Neighbor painted me a picture!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbor painted me a picture!

My neighbor is a regionally known artist. So over time after regaling him with childhood hunting stories of my younger years in Michigan, South Dakota, Colorado, and here he felt moved to paint me a little something. Kinda cool. IMG_2399.JPG

I really like that, thanks for sharing it. What's the canvas size? Do you plan to frame it?

Comment

I'm not an artist but do appreciate those who have talent. Both PigHuntress and my ex-wife are artists.

My large canoe is the most creative piece I've executed. Here's the before and after:

Camo Canoe Before.jpg Camo Canoe closeup.jpg

Comment

FD4E6205-F480-48A2-AA6C-938E0BFFCAD6.jpeg 5D8C0E05-8724-4A4F-BB77-5500FEEBE199.jpeg

I can very much appreciate that Dewman.

In the past I’d been gifted the usual pictures and cheap nicknacks that came from places like Home Interiors. The typical mass produced import stuff with no real soul. I’ve spent the last few years purging them from the man cave and replacing it with decor that has personal meaning or is actual vintage gear. Of note are the two survey maps of our property that we had professionally matted and framed as well as a signed and numbered print from a now deceased local artist. That one I rescued from the garbage, a previous employer left it tacked to a wall in the office of the business he had sold. I stayed on with the new owners for a couple years but during that time they shut the office down to consolidate with another. The print was wrinkled and the edges tattered but the framing guy did an incredible job. I also have a framed and matted copy of my Avatar on canvas that’s about 12x16 that a friend had done for me as a gift.

But my favorite pieces are two “prints” that likely would be considered cheesy to outsiders. You may recall the Artex paint by numbers kits from the 70’s. My maternal grandmother was widowed in the late 40’s and lost an eye in the same car accident that took her husband. She was also legally blind in her other. She did many of these over a period of time and occasionally I’d help with them. The doe was actually a gift to my Dad’s father and I ended up with it after his passing. The one with the leaping buck was done for me, it sat rolled up for years. Eventually a good friend made a frame from mahogany and had the glass cut to fit. It hung prominently in my first place and now sits center of the cave. Probably will give one to each of my kids even though they never knew her.

Apologizes for the lighting and reflection in the pics.

Comment

79BA1928-6180-4E60-A8DD-C17905F2D645.png

Side note to my buck print:

A couple years ago the Kid and I made a trip to the Remington Museum at the Ilion NY factory. While there we spotted a painting that the Artex people obviously copied, except instead of a deer there was a rabbit running from a hunter and beagle in the background. I cannot find a photo of it anywhere except for a partial view from interior of the museum. The rest of the background is almost identical.

Comment

Very nice Dew, Fitch and PH.

A guy I know is always asking me to see pictures of my Africa hunts. He makes painting out if them, and gives to me to hang up at my office at work, so he can see them every now and then when he stops by. I get the feeling that he sees them as an "permanent loan," as he, like most artists, tend to be protective of their work.

The Kudu picture has been painted with sanded paint, and has a lot of texture. My PH didn't make the cut, and I was transferred out if the Kalahari and into the grasslands, it seems. He also made the frame.

The elephant picture was taken at a vacation spot on a big preserve called Erindi;. A nice place to visit and look at animals, but after nearly two weeks in the mountains and the veldt hunting, it didn't seem like the wildest of places. He told me that it's made to look "right" in dim light, and he's right!
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              79BA1928-6180-4E60-A8DD-C17905F2D645.png

Side note to my buck print:

A couple years ago the Kid and I made a trip to the Remington Museum at the Ilion NY factory. While there we spotted a painting that the Artex people obviously copied, except instead of a deer there was a rabbit running from a hunter and beagle in the background. I cannot find a photo of it anywhere except for a partial view from interior of the museum. The rest of the background is almost identical.
              Is this it? IMG_2400.PNG

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                Is this it? IMG_2400.PNG
                Nope, on the wall in the background of that room you can see the top of the painting, I found that shot of the museum online. You can just make out a mirror reflection of a fallen tree like the one with my buck. In the very background was the same looking barn but maybe an inverted image as well. I thought it was the artwork for an ad but can’t find it anywhere. I need to figure out how to do a search of a photo, maybe they’re close enough it would trigger a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                  Very nice Dew, Fitch and PH.

A guy I know is always asking me to see pictures of my Africa hunts. He makes painting out if them, and gives to me to hang up at my office at work, so he can see them every now and then when he stops by. I get the feeling that he sees them as an "permanent loan," as he, like most artists, tend to be protective of their work.

The Kudu picture has been painted with sanded paint, and has a lot of texture. My PH didn't make the cut, and I was transferred out if the Kalahari and into the grasslands, it seems. He also made the frame.

The elephant picture was taken at a vacation spot on a big preserve called Erindi;. A nice place to visit and look at animals, but after nearly two weeks in the mountains and the veldt hunting, it didn't seem like the wildest of places. He told me that it's made to look "right" in dim light, and he's right!
                  Amflyer; Those paintings look like they belong in a Ruark novel, very nice!

You took the photo of the elephants didn’t you? Stunning.

Comment

Amflyer; Those paintings look like they belong in a Ruark novel, very nice!

I totally agree! Very nice Amflyer!

Comment

Last couple of years, I haven't hunted that much and there has been little success.
                      I do enjoy taking pictures and printing them at a photo kiosk. Mostly to add to my journal. A few, what I call "really nice ones", I've enlarged and framed, but it's been awhile.

fitch270, I done a bit of that "clean up" last year or so.
                      I need to find my camera SD cards. I haven't printed any in a long time.

Comment

Compared to previous years, I didn't take many photos either last season.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          Compared to previous years, I didn't take many photos either last season.
                          jeez, I just checked...I took around 2000 digital pictures in 2020, and 144 film shots. Guess I'm a camera nerd for sure.

Comment

I did, but before I really "got into" photography, or a least knew anything about it. It's a little soft, but with subject matter like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post

jeez, I just checked...I took around 2000 digital pictures in 2020, and 144 film shots. Guess I'm a camera nerd for sure.
                              That's a lot of photos. Most of mine were taken in the bar using the cell phone. The DJ enters a 5-digit number to call up the songs. A pic of the karaoke book pages helps me know which songs are available and possibly to practice.

The Grass Roots.jpg

Unfortunately, this was my best hunting photo and that was with just the cell phone...

20201128_120045.jpg
                              Last edited by PigHunter; 05-04-2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget