland rich in turkey and deer. What successful methods have you guys had in contacting/appro

I live in an area filled with a farmland rich in turkey and deer. What successful methods have you guys had in contacting/approaching landowners to obtain permission to hunt? I'm a respectful, safe hunter...I just don't know how to break the ice or come off like a door to door salesman right off the bat.

Well my experience has always been pretty good. In South Dakota, a great majority of farmers are very nice people. There's a few that get sick of hunters and can be a little pissy about being asked but for the most part they're good about it. Obviously if some farmer has a hundred "No Hunting" signs plastered all around his property, he's probably not going to say yes.. Don't be surprised if a lot of them turn you down even though they are nice about it. Areas with plenty of game like that have guys who make deals with farmers to come back every year. Just a posibility. It never hurts to ask though.. I know where you're coming from and it feels a bit awkward at first but it's just another part of being a hunter.

Comment

I agree with SD, your most likely gonna get shot down by a good amount of landowners, but it never hurts to try.
      I've been keeping my "Resume and References" of landowner friend's names and phone numbers with me when I go out searching for new farm lands.You would be surprised how many farmers know each other, even though they may be over 100 miles apart.Sometimes it doesnt hurt to drop a few friendly names.
      And you could offer to roll up your sleeves and help with any labour in exchange for permission to use their lands also.

Comment

it has been my expierience that most farmers are receptive If you get on be sure to send them a thank you note A christmas card woulnt hurt Also if sucessfull getting game stop back at farm offer owner part of the take I wish you good luck sir

Comment

Both bigjake and Eugene made excellent suggestions. Farmers do know a large portion of the farmers within pretty good radius of themselves. Also Eugene suggesting bringing some of your kill back to the farmer with a thank you is a HUGE deal. Farmers respect that and it will pay off with that farmer and many of his neighbors because they'll talk. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks to all, those are some great suggestions. Have you found the best way to approach someone is knock on their door? Or leave a "flier" in the mailbox? Etc.?

Comment

definitely knock on thier door. but dont bother them if they are milking. Working thier fields etc. Y ou should start cultivating relationships in the spring or summer. also if you meet with resistance at first say thank you note thier address come back a different time.most of all be respectful if get on the land dont bring anybody with you wouldnt hurt to just drop in to say hi once in a while at non hunting times again good luck

Comment

The absolute best way to approach a farmer is face to face. They are hard workin folks and typically don't mind people asking. It is the guys poaching game off their land that they can't stand.

The next question is how do I find which land belongs to which landowner? Go to your county assessors website or office and print off a map with current landowners on the map. Now you are armed with some vital information. Plus you will be able to order the properties from must have to I just want a spot.

When approaching these guys don't come off smug or pushy. Let them know a little about yourself and why you asked for the time. Maybe throw in that it is bow only and make sure they have a detailed description of how many people will be hunting and always insist that you will give them plenty of notice before you hunt the property.

I recently had success with this method when the landowner was reluctant to let anyone else on the property. Just be open and honest for your best shot at some great land prospects.

Comment

it's a numbers game...the more you ask the better your chances get. i went a step further and put an ad in the local newspaper; an older lady called me back and now i have permission on 50 acres...not much, but it's a start.

Comment

Asking permission can be scary, but once you knock on the door you just have to be yourself. One idea is to approach the landowners and ask about "doe" hunting only, many farmers have children and relatives who hunt and they like to keep the nice bucks for them, but if you get in the door with the doe hunting eventually it could bloom into buck hunting also. The last idea is to take a female with you when you go ask, if you are married throw out the idea the you and your wife hunt together. It is harder for landowners to say no to women than men. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                    • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                      by Ernie
                      I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                      hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                      10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X