Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im looking for some good scouting tips. Time of day? Entering the woods? Spotlights? Etc. Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im looking for some good scouting tips. Time of day? Entering the woods? Spotlights? Etc. Thanks!

Im looking for some good scouting tips. Time of day? Entering the woods? Spotlights? Etc. Thanks!

I like first light myself but last light will get you some action too. Glass,Glass,Glass is the main thing becuse you dont want to start running around to much in the area you are hunting because I notice the deer will change patterns when pressure starts up towards fall. Happy hunting & post us the big boy you get this year.

Comment

Find the food sources. Ask your neighbors or look over their fence,are they growing crops,if so what?

Look for heavily worn trails leading in and out of the food sources. Find the water! Where in creek beds are the bucks drinking? Where are the ponds on your property,the adjacent property? How are the deer getting to the water and what time? Usually deer will be close to a water supply for the evening browse,or midday,depending on the weather,drought and etc.

In my many years of chasing particular big bucks,I've found out that they will be bunked down one-tenth,to one-third down the ridge of a ridge that points to a rising morning son. The ridge will point towards the east,and the bunking area will be on the north side.

Why? This area will receive some of the morning sun,but,about ten-thirty this area will not be directly in the path of the sun,and any moisture, will still be on the ground allowing the deer to be cool most of the day.

If you do decide to walk/stalk the area for scouting,do so at a steady pace,stopping frequently and using the terrain or trees to hide behind.
      *Remember,you can never walk/stalk/scout too slow. A snail's pace is more desireable,and keep the wind in your face,even at an angle.

Take binoculars and look for the largest acorns,preferrably white oak,and see how big they are in your region. The larger ones will almost be the ones to hit the ground first,so set-up a stand or blind in this area.

If you can glass large areas,do so as dropj,suggested. If you scout early morning, be sure to get in the woods well before day light, as the deer will be less spooked.

Hope this is somewhat helpful,as you didn't mention from what part of the country you reside and hunt in ...Best of Luck!

Comment

Spotlights could be against the law even for scouting deer---I would check your local game laws and see if this is a legal activity

Comment

it depends on the state spotlights are illegal in ohio. and as for scouting trail cams are a good way to go but they are kind of expensive it really comes down to putting in the hours glassing and sneaking into the spots that you would like to hunt

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            Yesterday, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
          • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
            by Ernie
            I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
            hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
            10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X