Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was hoping to tan any deer hides I get this fall, but have never used any of the commercial kits. Unfortunately, I live in th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was hoping to tan any deer hides I get this fall, but have never used any of the commercial kits. Unfortunately, I live in th

I was hoping to tan any deer hides I get this fall, but have never used any of the commercial kits. Unfortunately, I live in the city where I don't have access to an area to lay a hide out, outside. I have access to my folks place with lots of space, but can't make it over daily. So for anyone who has tanned a hide...is the smell (from chemicals or hide) something my wife won't boot me out of the basement for? Is it something I can do in a day or revisit in a week, or does it need daily/semidaily attention? Thanks a lot.

just click on the link but i wouldnent use in basement!
    http://www.taxidermy.com/instructions/krowtann.html

Comment

You can always try brain tanning. It will take some work but there are sites to get you started. Every deer has just enough brains to tan his own hide.
      http://www.braintan.com/articles/furs/george1.html
      http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=brain+tanning&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=zp2JSsXJJ4ioMK2ykdwL&sa=X&oi=video_result_gro up&ct=title&resnum=4#
      If these don't help just do a search on brain tanning.
      The good points are
      #1 It is easily available every animal has a brain.
      #2 No harsh chemicals that can create a disposal problem or that awful chemical smell, no fumes, etc.

Comment

Id take it to a taxidermist, most likely they would do a much better job than any at home kit could.

Comment

I don't know Bo...I know some liberals that it could be debated on whether they have a brain or not.

Thanks all for the tips!

Comment

WVOtter, I know that liberals have no brains,I thought everyone knew that. Also their skin is too thin to be usable for tanning. You sure couldn't make any item of clothing out of them, let alone a fanny pack or holster, belt, whatever.
            I was thinking strictly of deer hides in this instance, I know for sure that a deer has enough brains to tan its own hide. And deerskin can be used to make a lot of useful stuff. ;-)

Comment

Yeah, I've been interested in brain tanning, although very intimidated, as any use I get out of a hide would be for primitive rendezvous events, where having an item(s) I've made from traditionally tanned hides would be a nice feather in the cap.

Comment

I would stay away from brain tanning. In some areas whitetail have diseases like CWD. The prions are in the animals brain, lymph nodes and spinal column. So far there is no evidence it crosses the species barrier to humans. However, in WI there was a case of 5 people who ate deer brains at the same wildlife dinner contracted Jakob-Creutzfeldt disease. This is very rare disease always fatal and the cause is under investigation. Kind of the human form of chronic wasting disease.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget