Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting with a muzzleloader in southeast mn, is a 300 grain sabot to big? Will use 150 grains of powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting with a muzzleloader in southeast mn, is a 300 grain sabot to big? Will use 150 grains of powder

Hunting with a muzzleloader in southeast mn, is a 300 grain sabot to big? Will use 150 grains of powder

You're going to be punching a pretty good hole with a 300gr bullet - I'm guessing that's in at least a .50 caliber? You may or may not get any expansion on the trip through the ribcage depending on which flavor of sabot you're using, and I'm of the opinion that the leakier you can make your intended quarry, the better. At the same time, if your frontstuffer makes your eyes water and your nose run when you touch one off, it may be worth trying a bit more reduced load.

Comment

I'm probably not the best person to answer this, being from the opposite corner of our great country where the big game isn't quite as big, but that sounds like a pretty big load to me.

Comment

I shoot 250 grain Thompson Center Shockwaves with 100 grains of Triple Seven Pellets from a .50 caliber muzzleloader. I used to shoot 150 grains of Triple Seven but 100 grains shoots tighter groups (like .5 inch at 100 yds) and I am comfortable with 250 yards on whitetails. I would tend to think that 300 grains would not shoot as straight and drop more but depending what your hunt might be necessary.

Comment

150 grains of powder is to much! yeah the newer loaders are rated to handle the blast of that much powder but the issue you get into in uneven burning or the lack there of! making you believe you rifle is inacurate. I shoot barnes 280 grain x bullets and 120 grains of loose powder. Last fall 309 yd heart shot on a 160" whitetail!

Comment

I use 265 grain 44 cal Hornady .430 44 CAL 265 GR FP item #4300 with a Thompson Center Magnum Sabot and 150 grains of 777 with nail driving accuracy. I'm going to try the .430 44 CAL 265 GR FTX (for 444 Marlin) item #4305 this year. 300 grain is too heavy!

Comment

I use 240 Gr. Hornady XTP with 100 gr. of triple seven and took a big mature doe at 75 yards, looked like someone pulled the rug out from under her. Shooting 1-1/2" groups at 150 yards.

Comment

Thanks to all who answred my question. Have gone to a 250 ornady and 110 grains of triple seven. Working great. Thanks again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                  by Scott123
                  Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                  Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                • Blade Stain
                  by jhjimbo
                  Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                  Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                • Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X