Stream of consciousness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stream of consciousness

I didn’t wake up last night until the dawn broke. The light woke me, and it felt early. I drank two cups of strong coffee with cream, then dressed in hunting clothes. Both the pants and the pullover had been on hunts before. They once had blood on them, but not any more.

I loaded rifles and ammo and wore boots that weren’t waterproof but should have been. I went to the range. It was full of ARA gadgets and people shooting steel. No room for me, no matter what clothes I wore.

So I went to the pond. I saw geese and turtles and rain on the water. Frogs and water drops on green grass. I took pictures of it all, but really captured none of it. That made it even better, knowing that.

My pants got wet. My feet got wet. But you already guessed that, right? I spent 10 minutes trying to catch a good shot of a fat bumblebee on a flower I didn’t know the name of. Birds sang to me, but it was quiet. The air sang too.

It’s six months, almost to the day, before I hunt deer with my son for the first time. That’s something to keep in your front pocket, like two nickels to rub together on a slow day. A good thought to have on a wet Spring day.

I walked back to the truck. Looked at my shots...I didn’t get a good picture of the bumblebee. I got good light on water drops, and the turtle smiled, sitting there on the post. The rifles never made it out of the truck but the pictures proved I was there. Fair trade.

My son opened the door to the garage, as I was unloading the truck.

“Hi Dad,” he said.

I went to put on dry clothes.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    Last edited by Amflyer; 05-17-2021, 10:14 AM.

Found this one crossing gravel last week. Wife has a habitat (aquarium) in her classroom so she will keep him till after summer school. It will help calm the little Comanches she calls kindergarteners. There is always so much to see if we stop thinking everything is right over that next rise yonder. IMG_2410.PNG Nice pics, stay safe

Comment

I picked up the first baby painted turtle of the year off our warm blacktop driveway yesterday. Carried him across the meadow out front over to the farm pond, I’ve mentioned often how the lawn mower is tough on the little fellas.

‘flyer. is your boy going to be on the trigger this fall or just tagging along? Just surprised he wasn’t headed to the range with you. Don’t take that the wrong way, I haven’t done much on my own the past decade or so and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss it. Could be part of why my batteries don’t feel fully charged most days anymore. Won’t be long I won’t have that as an excuse though.

As always, nice writing and pics.

Comment

amflyer, I'm reminded of the musings of Gene Hill or Lewis Grizzard.
        Thought provoking. Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Fitch, I actually thought of that too. He would have gone, I'm sure, but I wanted the time to myself. I'm just more selfish than you are...🙂

As for the deer hunt, plans are for him to have a rifle, but it's not a hard-set thing. I didn't hunt big game until I was 19, so the introduction of it at a "normal" age isn't something I'm familiar with, so I'm just taking it slowly.

Comment

amflyer, I first sat on a stand with my dad at about 3 years of age.
            My memory isn't all that clear, but I started carrying a gun to hunt at about 6 (.410 dove hunting) and deer hunted alone (20 ga with buckshot) on a stand at about 8.
            Point being, we (hunters) are losing newbs because states won't allow kids to hunt until they are no longer interested.
            Let 'em hunt when they're ready. As a parent, you should be able to tell when they're "ready".

Best wishes and good luck with the kids first "hunt".

Comment

Not the first hunt, FB, just the first deer hunt. Killing a big game animal carries a little different weight, in my eyes. If he's not ready, I'm not gonna push. Probably means that he's taking it seriously enough.

Comment

I work alone most of the day, it’s not really me time but I get to do a lot of contemplating just the same. On the flip side the kids keep me motivated to go play now and then rather than take care of stuff that really only needs doing in my mind. It works for me and my wife puts up with a lot of my nonsense because of it.

I wouldn’t sweat the killing part of big game hunting, for most kids I think the feeling of accomplishment likely takes the sting out of that aspect of it, at first anyway. With my two I’ve been more concerned with a bad hit causing an issue. That’s been the main reason behind our league participation, I wanted them to be as proficient as possible before heading into the woods. I think the match aspect of it also adds a bit more pressure than just plinking, which reinforces concentration when it’s for real.

I’ve heard a number of the usual excuses from other guys whose kids had less than ideal results. Recently a guy was telling me how his kid dropped a doe in her tracks last fall. When they got to her she’d been hit in the neck, the kid said he’d aimed behind the shoulder. Guy proceeded to say how he’d sighted the rifle in at 100 yards, the shot was only about 60 and he should have told his son to aim low. I knew better than to say anything other than agreeing that the kid got lucky. At least he didn’t blame the scope being “bumped” like usually gets blamed.

Bring a camera with you when the time comes, just make sure not to let it get in the way of taking in what’s happening as it goes down.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                  Not the first hunt, FB, just the first deer hunt. Killing a big game animal carries a little different weight, in my eyes. If he's not ready, I'm not gonna push. Probably means that he's taking it seriously enough.
                  Great amflyer. No, I don't remember being "pushed", but just a natural progression. Pop and grampa killed deer every year. I just wanted to be like them.
                  It only took about 10 years of sitting on freezing deer stands before I was finally able to connect and claim my first prize.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget