X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
    Took my sons to their Grandpa's house this weekend, did some shooting and also cast about 500 45 SWC bullets, sized and lubed. Did it all with a Lee 2-cavity mold. Lead Dipper and a tiny furnace. Kinda fun. If I ever run into enough primers, I'll be in business.
    Bullet casting, case prep and reloading always give me a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

Leave a comment:

• Amflyer
    replied
    Took my sons to their Grandpa's house this weekend, did some shooting and also cast about 500 45 SWC bullets, sized and lubed. Did it all with a Lee 2-cavity mold. Lead Dipper and a tiny furnace. Kinda fun. If I ever run into enough primers, I'll be in business.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Well i sold my buddy my dads old casting pot.
    at least if I ever want to cast I can drive a short distance and hang out w him
    Found a brand NIB Lyman digital pot. Yowza those things are spendy. Proly end up getting a table at a gunshow this summer and moving it and other.

Have not started on inventory of molds.
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    I’d like to know how many pounds of lead split shot I carried around in my mouth before I was 20. I’d typically use 2 removable BB sized sinkers and would bite them on and off as I’d switch between worms and lures. What you don’t know can’t hurt you right?
    We used to play with mercury when I was a kid. Now if a school Chemistry class spills some or breaks a mercury thermometer they cordon off the area around the school a block in every direction.

Bill Gates is going to try his idea of dimming the sun to help with climate change. At his expense he is going to disperse a chemical at the very top of the atmosphere that will reflect the rays back to the sun. What if it does not work and puts us into a constant winter ? Can he retrieve the chemicals and reverse its effect ?

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    I’d like to know how many pounds of lead split shot I carried around in my mouth before I was 20. I’d typically use 2 removable BB sized sinkers and would bite them on and off as I’d switch between worms and lures. What you don’t know can’t hurt you right?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    Well guess i better get to lickin' the 500 or so lbs of lead ingots in the garage.
    whatever floats your boat

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    BTW, put about 50# in a 5.56 ammo can. Can go over 70# but that gets a little unwieldy.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    BTW i have always hated the smell of gas. And dont like the smell of diesel

I have a pretty wicked sense of smell anyway, but those arent just strong, I dont like them at any level.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Well guess i better get to lickin' the 500 or so lbs of lead ingots in the garage.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by CD2 View Post
    Damn, thanks gramps. Didnt know lead was a riaky thing to mess with.

LOL
    Bet you tell folks to not drink and drive on NYE too.

Really, such PSAs dont work.

Either folks act accordingly, or they don't.

Been handling lead for decades and been tested.
    Zero issues.

But I dont smoke and wash my hands often
    Proly why I don't have other issues.

I see tons of people w poor hygiene and zero common sense. Mostly ethnic types.

Lead seems extra hazardous to them, when delivered at velocity
    I used to like the smell of gas and diesel to but that does not mean it is good for you. drink out of garden hoses and lived in houses with lead pipes, just keep on keeping on doing what you do.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Damn, thanks gramps. Didnt know lead was a riaky thing to mess with.

LOL
    Bet you tell folks to not drink and drive on NYE too.

Really, such PSAs dont work.

Either folks act accordingly, or they don't.

Been handling lead for decades and been tested.
    Zero issues.

But I dont smoke and wash my hands often
    Proly why I don't have other issues.

I see tons of people w poor hygiene and zero common sense. Mostly ethnic types.

Lead seems extra hazardous to them, when delivered at velocity

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Never thought of getting into it. I buy from Penn Bullets in Pittsburgh , great variety, good hardness and a good price. and Customer Service.

I buy in 500 boxes and they take me years to use up.

If you do decide, follow all the warnings about handling lead and lead fumes. Lead poisoning is not fun, the lead accumulates in your feet. Just kidding- it is very damaging to a body, even before being shot. .

P.S. the sources of good lead have dried up. a lot of things that were lead are no longer made with lead. anybody that casts has already tied up the remaining sources of good lead.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 04-09-2021, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Found about 300 maxiballs pops cast up, dropped them off at the LGS to sell.

Not a fan of the Maxiball. Do like the .50.cal.Maxihunter 275gr though. Dunno if TC ever sold molds for them

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Once you get your timing down the mold will stay hot and your bullets will be pretty.

Good ventilation mandatory.

Used to cast on rainy weekends w my dad.
    He used to sell damn good boolits at shows.
    Passed away last month.

Hell I might even smoke a cigar while I do some.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    Sizers, lube, lead and a couple dozen molds and 2 pots.

Bench in garage. Couple hundred lbs of lead.

When rhe rainy weather hits i might sit out there w some music and spend a weekend.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget