Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

While scouting/glassing this year I have continously seen the same three deer feeding together. They are an adult doe, spike bu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While scouting/glassing this year I have continously seen the same three deer feeding together. They are an adult doe, spike bu

While scouting/glassing this year I have continously seen the same three deer feeding together. They are an adult doe, spike buck, and a young doe. The adult doe never has had fawns with her. I am wondering if possibly she was never breed last year and still has last years fawns with her?

This is probably the case as does will eventually ditch the previous year's offspring to continue the cycle of raising their newborn.The young deer (spike buck and doe) are usually the "most challenged deer in the woods" simply because they have just been kicked out of the family unit and depend upon their own instincts for survival with no maternal help.One of three possibilities with the maternal doe would explain the current situation---reproductive issues that prevent the doe from becoming bred-----loss of the unborn during term---or perhaps the fawn(s) were born dead or perished early in life and the doe has reunited with the previous offspring.

Comment

This is probably the case as does will eventually ditch the previous year's offspring to continue the cycle of raising their newborn.The young deer (spike buck and doe) are usually the "most challenged deer in the woods" simply because they have just been kicked out of the family unit and depend upon their own instincts for survival with no maternal help.One of three possibilities with the maternal doe would explain the current situation---reproductive issues that prevent the doe from becoming bred-----loss of the unborn during term---or perhaps the fawn(s) were born dead or perished early in life and the doe has reunited with the previous offspring.

Comment

maybe she has fawns that she has sheltered until she returns .If u believe she's barren take her out of the herd..

Comment

it is verry possible that she is barren if so as stated above put her in the freezer, being this late she could have also kicked off (weened) the fawn and be trying to fatten back up...

Comment

I'd agree that she's probably with last year's fawns, but the cause of this year's missing fawns is not as likely her infertility as it is a coyote or three picking off an easy meal this spring shortly after they dropped - unless you had a hard winter, in which case she may have aborted the fawns spontaneously. In any case, you can certainly thin the herd without having to feel guilty about orphaning a young fawn if you continue to see her without into bow/gun season when this year's fawns would become more mobile and will stay by her side instead of hiding in the thick stuff.

Comment

It is very possible that last years fawns will still hang around her. Usually they leave when the mom kicks them out to make room for the new fawns.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                by Scott123
                Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                Yesterday, 11:23 PM
              • Blade Stain
                by jhjimbo
                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                Yesterday, 11:40 AM
              • Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X