X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday music?

Why not.

Why not, indeed.
    Last edited by franchi20; 02-13-2022, 02:39 PM. Reason: Changed to a better video.

Comment

Can't believe I haven't put up any of this. An influence on Dylan.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post
        Can't believe I haven't put up any of this. An influence on Dylan.
        Boy, haven't heard that one in a long time. It was one of my favorites to perform at "The Opry".
        Kinda reminds me of the old hootenanny songs of "yore"! 😀

Comment

Now that football season is over it’s time to bring on baseball (and softball). School ball practice starts in a few weeks and I’m ready to chase after the kids for a coupe months.

Comment

Coupe months is right. I wish it were time to get out the Coupe.

Comment

Nobody wants to join in? So here's another John Prine song.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I forgive him entirely for trying to get "fuelie heads on a 396..."
                    Last edited by Amflyer; 02-15-2022, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

I forgive him entirely for trying to get "fuelie heads on a 396..."
                      Dude, you are a Renaissance man extraordinaire. Gear head too huh? Been a long time since I heard someone reference the old double humps.

So what kind of hot rod we talking about mister? Pics or it didn’t happen, lol!

Comment

The car in the song?

"I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a three-ninety-six
                        Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor"

My first car was a 1968 Firebird. 400 small block, 400 turbo-hydramatic with a shift kit. I put headers and glass-packs on it, cheezy sheep skin seat covers, did all the body work (poorly) and had the local shop spray it for me. I picked a color I called candy apple, but was really just maroon. Such a piece, really. I loved it. Of course I wished I still had it.

Moved onto others, 68 Chevy Biscayne, 72 LeMans. Everyone had a hot car back then.

Prob a midlife crisis for sure, but man, I can still see, hear and smell that Firebird! Still chase that feeling with other,, modern cars, but what I really want is that old Pancho-powered, leaded-burnin', Night Ranger cassette-playin' POS!

Comment

Obviously the car in the song couldn’t exist, you aren’t bolting small block heads onto a big block engine.

Back in my racing days we’d always be on the lookout for double hump 2.02 fuelie heads and 350 blocks with the 3970010 code, most of those were 4 bolt mains. The few two bolts with that number were stronger, something about the nickel content or something. They were coveted because you could have them converted to angled four bolts. I had one that ended up in a pickup, put together with some other race engine cast off parts.

A cousin had a 67 Lemans with a power glide transmission, cool car.

My first was a ‘68 Rambler American, no hot rod by any means but I lifted the rear, had it painted and put BF Goodrich Belted T/A’s on it with some decent hubcaps. It ended up looking pretty slick for a wannabe. If I had it back it would have a small block Chevy dropped under the hood😎.

My second and third cars were ‘78 & ‘79 Pontiac Grand Prix’s that shared a 350 Pontiac engine out of a ‘72 Tempest. Pre smog emission motor. Dropped it in the ‘78 stock then wrecked the front end hitting the guardrails in a snowstorm. Found the ‘79 for sale with a bad motor thinking I’d swap the noses but it was a nicer equipped car so pulled the 350 out of the ‘78. This time I stuck a Crane cam and lifters in it topped with an Edelbrock intake and Holley 650 4 barrel. Woke that motor up by letting it breath better. Wouldn’t win many races at the drag strip but was a total sleeper on the street.

The dream isn’t over, my wife’s former boss met us at one of the Kid’s ballgames last spring showing up in his new to him 2010 Vette. She commented afterwards that when the kids were out of the house we might have to look for something comparable. Low mileage, 30+ mpg highway and under $20K. Works for me.

Comment

All this talk about Pontiacs. I put a 350 and 350TH from a 70 LeMans into a 51 Chevy pickup. Changed the stock rearend with enclosed drive shaft to one from a 55 Chevy and replaced the front hubs with ones from a 54 Chevy to have 5 bolt pattern all around.

Comment

First cars!?
                              1) 1952 DeSoto! - threw a rod
                              2) 1960 Ford Fairlane - pop wanted the engine for his pickup
                              3) 1963 Chevy Impala 327 w/3 on the tree - had already been rode hard when I got it

From there on, auto ownership is kind of a blur.....

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun show today
                                by fitch270
                                Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                                08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                              • Beater .44 mag
                                by CD2
                                My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                                08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                              • Eatin ‘chuck
                                by dewman
                                Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                                08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                              • Parallax adj
                                by CD2
                                Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                                08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                              • TriggerTech installed
                                by fitch270
                                First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                                08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X