Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

some oldtimers around here in pa. dutch country of the southeastern part of the state,if you chewed poison ivy leaves and swollo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some oldtimers around here in pa. dutch country of the southeastern part of the state,if you chewed poison ivy leaves and swollo

some oldtimers around here in pa. dutch country of the southeastern part of the state,if you chewed poison ivy leaves and swollowed them while having the rash you would never get it again. what do you say.

I would not do it. I speak as a retired ER nurse.You probably wouldn't have another rash if you did that. A rash like that can mean your body has been sensitized and you are having an antibody antigen response. This can escalate to a true anaphyllactic event. Those can be fatal if there is no emergency medical treatment at hand. By the time you realized how bad it was and what was going on, you could be a case for the Medical Examiner's office. May not happen, but it could. It's kinda like playing on the highway at night, you might not get hurt, but common sense should tell you, probably not a good idea.

Comment

thats a perfect example of you should only take advice from certin people in life I'm with Bo not because of my med. backround but from my 30 years of common sense.

Comment

Generally speaking I never put anything near my mouth that has the word "poison" attached to it.

Comment

If it were me I'd pick some and rub it on the old timer who told you that and when they get the rash let them chew some & swallow it, then report back to us on the results. Bet that will stop that folk lore from being spread any further.

Comment

If you would "swallow" that story, I have some Enron stock I'll sell you at a reasonable rate.

Comment

i have an uncle who tried that very thing, and wound up in the hospital due to having the allergic reaction happen internally.

Comment

File this one away under Bad Advice. Bo's right--don't do it.

Comment

Sounds like the chances are pretty good that once you eat it you will never get it again ... or anything else for that matter.

Comment

I don't know about that one.... sounds like a bad idea to me. They don't call it POISON ivy for nothing.

Comment

BAD IDEA

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget