It’s the Kid’s Prom night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It’s the Kid’s Prom night

It’s Prom night at our school, typically a Junior event but due to the circumstances last year is a combined Junior & Senior deal this year. The last morning to buy tickets the Kid told his mother he wasn’t getting one but that day ended up getting talked into it by a friend and a cousin who’s a senior. He didn’t tell us, I found out a few days later through my sister but forgot to mention it to my wife. Oops. She found out a few days later and was a bit put out from being the last to know. She asked him if he needed to get a suit but he said no, he didn’t want to get dressed up. Then this Wednesday he told her he was stopping at my sister’s to try some of his uncles old ones on. Nothing doing there so he stopped at my Dad’s, had one that would do in a pinch but wasn’t exactly flattering. Ended up we went shopping about an hour away last night and hit it big time, a Kohl’s store had a huge clearance sale. We ended up getting him a tux style jacket and pants, plus two sport coats, another pair of dress pants and a suspender/bow tie combo all for dirt cheap. Talk about lucky. The Kid looks sharp and it’s a good thing he decided to step up, we found out from my sister, who happens to be a teacher, that he ended up on prom court. Not sure if he knew it or not.

We went into town earlier, he and some friends were having dinner at my sister’s, then meeting at the village square for pictures before heading to the school. He doesn’t want us showing up there, but because there’s no after event and he can’t drive after 9pm he needs to be picked up. I think we’re headed in to see the coronations, each class has their own court and my niece is on the senior one as well.

I geeked out back in the day, went stag with a couple other friends and just partied after. Back when a monitored keg wasn’t a big deal for a stay over party with breakfast the next morning.

Anyone got a prom story to share? Within reason.

...and a good time was had by all! 👑

In my day, we had a Jr/Sr Prom every year.
    The Jr's spent the year putting together a prom for the Sr's. It included a meal (cheap, tiny steak) and a record player to dance to.
    In small town 1960's, nobody wore a tux. The girls got to wear gowns. The guys just broke out their best Sunday suit and went for it. LOL!

In pre "free love" America, your date had to be a Jr or Sr.

fitch270, we saved (?) the "kegger" for graduation night!
    How about we save "A" kegger for graduation night!
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 06-19-2021, 11:16 PM.

Comment

I never went to the Prom while in high school. I was a non-conformist for one and didn't have money to burn like that. Also, didn't have a steady at the time.

However, I took my future ex-wife to her Senior Prom during my first year in college (1978). She wore a yellow dress and I had on a rented brown tux. Fun night!

Edit: Found an old photo from that prom. It's only 2.5 x 3.5 inches so the resolution is poor. But here it is after a little Photoshop.

Prom Night 5x7 r.jpg
      Last edited by PigHunter; 06-20-2021, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Avoided the prom.
        ​Got married at a courthouse.
        Hell, proly skip my own funeral.

Never been to HS reunion.

Im good w just huntin and fishin. Never cared for old social customs then, and dont now.

Obviously some places have weathered the test of time better than others and such traditions can be enjoyed.

I had daughters and they all went. Were in student gov, cheer and sports....same as their mom was ......way back in the cave painting days.

Hated HS, but went to a big one.

Just considered it an evil but necessary stepping stone to growing up.

Never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          I never went to the Prom while in high school. I was a non-conformist for one and didn't have money to burn like that. Also, didn't have a steady at the time.

However, I took my future ex-wife to her Senior Prom during my first year in college (1978). She wore a yellow dress and I had on a rented brown tux. Fun night!

Edit: Found an old photo from that prom. It's only 2.5 x 3.5 inches so the resolution is poor. But here it is after a little Photoshop.

Prom Night 5x7 r.jpg
          Well, you made a good looking couple at least.

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
            Avoided the prom.
            ​Got married at a courthouse.
            Hell, proly skip my own funeral.

Never been to HS reunion.

Im good w just huntin and fishin. Never cared for old social customs then, and dont now.

Obviously some places have weathered the test of time better than others and such traditions can be enjoyed.

I had daughters and they all went. Were in student gov, cheer and sports....same as their mom was ......way back in the cave painting days.

Hated HS, but went to a big one.

Just considered it an evil but necessary stepping stone to growing up.

Never looked back.
            I probably would have hated HS if it wasn’t for some good friends. Small town and almost all of us started together. Compared to others in our school my class had more than it’s share of cliques but mostly we all got along, everyone knew their place I guess.

Comment

I grew up in one town. We lived right on the edge of the school district to the south.
              I lived 2.5 miles from PHS and road a bus 10 miles to EHS. EHS kids never came to where I lived and I never went where they lived.
              I went to church and ran around on weekends with kids from PHS.
              I was the only dot in the crowd, 10 miles from home.
              I went to school with total strangers for 11 years!

I went to one school reunion the year after graduation ('70). Haven't been back since.

Comment

Moved away after HS, to the town I was born about a hundred miles away.

Went to local college knowing nobody.

Worked in major corporation w folks from all over the country and around the world.

My ol lady grew up here, and complains how I know everybody.

Gun club, tackle shop, industry......im not really sociable. Kinda have anxiety issues.....am content to be alone, really dont hang out w people. Got my cuz I hunted w as a kid, we work same place. Got a bud from college and another through shooting range.

3 friends after 40 yrs in this town.

I think thats good enough

My ol lady had a crappy childhood and like other psychotics, claims a person she went to school with for 2 yrs in elementary school.....is a " friend ".

Stuck for some reason in the past..... reminds me of the cable TV commercial w Rob Lowe.....peaked in High school. 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Well, you made a good looking couple at least.
                  Thanks. She was cute and we had some good times. Just not compatible as time went on and had a rough divorce. We've long since called a truce and now talk every month or two.

I've been to all the reunions and stay in touch with several of my classmates. Should have been more social back then...

Comment

I avoided Jr and Sr proms like the plague. Working on the latest jalopy in the garage or drinking a beer on the sly sounded like way more fun. Happy Trails

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Burds
                      by Amflyer
                      Still day, overcast, family gone for a visit for the week. So , hopped in the kayak and did some slow paddlin' to get close to birds....wish I bought...
                      07-28-2021, 09:26 PM
                    • Cabela’s / Bass Pro promo
                      by fitch270
                      This came in the mail a few days ago, at first I wasn’t surprised by it as we haven’t purchased much of anything since the merger. We also canceled...
                      07-26-2021, 08:03 PM
                    • Top three. (3)
                      by FirstBubba
                      We all have our favorites.

First favorite!
                      What is your favorite species of fish to eat?
                      1. my favorite is Pacific cod. clean,...
                      07-25-2021, 09:36 PM
                    • Not a crappy crappie dinner
                      by fitch270
                      The plan was to have a fish fry while camping this weekend even if it meant stooping to smallish bluegills and perch. The goal was for the Kid and I to...
                      07-25-2021, 01:36 PM
                    • Right now
                      by fitch270
                      07-24-2021, 10:45 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X