Gun downsizing complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun downsizing complete

Got it done finally. Believe 15 left is all. Only 2 20ga and 1 1887 left for shotguns. My Bar 7mag and the 2 7-08's my only centerfire rifles. My CZ 17hm2 was last to go. Knives, ammo, assorted gear all cleaned out. Looks different around here. Also, my little gunshop is no more. Owner passed away last Sunday. Going to have an auction Saturday of everything his brother didn't take. I'll go out of curiosity.

Wishing you no regrets on your decisions dewman. Sometimes it's not easy making the logical choices even when things are in perspective.

I'll miss your gun shop stories from the place, seem to recall a daughter of his was involved with the business as far as being able to settle things? Hope the auction goes well.

Comment

Did you sell or pass to relatives ? If you sold how did you do money wise ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Did you sell or pass to relatives ? If you sold how did you do money wise ?
        The guns for the kids are part of what I kept. Extended family have all they want on their own. Finished a little under $7,000

Comment

All of mine (ours?) will go to kids. ....
          well...what survived the fire anyway! !

Comment

Good for you Dewman! Please remind me of your motivation to do this.

I'm trying to force myself into downsizing as a prep to move in a few years. Some will be tough to get rid of but I'm really not using them. Sold only two last year...

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
              Good for you Dewman! Please remind me of your motivation to do this.

I'm trying to force myself into downsizing as a prep to move in a few years. Some will be tough to get rid of but I'm really not using them. Sold only two last year...
              First, I would have left them all to the kids, if they wanted them, which they do not. They're not even wanting them to sell, all 4 are successful on their own and could buy any gun they choose.
              Second. My health will never return to what it was. For what I still hunt I have more than enough guns. Why leave it to a wife to sell who dreaded doing it, to have them possibly fall into the hands of felons or certainly be ripped off by the unscrupulous? I love her far too much to do such a lazy, selfish thing. Not the lasting memory of me I want her to have.
              Third. I only sold the accumulated excess. Now if something new comes along that intrigues me, I'll buy it, enjoy it, and then sell it without considering the slight devaluation it probably will acquire.
              Fourth. Now is a fine time to sell. Prices up, demand up. Simple economic math.
              Fifth. I still have 3 centerfire rifles,3 rimfire rifles, 4 rimfire pistols, 2 centerfire revolvers, & 3 shotguns. Plenty to have.

Comment

I hear ya. The reason I asked is to see if my downsizing motivations line up with yours. My children aren't interested in hunting or shooting so I'm hoping the grandchildren will be. Otherwise things will be sold. Never seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul trailer.

My health is good for now but PigHuntress is showing some decline. She's no longer interested in hunting so I may start using her rifles and shotguns but don't really need them. Most likely those will be the first ones passed on to the grandchildren on her side of the family. She's got a Handy-Rifle with three barrels (.243, .357 Max, .308) and a 20 gauge 870 that are essentially collecting dust. Those will make nice starting firearms for a young hunter.

I could switch PigHuntress over to the 6.5 CM even though she shoots left-handed.
                Last edited by PigHunter; 03-25-2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Health?
                  I'm perfectly healthy! I feel like a 29 year old!
                  It's this raggedy, broken, worn out body that doesn't seem to want to respond properly! !

Comment

I would like to cut my rifle inventory in half. Not sure how much demand there is for hunting rifles. Family is only interested in one that belonged to our Father. Handguns are their main interest now. .
                    Dewman,. do you feel you got fair market price or did you have to discount ? Did you advertise or go consignment or acquaintances ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      I would like to cut my rifle inventory in half. Not sure how much demand there is for hunting rifles. Family is only interested in one that belonged to our Father. Handguns are their main interest now. .
                      Dewman,. do you feel you got fair market price or did you have to discount ? Did you advertise or go consignment or acquaintances ?
                      Did not advertise at all. Same fella wanted most everything. There were a couple I knew other guys had asked about so I called them and they came within a couple days and bought them. According to the fella who bought most of mine. "Classic" guns are in a strong demand right now. You're right about handguns, I turned down a chunk of change for my 29-2 & my 28-2.
                      I've always said a gun is worth exactly what you're willing to take selling or what you're willing to pay buying. Different guns are worth more to one guy than they are to the next. I'm satisfied. I'm sure I'll miss a few from time to time but my memories are all still here.

Comment

I downsized about a yr ago. And then my dad passed. Keeping that #3 project, the rest are at my LGS on consignment. Thank goodness. Didnt want to buy another safe LOL

​​​​​​No added security risk, they all get 4473. And I dont have to deal w folks. Pretty sweet deal.

Bet my dad bought most of them from the shop anyway.

​​​​​​Ah yes, the circle of Remoil.
                        Last edited by CD2; 03-30-2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I’m in the process of moving and my inventory is presenting some challenges. I don’t really have time here to dink around trying to sell stuff, but definitely on the other end in a much more sale friendly environment. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                            I’m in the process of moving and my inventory is presenting some challenges. I don’t really have time here to dink around trying to sell stuff, but definitely on the other end in a much more sale friendly environment. Happy Trails
                            If my observations are anywhere near correct, you've had a pretty tough row over the last couple of years.
                            Just wanted to say, "It's good to see you participating again and I do believe I'm seeing a bit more sparkle!"

Moving is ALWAYS a bear's hiney! I don't care if it's just a pair of socks and a toothbrush!
                            We started doing an annual migration between OK and south TX in 2019. Splitting goods between 2 households should NOT be this complicated! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

If my observations are anywhere near correct, you've had a pretty tough row over the last couple of years.
                              Just wanted to say, "It's good to see you participating again and I do believe I'm seeing a bit more sparkle!"

Moving is ALWAYS a bear's hiney! I don't care if it's just a pair of socks and a toothbrush!
                              We started doing an annual migration between OK and south TX in 2019. Splitting goods between 2 households should NOT be this complicated! LOL!
                              My inventory issues are simple: Too many toys that I don’t use anymore. I know I won’t be doing nearly as much waterfowl hunting due to where we’re going and both of my retrievers are gone, so shotgun inventory is way too high. Since I won’t be hunting much in griz territory, rifles are a bit on the high side. The others have met with a tragic boating accident. Happy Trails

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget