Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I haven't been deer hunting since I was a kid in Tennessee and I would like to get back into the sport. I am a soldier stationed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't been deer hunting since I was a kid in Tennessee and I would like to get back into the sport. I am a soldier stationed

I haven't been deer hunting since I was a kid in Tennessee and I would like to get back into the sport. I am a soldier stationed in Colorado and just looking for any info that can help me along. I know I will need a hunter ed class which I plan on taking when I get back from Iraq in August. But after that I am kind of at a loss. Such as gear to buy, rifles to start off with, good areas to hunt, and any tips you can offer a new hunter at all. Thanks

First off I want to thank you for your service. After hunters ed I would learn all about gutting and processing the meat of the animal I was hunting. What I mean is make sure you have a plan on what to do with the animal after you have it down. Like how to gut the animal skin or cape it what meat locker has room for the animal or cut the animal up your self but if your new I dont recommend doing that for some years down the road when you have more exeperience. After all that I would learn where the vitals are on the animal heart & lung.practice,practice,practice with what bow or firarm your going to use at diffrent angles and diffrent distances. I would get a call or 2 practice with those untill I felt good about it. Scouting is pretty much out the ? if your not going to be back untill August the hunting season with be pretty much started. So maybee someone else can help you out on where to hunt... your hunting in Colorado right? Oh yeah before I go hunting is like most things form good habits & you will be hunting many years form bad habits well you know.. safety first! Can you post a photo of you animal this fall on OL for all of use to see? have a good time this fall

Comment

i would check out local hunting/shooting clubs or groups in your area,local guys can give you indepth tips about hunting in your part of the country.

Comment

I will second dropjhook, thank you for your service to our country. As far as the hunter ed class, some states exempt military personnel as they figure who knows more about safe weapons handling than the guys in the military.
        But to be sure, contact your state's controlling authority over wildlife. In Oklahoma, its called the Wildlife Department, Nebraska it's the Game and Parks Commission. So contact them and they can usually give you all the information that you need.
        Again, thanks for your service. My prayer for you is that you will stay safe and be able to return and enjoy many years of hunting.

Comment

All good advice that I will second and third. My son patrolled the Sunni Triangle. I salute you for serving our country and appreciate the excitement you will feel upon your return home to hunt.
          What are you thinking of hunting Copenhagencowboy?
          If your hunt will be in Colorado off the top of my head it could be elk, deer, bear, cougar, antelope, moose, turkey or small game. I have several good books covering these subjects if you would like me to send a book or 2 drop me an emial [email protected] with instructions where to send it.
          Again from the bottom of my heart thank you sir.
          Charlie Elk

Comment

I want to thank all yall for answering my questions. Lots of good info. If Im lucky enough to drop anything this fall I will definetly post a pick for you dropjhook. Once again, thanks for the help.

Comment

As has been said "THANK YOU SIR !" If you contact me at the following e-mail, I'll give you all the help I can. I guided in Colo. for a while.
              [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Thak you 3 times more you are protecting what freedoms we have! When your over there when things are getting ruff remember you have or support 100% & or prayers!!

Comment

You guys have been great. I can tell you how much I appreciate yall lending me a helping hand. It will not be forgotten. I promise. THANKS!!!

Comment

I can't say it any better than the guys before, Thank you!
                    As for a gun I would go with a 30-06 topped with a Leupold scope, with a set up like that you can shoot anything that you want in CO. I would also recommend a good pair of binos and boots.

Comment

id like to third drophook- thank you, now if your just geting started, a 30-06 will suit you wellfor deer, personaly i shoot 150 gr. remington core-lokt ammunition, for smaller game such as coyotes i recomend droping to 125 gr. ,if you plan to go for elk or bear kick it up to 180 gr, top that off with a decent scope, possibly a leupold, but ive always had luck with simmons and tasco, personaly i think SE Oklahoma, just pick out the one you want, personaly i never wear camo, use scent or hunt from a blind, just blue jeans & a dark long sleave shirt, a good area to hunt would be near a wheat feild, in a creek bottom with lots of oaks... if you have any questions contact me at [email protected]

Comment

thanks aaron thats pretty helpful...guess you guys have sold me on the 30-06 now i really cant wait to get home to do some hunting. Thanks Guys!

Comment

Dear copenhagencowboy, to start off let me thank you for your service to the United States overseas in Iraq. I've been to Colorado before and judging by the country out there I would recommend something like a Weatherby Vanguard, Remington 700, or a Kimber Super America. The .270 Winchester, &mm Rem. Mag or .308 calibers would be best for you. All shoot flat and have good power at close and far ranges. My dad has hunted with his Vanguard for 20 years and has never missed. But since this is Colorado we're talking, you might want to go with a Kimber Super America .308 Winchester. My uncle recently bought one, and if you're hiking through the high-country of Colorado that I've seen, I would get the Kimber. It weighs just over four pounds, making it easier to carry through the mountains. As far as gear, just find a good stand and some camo if you're going to wait 'em out, or have a good pair of boots ready if you want to hike it.

Comment

ALright I will definelty take a look at those other rifles before I decide on which one to buy. From what Ive been told there is a gun show going on in denver sometime in sept so I will most likely be heading up there to purchase my rifle. Thanks

Comment

just an added thouht,if u are able pick up a bow seasons are longer and the skills learned will guadruple youre chances during rifle season.the idea is to travel slower and look longer.good luck and welcome to the brotherhood.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X