X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CD2
    replied
    Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze.
    Got some Trooper Ale...........but will make run to big city to buy more this week.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

ANNDDD.......there is a sense of satisfaction of making your own (whatever) that store bought just doesn't bring.
    That point I will wholeheartedly concede.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    You guys must all have man buns & wear skinny jeans.🤦🏻‍♂️🤔🙄. Buy you some Michelob Ultra or light, sit back and get comfortable. As my wife often tells me, I love ya for who you are, not what you do😉
    LMBO! Old farts don't do "man bun" thingie!
    Don't do beer. Gout tendency.
    "Skinny jeans"? There is a (big) reason I don't post personal pictures! 😉!

Wha'cha got here is a hardheaded old tightwad fart who likes doing his own "thang"! LOL! Keeps me busy!
    ANNDDD.......there is a sense of satisfaction of making your own (whatever) that store bought just doesn't bring.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    You guys must all have man buns & wear skinny jeans.🤦🏻‍♂️🤔🙄. Buy you some Michelob Ultra or light, sit back and get comfortable. As my wife often tells me, I love ya for who you are, not what you do😉

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    My "primary fermenter" is pretty much what amflyer posted. A 6 gallon, food grade, air tight plastic bucket and an airlock.

Plus, siphons, long handled spoons, butchers twine, hygrometers, must bags, test tubes and an apothecary store collection of chemicals! 😃

Then I have corks, bottles, corker and corking stand, etc, etc.

...but a decent bottle of red wine is up near $10 a bottle. So I just stuck +/- $170 in my 'fridge!

I got down to about 3/4 of a gallon when I ran out of corks. I poured the remainder into a 1 gallon demijohn and presented it to a good neighbor.
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 08-10-2021, 09:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    I’ll check into that.

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Screenshot_20210809-220904_Chrome~2.jpg Screenshot_20210809-221023_Chrome~2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    How ‘bout some pics guys?

‘flyer, how much equipment is needed for cider? That’s something I might be interested in.
    Unfortunately, I'm in a down period for brewing, so no pics.

Making a still cider (uncarbonated) is as easy as getting a clean bucket with an airlock (gas goes out, but not in), some bottles and some ingredients. Making carbonated cider is harder.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    FB, if you didn't have any preservatives in whatever form you used for blackberries, make a yeast starter and get it going hard, then pitch it into the batch.

Beer and cider-maker here, since you asked.
    Grow my own blackberries. I'm still working on building up my "vineyard". I guess that's what you call it? LOL!
    My harvest should have been about 20 pounds this year, but that hard, two week freeze bit my vines back.
    I did pick about 12 pounds and supplemented with a neighbor who also grows and sells Kiowa berries.
    At brew time, I had 25.5 pounds of berries. Twenty pounds for a 5 gallon batch and bought a clamshell of berries to make 6 pounds for a 1.5 gallon batch.
    The 1.5 gallon batch is stuck. The yeast nutrient worked a little. If it doesn't pick up, I'll do a yeast starter.
    I'm watching my grapes with "bated breath"! Should have enough Concords to do a 5 gallon batch of grape wine. If not, I'll just have to supplement with either Welch's or some other fruit.

fitch270, it's not that pictures aren't "good", but a 6 gallon glass carboy burping through an air lock ain't just real exciting. It just kinda, well.....sits there! 😴

I guess the most exciting part is about 8 to 10 hours after first pitching the yeast on a new batch!
    About 5 days of listening to the airlock gurgle and dreaming of good things to come is pretty neat.

Watching yeast convert sugar to alcohol is like watching paint dry or grass grow! LOL!

I'd love to do beer, but I'd just have to give it away or throw it out! 😖 I just can't do that! LOL!

Cider? I'll look into that. May be interesting.

The youngest has bee hives and is considering making "mead". Robbed 2 frames from a hive today and got nearly 6 pounds of honey!

Cider, hmmmm.....?

amflyer - thanks for the idea!
    I started with a SG of 1.015. Added sugar (4#) to a SG of 1.06. Gives me a calculated ABV of 16%.
    Fermentation has stopped. SG has been 1.023 for about 3 days now. I need the SG below 1.0. SG of .099 would be super.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    How ‘bout some pics guys?

I know a fella with a still, he makes some very nice flavored liquors. Small scale for his own enjoyment. Once in awhile he’ll bring a few flavors to gatherings for sharing.

‘flyer, how much equipment is needed for cider? That’s something I might be interested in.

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    FB, if you didn't have any preservatives in whatever form you used for blackberries, make a yeast starter and get it going hard, then pitch it into the batch.

Beer and cider-maker here, since you asked.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    amflyer wrote:
    "... what a little homebrewer (like me) can diagnose..."

Now you've piqued MY interest! 😃!
    Wine or beer?
    I just put up 17 bottles of home made blackberry wine! ABV +/- 10%.
    After a bit of back sweetening, we (the wife and me) added a dose of potassium bisulfate, degassed, bottled and refridgerated.
    Right now, I'm battling a stuck fermentation. If I can get this small batch of of blackberry wine to ferment, the ABV should be up around 14%.
    So far, I've racked into a secondary fermenter and added yeast nutrient.

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    This is my post-work Monday tipple:. I feel so hipsterish.

20210809_180455.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Ingredients - Water, barley malt, non-malted cereals, hops
    Non malted grains. Didn't know that. Good beer anywho.

I think I heard that it was a German that went to Mexico and brewed beer, hence the Munich style (one of my faves.)

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    This is what I'll be drinking tonight. Modelo Negra

Negra Modelo, better known as "the cream of the beer", is a Munich-type beer with 5.3º of alcohol that offers a balanced flavor and a delicate aroma of dark malt, caramel and hops.

Today it occupies the first place in sales among dark beers in Mexico. This beer is accompanied by a bright deep amber color, which is adorned with abundant, white and compact foam.

Negra Modelo was introduced in Mexico in 1925 as the dark beer called Modelo, to begin its great tradition. In 2014 it changed its image to a more sophisticated bottle but with the same content.

Ingredients - Water, barley malt, non-malted cereals, hops

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget