A thought on hunting with disabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thought on hunting with disabilities

Someone asked me last night, " How do you do all the hunting that you do if you are 100% disabled?"
    Background: After my farm accident some years back I developed all 3 arthritis. I have hundreds of fissures (cracks) throughout my body. My knees, elbows, ankle/heels, shoulders, and neck/back are all in need of surgery but because of the cracks and constant chipping of my bones, no surgeon will touch me. Ever. My life is a series of needle "procedures" , pain and anti-inflammatory drugs dubbed "pain management ". After less than 2 full days of hunting I can't drive and can barely get around the house with a cane. I have to keep pushing my hands flat on the table to open up my fingers as they keep balling up and locking tight. But I will bounce back by this weekend and I will hunt again. Not from my truck though I'm legally allowed to do, but from my "palace in the sky". The cold morning will have me on a full body ache until the suns gets up enough to heat the popup.
    Why do I do that? You ask.
    Because I'm a hunter,it's who I am.
    A little venting from a tired and sore deer hunter. Stay safe, aim small

A man has got to have priorities and hunting is way up there. It's easier if the woman in your life understands and accepts. Keep on trucking dewman as much as you can. Chew the goodie right out of it and ride it till it breaks

Comment

This morning while getting ready to start our day a coworker and I were both lamenting being in our 50’s and still having to grind it out.

Sometimes a little venting is a good thing, it lightens the load a bit to help you keep pushing.

Sometimes listening to someone else vent makes you realize you don’t have it near as bad as you think you do. This would be me right now, thank you Dewman for the kick in the rear.

Comment

Yes sir!
        Been there!
        Done that!
        ....and all I got was a lousy tee shirt! LOL!

My only edge on you, dewman, is they are willing to do surgery.
        Prosthetic left hip, prosthetic right shoulder and an a right ankle full of pins that look like 4" lag screws!
        Left elbow that's "bone on bone" and can't be surgically improved without joint replacement.
        My hands cramp up into balls and I have to physically force my fists open.
        The last time I saw the surgeon who rebuilt my hip, he looked at the x-ray and asked if I was in pain.
        "No, why?" I asked.
        The x-ray showed my spine from the last rib down to just above my knees.
        "Every joint on this x-ray has arthritis. Especially your lower back."

I hunt for the same reasons.
        It's what I am.
        It's what I do.
        Hunting makes me feel alive.
        It gives me purpose.
        Pain and disabilities be damned.

Comment

Thanks guys. I feel better already. Was debating posting this but now I'm glad I did. A couple more things to the +.
          I don't have high cholesterol
          I don't have high blood pressure
          I am not diabetic.
          When I go in for my procedures I always see others in far worse shape. Of course I wonder if I'm looking at my future but then I see so many of them alone or worse, begging a loved one to take them or pick them up. A misery I do not have.
          I am blessed. And by golly I got a buck opening day again!

Comment

Weather change here. Arthritis and impinged shoulder (PT has helped some but not enough)......was rough the night before the gun opener.
            Wasnt too bad today but I figured w 20 mph winds better to stay home. Cuz went, said wind was 5 mph. Only saw 2 small slicks.

So not a bad call.

Take some Excedrin migraine as its off to work in a few. PT this week, hunt this weekend.

Do what ya gotta do and get out and have some fun

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
              Thanks guys. I feel better already. Was debating posting this but now I'm glad I did. A couple more things to the +.
              I am not diabetic.
              When I go in for my procedures I always see others in far worse shape. Of course I wonder if I'm looking at my future but then I see so many of them alone or worse, begging a loved one to take them or pick them up. A misery I do not have.
              There's the reason to cultivate a May - December girlfriend so one day there'll be someone to haul my old ass to the doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

There's the reason to cultivate a May - December girlfriend so one day there'll be someone to haul my old ass to the doctor.
                I went all in with a young bride. So far so good.

Comment

First off, dewman!
                  I can do anything today I could 50 years ago, it just takes twice as long! LOL!
                  Worked with a guy once who had an excuse for everything. Our lead man finally told him, "Quit telling me why you can't and start figuring out how you can!"
                  I kinda took that to heart.

If I hit a snag, I back up and start working on a "work around" to get the job done.

I've been very fortunate that wife and family have always been "right there" for me.
                  Surgeries, rehabs, wheel chairs, walkers, showers. All taking time and patience.
                  Dealing with a grumpy, hurting old sorehead. Meals, snacks, meds, etc, etc...
                  All taken in stride.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    First off, dewman!
                    I can do anything today I could 50 years ago, it just takes twice as long! LOL!
                    Worked with a guy once who had an excuse for everything. Our lead man finally told him, "Quit telling me why you can't and start figuring out how you can!"
                    I kinda took that to heart.

If I hit a snag, I back up and start working on a "work around" to get the job done.

I've been very fortunate that wife and family have always been "right there" for me.
                    Surgeries, rehabs, wheel chairs, walkers, showers. All taking time and patience.
                    Dealing with a grumpy, hurting old sorehead. Meals, snacks, meds, etc, etc...
                    All taken in stride.
                    Dewman, I saw a news report of a man who had no hands or legs that was in the lawn mowing business. Drove his van to the jobs. Honest to God it was amazing how he managed. All by himself. Makes my aches and pains miniscule.

Comment

Appendix deal, drove myself to hospital. Would have driven myself home after surgery, but fam showed up. I did not call them.

Last ER visit i let somebody take me, again, Id rather have gone myself. But people were at home and up and the hospital is literally 2 miles down the road.

I go to PT and all.doctor stuff by myself.
                      Figure im gonna be alone eventually so better just get used to doing stuff myself now.

Er....like I have the last 15 yrs.

Self reliance.

Comment

My daughter w health issues once again mentioned a crossbow. Shes on diff med and of that helps she might give it a go next yr.

Weather changes and cold temps make her miserable and she mostly lays in bed. Which then screws up her sleep cycle.

Trying something different and she seems to be getting normal pattern again.

Wont hunt this yr. Too cold and spot is crap.

But an X bow, ground blind and heater.....heck yeah if she wants to go next yr Ill kit her up.

Comment

"... I go to PT and all.doctor stuff by myself. ..."

Kinda tough with right foot in a cast and a standard transmission!
                          Same deal with right arm in a sling! LOL!

Left hip implant wasn't too bad out on the highway with my old diesel. In town, floating gears can be problematic, especially if you can't get rpm's just right

Comment

I got into a stand yesterday, was not easy, nor hard). Getting down was sketchy w bad shoulder and also a messed up knee (something happened at work Thursday). It was bad sore TH night but popped later and was able to sleep.
                            Touchy but did work/stuff...........til today.

Woke up and its swollen and sore. WTH?

Looks like ground hunting maybe after rain stops.

Steps in a tree, climbing, then sitting in 20 plus MPH wind for 3 hrs.......was too rough on it.

Ladder to a stand, or a ladder stand itself...........seems easier to do w my shoulder, Might be best for knee too.
                            Shoulder doc Wed.

See if I need a knife. Have him check knee while there. Maybe just a shot and get me going w the knee.
                            Last edited by CD2; 11-21-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                              I am not diabetic.
                              Keep moving as much as you can. I recently tore a rotator cuff and the Dr. said keep using it as long as it does not hurt. If you immobilize it you probably would get arthritis in it. Watch these guys...
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJTpkos11JY

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget